Mustang wiring mod

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Noisy Cat

Mustang wiring mod

Post by Noisy Cat »

Would this be possible? Anyone done it?

Upper switch
Up - neck pickup only
Middle - both pickups
Down - bridge pickup only

Lower switch - only active when upper switch is in middle position
Up - both pickups in parallel, in phase
Middle - both pickups in parallel, out of phase
Down - both pickups in series, like a humbucker
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

an luthier done for me

switch one Neck-Both-Bridge /// Switch 2 Split-Series-Parallel // Push-pull Alpha 500k Phase off (works only at both or humbucker)

hi ,

Inspirations :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Precise dwarf bravery
honeyiscool

Re: Mustang wiring mod

Post by honeyiscool »

Trying to do too much with a pair of slide switches is a bad idea and will result in some positions that make no sense whatsoever, unless you have special four pole slide switches or something.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

honeyiscool wrote:Trying to do too much with a pair of slide switches is a bad idea and will result in some positions that make no sense whatsoever...
Um.. why?

It's completely possible to use stock Mustang switches for reasonable purposes without having redundant positions. The last time I had some I had them wired

Neck/Both/Bridge
Standard controls/Bypass Vol/Bypass Vol & Tone

There's nothing complicated about that and every position is easy to understand. The middle position on the control switch might have been bypass tone.
Shabba.
George

Post by George »

James wrote:
honeyiscool wrote:Trying to do too much with a pair of slide switches is a bad idea and will result in some positions that make no sense whatsoever...
Um.. why?

It's completely possible to use stock Mustang switches for reasonable purposes without having redundant positions. The last time I had some I had them wired

Neck/Both/Bridge

There's nothing complicated about that and every position is easy to understand. The middle position on the control switch might have been bypass tone.
Hmm that sounds really useful

Do you have the diagram anywhere?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

George wrote:Hmm that sounds really useful

Do you have the diagram anywhere?
Indeed. It looks complicated to wire compared to the stock switches but obviously once done it's very easy to use and far more intuitive than the stock switches.
► Show Spoiler
This is also a great example of this -
James wrote:
murdok wrote:Fender has produced probably over a million mustangs since 1964, if the bridge needed to be replaced, they would have fixed it by now.
There are plenty of issues with Fender guitars that don't get fixed because guitarists are typically traditionalists to the point of being irrational and would have rather have things be as close as possible to the original spec than see them improved. I'm not saying the Mustang bridge is necessarily in that category just that the argument 'if it was broke Fender would have fixed it' doesn't hold up well because of the tastes of people who buy guitars.

*amber*
Something wrong with the original design that Fender could easily fix but never have. It took them 50 years to realise lowering the switches was a good idea.
Shabba.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

iCEByTes wrote:an luthier done for me

God damn. He dan electro shielded that motherfucker. Did he copper wrap the coils too? I bet you that thing is quiet!
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

James wrote:Um.. why?

Neck/Both/Bridge

Your switching is downright simple compared to OP. Try finding a scheme that does parallel & series & phase switching with a pair of slide switches that don't involve a Morse code to decipher.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

this has everything the OP asked for, just in different places

i found half this schem claiming to be what i wanted but it didn't work! the original author had something really fishy going on at the pots, so at the pots side its standard... i mainly use both in-phase in parallel, but its nice to have the options

db

Post by db »

The wiring diagram posted by Will in this thread here looks pretty complicated (to use, not to wire), but i did it with my musicmaster (with mustang electronics), and it has some pretty nice sounds (any combination of series/parellel, in/out of phase)... and once you get used to it, it does make sense. One switch for phase, one switch for series/parallel.