early 90's reissue mustangs

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I had a 90s Mustang. To me, they have inferior hardware to recent models (gappy saddles are the most obvious difference). They're fine guitars, though. Great necks.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
murdok

Post by murdok »

what was the general era for gappy saddles? I'm pretty sure my 96 mustang don't have them, my 2004 mustang definitely has gappy saddles, but my 2009 mustang does not
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Take a good look at Apricat's Mustang.
Full size the pic if you must.

I couldn't put a cigarette paper through the gap between those saddles. That thing eats 69 RIs for lunch.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Maybe the CIJs made by Tokai from 1997-2008? Early and later MIJs would have been made by Fuji-gen.
smokes

Post by smokes »

I have a 93 fuji genn white/red tort mustang! I think it was among the first in the UK? The stock bridge on mine was definitely not gappy. She's really light, and is loud and vibrant unplugged, though I'm sure not as much as when I first got her... but she's currently got a Jazzmaster bridge as a stop gap so maybe that's something to do with it. Neck is thin and shallow. Sounds awesome. Would a 93 be worth more than later ones?

Here she is.... the non fitting white guard is temporary. I had to use the tort guard as a template to de-humbucker my newer stang.

If you can't be careful, be dangerous.
smokes

Post by smokes »

I dunno why photobooth flipped the image. It's not a lefty.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

I believe my Jazzmaster is a 91 or 92. As you can see, the white has aged nicely. The pickup covers are crazy aged looking, people always ask me if its vintage. :roll:
Last edited by 71Smallbox on Wed May 01, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

71Smallbox wrote:The pickup covers are crazy aged looking, people always ask me if its vintage. :roll:
It sounds REALLY weird to say it, but technically, it IS vintage.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
smokes

Post by smokes »

That Jazzmaster is lovely!

Does anyone remember the blonde (dark blonde?) and tort Jaguars and Jazzmasters from 94-95 ish, the ones with the gold hardware? At that time they were the only kind I ever saw... but I've not even seen a pic of one yet on shortscale.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

smokes wrote:That Jazzmaster is lovely!
Thanks, she sounds good too :)
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

smokes wrote:I have a 93 fuji genn white/red tort mustang! I think it was among the first in the UK? The stock bridge on mine was definitely not gappy. She's really light, and is loud and vibrant unplugged, though I'm sure not as much as when I first got her... but she's currently got a Jazzmaster bridge as a stop gap so maybe that's something to do with it. Neck is thin and shallow. Sounds awesome. Would a 93 be worth more than later ones?

Here she is.... the non fitting white guard is temporary. I had to use the tort guard as a template to de-humbucker my newer stang.

holy shit. I think I liked white-on-white Jaguars, but it is fucking beautiful on a Mustang.
now I want to buy a sonic "blue" VM Mustang just to put a white guard on it.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I had a '94 'stang in white and I think it had an N serial number. It was much closer to oly white than vintage white. Slab body, laminate fretboard, white peg tuners, gold logo. I also had one of those blonde jags with the gold hardware, they come up on here every so often. It was ugly :lol: Might've been better white chrome hardware, or if it was transparent. But it wasn't. It was a solid yellow that was almost the same color as the gold. I refinished it green and sold it to someone on here yeeeears ago. A few random pictures related to both

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

smokes wrote:Does anyone remember the blonde (dark blonde?) and tort Jaguars and Jazzmasters from 94-95 ish, the ones with the gold hardware? At that time they were the only kind I ever saw... but I've not even seen a pic of one yet on shortscale.
DasBeef has (had?) one.

Edit: and here's a picture
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
smokes

Post by smokes »

daftsupernova wrote:
holy shit. I think I liked white-on-white Jaguars, but it is fucking beautiful on a Mustang.
now I want to buy a sonic "blue" VM Mustang just to put a white guard on it.
Thanks buddy! An excuse to post another picture

The white guard doesnt actually fit properly though...I was really curious about how a black or white late 70s style one piece Bronco/Musicmaster shape guard would look on her!

As for the gold hardware Jags - I wasn't big on the gold at the time either, but when some gold plating ages / wears through it looks kind of nickel-ish... Was thinking they would age gracefully?
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

Mine is a cij from 97; the saddles have gaps between and it's the best "stay in tune" guitar i ever had! even if i use a lot the trem. but the sound is tiny, i think due to the very very thin neck. However it's very nice to play and i love it!
I prefer the mij from the 90's to the 00's or cij.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

:wink: