Does anybody else think Kurt Cobain worship is annoying?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Does the shortscale fandom go too far with the Kurt Cobain worship?

Yes, it's similar to Dimebag Darell worship
35%
Yes, but it's not that bad
8%
No, but there are a few people who are too obsessed
57%

Total votes: 37
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

SKC Willie wrote:
honeyiscool wrote:Plus he's a musician.
That's debatable.
Not anymore.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

Freddy V-C wrote:Here's me in my Kurdtz phase, circa 2009. Doesn't every guitarist have this phase?
► Show Spoiler
Shaggy hair and grotty jumper, innit.
I THINK YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THE THURSTON MOORE WORSHIP THREAD, FREDERICK.
jbuonacc

Post by jbuonacc »

i'd have to admit that i've been a big Nirvana fan ever since 'Nevermind' hit, and i probably appreciate them as much now as ever.

never really understood hero worship, whether it be Cobain or anyone else. actually, hero worship is totally fucked up and in general deserves its own thread. the way people idolize sports figures absolutely kills me. Cobain is a good example though, people get really weird concerning him. having been a fan when they were current and there was still some shred of hope that they might make their way up to this area on tour, i can't imagine what it must be like getting into them now. they really were such a big thing back then, i wonder what it must be like just discovering them within the past few years.

signature guitars are an interesting thing, but i can't say i'd ever want one. i could see making a replica of something on your own if you're into that sort of thing, but a factory fresh copy (complete with faux signature) that anyone can go out and buy just cheapens the whole thing. i think they'd be cool to hang on the wall, but i don't know how anyone doesn't feel a bit goofy playing one.

i remember when the Jag-Stang came out, thinking how cool it was that Cobain had designed his "dream Fender". then i realized how fucking god awful ugly the thing was. wtf? it still blows my mind how wrong they went with that thing. beautiful neck and a nice concept, but that thing is bullshit.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

HenryS wrote:
Noisy Cat wrote:
jagsonic wrote:But never forget to be yourself and not a copy of your stars.
THIS
+1
One of my friends actually did a (very fucking good) TEDx talk about this:
[youtube][/youtube]
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Concretebadger wrote:the Johnny Marr Jag [...] it fixes some of the common complaints tha Jag players often have while maintaining the things that make Jags special.
and adding a big smelly signature right across the headstock. no need for that.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Well, Cobain was the greatest musician of the 20th Century, and at least the most important poet since Jim Morrison.
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

daftsupernova wrote:One of my friends actually did a (very fucking good) TEDx talk about this:
That was pretty cool, who is she?
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Henry, don't be the guy that passes out at parties, people tend to draw facial hair on you with sharpies when that happens.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

lol cobain is actual garbage
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Shotgun mouthwash.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
George

Post by George »

exploding head syndrome
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

good band, great songwriter, cool guitar.
if it werent for nirvana i don't think i would have found out about music, or have picked up playing. so.... i like em. but the kurdtz kid thing is just pathetic.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

daftsupernova wrote:
HenryS wrote:
Noisy Cat wrote: THIS
+1
One of my friends actually did a (very fucking good) TEDx talk about this:
[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks for posting this dude. She's totally right, and I looked up her band and they are fucking awesome.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
HenryS

Post by HenryS »

71Smallbox wrote:Henry, don't be the guy that passes out at parties, people tend to draw facial hair on you with sharpies when that happens.
Ah-ha! but I drew the mustache on my own face!
2001 Epiphone Slasher
2003 Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore w/ GFS Mean 90's
2011 Squier VM Jaguar HH (sold)
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

HenryS wrote:
71Smallbox wrote:Henry, don't be the guy that passes out at parties, people tend to draw facial hair on you with sharpies when that happens.
Ah-ha! but I drew the mustache on my own face!
Then there is no hope for you son!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I never was a fan of Nirvana, always thought that their music was too aggressive and pointlessly destructive. But I respect Kurt as an extraordinary person and gifted songwriter. I can put up with his aggression, self-destruction because of his pain, I mean he was real, sincere. But I can't stand the whole legion of tuneless, mediocre, heavy sounding bands that howls about hopelessness of the life. Shut up! Tell me something that I don't know, I myself can throw out all my shit on a listener and it is the least thing you can do in the rock'n'roll. If people killed me after such a concert, I think it would be rightly.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

sunshiner wrote:I never was a fan of Nirvana, always thought that their music was too aggressive
I don't find anything past Bleach to be "too aggressive", I think it was a well packaged pop placement of angst with pretty little bows for the public to consume.
sunshiner wrote:it is the least thing you can do in the rock'n'roll.
:lol: I love this line!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

They were equivalent to the Beatles in their generation. It was a complete new sound that everyone wanted and it blew up like beatlemania but nirvanamania. If you think about it, nirvana was the last band to do this. There's due to be a new one soon.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Sorry if some phrases from me sound odd)) I'm not a native speaker and it is a little bit complicated to translate my thoughts to English correct.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

sunshiner wrote:Sorry if some phrases from me sound odd)) I'm not a native speaker and it is a little bit complicated to translate my thoughts to English correct.
I meant no offense, I just love how you phrased it. Your phrasing doesn't sound odd, it sounds cool.
Punkacc9 wrote:They were equivalent to the Beatles in their generation. It was a complete new sound that everyone wanted and it blew up like beatlemania but nirvanamania. If you think about it, nirvana was the last band to do this. There's due to be a new one soon.
I really hope there is, current indie music is so vanilla and boring.
Last edited by 71Smallbox on Wed May 01, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.