Thinking of having guitar lessons.

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Progrockabuse

Thinking of having guitar lessons.

Post by Progrockabuse »

Recently I've been getting in a rut with my playing. I know what I want to do in my head, but its linking it together on the fretboard. Never had a lesson in my 13 years of guitar playing , but think I could benefit from another person to sit opposite and watch and learn.

Anyone had lessons later in the playing process and felt the benefit?

Wish Gabriel was closer to my house, he'd be a great teacher
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
lorez

Post by lorez »

I did & i struggled to find a teacher that clicked & I didn't feel I was part of a process. The only time I found someone who listened they charged to much. It might be worth also seeking some of the online alternative Skype style options as well.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Depends what you want i guess. If you've been playing for 13 years, then it may be pretty tough to go back and relearn a load of technique, like sweeping, alternate picking etc. However, i reckon you can get loads of satisfaction from learning some more theory.

I had lessons after playing (badly) for around 15 years. Went once or twice a month for about a year. I split it between technique and theory. My teacher was excellent, and helped me put the theory into practice.

I haven't been for nearly a year, and i still feel like i'm progressing off the back of what i learnt.

I'm a bit of a lazy bastard when it comes to practice, not playing, but i think that hurt the technique progress more than the theory. Withe the theory, you just need to grasp it, then start using it.

I'd highly recommend it if you're feeling in a rut.
Gabriel

Re: Thinking of having guitar lessons.

Post by Gabriel »

Progrockabuse wrote:Wish Gabriel was closer to my house, he'd be a great teacher
Too kind!

Anyway it depends what you feel like you want to work on as this is an important factor in choosing the right teacher. Unless you're willing to travel I'd recommend skype lessons as this way you can have lessons with one of the best tutors in the country and not just whoever is local.

I can recommend you some tutors if you'd like, I've been lucky in that I've studied with some really awesome teachers so if you'd like some help finding the right tutor I'm sure I can help you find the right one.

Also a big problem can often be the price of lessons, especially with some of the in demand tutors.
Rayjaysonic

Post by Rayjaysonic »

I just started having lessons for exactly the same reason. Got lucky, very good teacher, very chilled out. I am finding it massively helpful and a lot of fun. It's smoothing out my playing and sorting out a lot of bad habits. Wish I had done it years ago!
Don't look at me I'm irrelevant!
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Worth a try Rob. A friend of mine Martyn Brown takes on advanced students, he's an excellent player in his 50's. I think his studio is in Alfreton.

Not being in a band has left me with little motivation, i pick the guitar up and churn out the usual Hendrix, Sabbath etc. No direction or will to write, just playing for pleasure really. I seem to need a plan or an end product to work to, not really into jamming for the sake of it.

Had a one off lesson after about 15 years. Just to study one piece of music by Steve Hillage, i couldn't work out what he was doing or the thought process that led him to do it. It was useful.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Rayjaysonic wrote:I just started having lessons for exactly the same reason. Got lucky, very good teacher, very chilled out. I am finding it massively helpful and a lot of fun. It's smoothing out my playing and sorting out a lot of bad habits. Wish I had done it years ago!
Who are you having lessons with Ray? Are they Bristol based?
Rayjaysonic

Post by Rayjaysonic »

Lowrez - Jim Johnston, yeah Bristol based. He is an amazing player and a great teacher. Lessons are just fun, which is what they should be. My Fingure picking has gone from a shambles to not so bad in a couple of months. Just look forward to what he is going to challenge me with next!
lorez

Post by lorez »

Rayjaysonic wrote:Lowrez - Jim Johnston, yeah Bristol based. He is an amazing player and a great teacher. Lessons are just fun, which is what they should be. My Fingure picking has gone from a shambles to not so bad in a couple of months. Just look forward to what he is going to challenge me with next!
I know jim, he's a good bloke, player and teacher. He's the one I mentioned above. If I was looking for lessons again I would get back in touch with him again but I would have to justify the costs every week which I cant at the moment. if he did monthly lessons then it might be worth it
Rayjaysonic

Post by Rayjaysonic »

lorez wrote:
I know jim, he's a good bloke, player and teacher. He's the one I mentioned above. If I was looking for lessons again I would get back in touch with him again but I would have to justify the costs every week which I cant at the moment. if he did monthly lessons then it might be worth it
Yeah, top guy. Well worth what he charges. Yeah, it adds up over the year but its like only the same as going to the pub for a couple of pints these days. More than happy to sacrifice a night in the pub for a lesson. Holy crap I must be getting old!!!