Early '90s CIJ Mustang body material?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

mountain2012

Early '90s CIJ Mustang body material?

Post by mountain2012 »

What material do you think the early '90s crafted in Japan Mustangs were made of? Basswood, Poplar, Alder?
"teh most gains"
71Smallbox

Re: Early '90s CIJ Mustang body material?

Post by 71Smallbox »

mountain2012 wrote:What material do you think the early '90s crafted in Japan Mustangs were made of? Basswood, Poplar, Alder?
Probably basswood, like the Jaguars and Jazzmasters of the time unless the finish was a sunburst, then it may be poplar?
mountain2012

Post by mountain2012 »

Thanks smallbox. I should have specified, the early '90s CIJ Mustangs.
"teh most gains"
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Why does it matter? You won't be able to notice any discernable difference tonally between any of those 3 woods.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Maybe not but it's nice to know. Plus basswood usually means a thick plasticky finish to protect what is quite a soft wood. I don't believe there's any tone impact but I'd rather opt for something other usually.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Wouldn't early 90s have been MIJ, not CIJ? Anyway, my '94 was definitely basswood.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That timeframe is a pain in the ass. AFAIK the sunburst/trans blonde were all alder with the solid colours being basswood esp (post 95 and onward). Before that the Japanese market guitars were allegedly all alder with the foreign market guitars being basswood.

It seems like bullshit but I has 2 early 90s Jags from the same year (via serial number). The sunburst (alder) one had all the brass shielding like a vintage one but the solid colour (CAR) one had none of that.

EDIT mine were both MIJ, before the CIJ turnover but both were distinctly different.
smokes

Post by smokes »

Dave wrote:Maybe not but it's nice to know. Plus basswood usually means a thick plasticky finish to protect what is quite a soft wood. I don't believe there's any tone impact but I'd rather opt for something other usually.
I have a 93 or 94 Mustang which I understand to be basswood. The finish is paper thin - if you hold it at an angle you can just about make out the texture of the wood grain on the back, though I think this may have become more pronounced over time. This guitar seems more susceptible to damage than my others.
If you can't be careful, be dangerous.
smokes

Post by smokes »

Oh sorry, mines not a 'crafted in Japan' :oops:
If you can't be careful, be dangerous.
stain

Post by stain »

Japan Mustangs:
- MG 65 - poplar.
- MG 69, 73 - basswood.
- MG 77- ash.
- Kurt Cobain Mustang - alder.
Fender Mustang (SD Little ‘59 SL59-1b, SD Classic Stack STK-S4n).
Yerasov Goblin Tube Amp.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Bamboo :wink: