New Fender Guitar Project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

bluesngrunge

New Fender Guitar Project

Post by bluesngrunge »

Around next January I'm gonna start building a guitar that I designed by mixing and matching shapes and styles from other fender guitars. I'm going to be getting a body blank from Warmoth, but I'v never done woodwork before, so I'm going to have to find somebody to shape the body for me.(The blank comes with pickup routs and a neck pocket)
I also need a custom pickguard cut.

Here's the plan
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

And sorry if you can't read the picture. It's was really rushed :(
((teabag))
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? The handwriting, colored pencil, and lined paper kinda tip me off, that's it. I think this is a really interesting concept, I've thought of something similar before. Is it going to be a normal Strat body, or are you making a custom shape body similar to a Strat?
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ (she/they)
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Also, I would recommend PMing cooterfinger about making you a custom body and pickguard, he does a lot of project bodies and guards for others around here. Welcome to Shortscale!
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

daftsupernova wrote:Just out of curiosity, how old are you? The handwriting, colored pencil, and lined paper kinda tip me off, that's it. I think this is a really interesting concept, I've thought of something similar before. Is it going to be a normal Strat body, or are you making a custom shape body similar to a Strat?
I'm 15. Also, The upper horn is going to be similar to the fender performer's, but less extreme,and the lower horn is going to be like a mustang's only slimmer. It'll also have an offset waist and a jag style butt.
((teabag))
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

bluesngrunge wrote:
daftsupernova wrote:Just out of curiosity, how old are you? The handwriting, colored pencil, and lined paper kinda tip me off, that's it. I think this is a really interesting concept, I've thought of something similar before. Is it going to be a normal Strat body, or are you making a custom shape body similar to a Strat?
I'm 15. Also, The upper horn is going to be similar to the fender performer's, but less extreme,and the lower horn is going to be like a mustang's only slimmer. It'll also have an offset waist and a jag style butt.
Ah, 15, okay. I just thought it was funny, because I did something like this when I was 15 (two years ago) but with a Vintage Modified Jaguar.

Anyway, so the upper horn is going to look like a smoothed out Performer, lower horn looking like a slimmer Mustang horn, offset waist, and huge ass.

I'm trying to imagine this. I'll be back. Maybe Punkacc9 can help out, he's a photoshop wiz with making new guitar designs.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Okay, this is probably not at all how you imagined it, but I did the best I could do to make a silhouette of how I imagine it might look like, possibly. My photoshop skills are not the best, but I did what I could. Again, Punkacc9 could help you out better than I could.

As you can probably see, I took the upper horn of the Performer and rounded off the outside edge to make it seem less extreme, I took the Mustang's lower horn and deepened the cutaway a bit, and finally I added the Jaguar butt to make up the lower half of the guitar.

EDIT: It looks a bit like a Jazz Bass with altered horns, doesn't it?

bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

daftsupernova wrote:Okay, this is probably not at all how you imagined it, but I did the best I could do to make a silhouette of how I imagine it might look like, possibly. My photoshop skills are not the best, but I did what I could. Again, Punkacc9 could help you out better than I could.

As you can probably see, I took the upper horn of the Performer and rounded off the outside edge to make it seem less extreme, I took the Mustang's lower horn and deepened the cutaway a bit, and finally I added the Jaguar butt to make up the lower half of the guitar.

EDIT: It looks a bit like a Jazz Bass with altered horns, doesn't it?

Thanks! That looks exactly like what I was going for. Well, maybe a little less pointed on the top of the performer horn.
And,yeah, it does. lol
((teabag))
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

How is this?

bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

daftsupernova wrote:How is this?

Sweet! Thanks alot man.
((teabag))
George

Post by George »

id get a body blank from a local lumber yard

will be way cheaper

also, yeah cooterfinger is your man for building a body, and will no doubt be able to collaborate with you to realise your ideas
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

I've been working on getting everything together. Like I said, I'm not planning on starting until January. So i'll wait a while before I talk to cooterfinger.

Here's the finished out line

and the decal
Specs: Jazzmaster one piece maple neck, toronado bridge, ash body,1 meg pots, seafoam green finish with mop pickguard.
Pickups; Neck: jag in mustang cover
Mid: strat in mustang cover
Bridge: duo sonic
(All Seymour Duncan antiquitys)
((teabag))
cur

Post by cur »

Why do people keep putting Fender on their home built, non-Fender guitars? I don't get it.

bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

cur wrote:Why do people keep putting Fender on their home built, non-Fender guitars? I don't get it.
It looks better and more authentic. That bare headstock just looks weird.
((teabag))
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

bluesngrunge wrote:Specs: Jazzmaster one piece maple neck, toronado bridge, ash body,1 meg pots, seafoam green finish with mop pickguard.
Pickups; Neck: jag in mustang cover
Mid: strat in mustang cover
Bridge: duo sonic
(All Seymour Duncan antiquitys)
Not to shit on your parade, but you are aware that Jag, Strat, and Duo Sonic pickups are essentially all the same? The only difference between them being that Jaguar pickups have a metal claw, Strat pickups have a little triangular base, and Duo Sonic pickups are Mustang pickups are Strat pickups with flat poles. Especially with a 25.5 scale, you're just going to end up with a wonky looking Stratocaster.

I think you are better off with a matched set of pickups from GFS. They cost less and sound just as good. They even have Jazzmaster and lipstick pickups, if you want something different.
bluesngrunge wrote:
cur wrote:Why do people keep putting Fender on their home built, non-Fender guitars? I don't get it.
It looks better and more authentic. That bare headstock just looks weird.
Then make your own decal, don't put Fender on it.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

it's your guitar, put whatever fucking sticker you want on it. just don't EVER sell it as a fender, because it's still not.

i think it's kind of a cracked out design, but hey, that dude made that jagstang and was in love with it. knock it out, and then try another one when you get comfortable with all them toolz.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Draft #3

luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Doog wrote:Draft #3
β–Ί Show Spoiler
lol
cur

Post by cur »

I just don't get why Fender? I can see putting something up there, but what does it have to do with fender? Other people do this I am just not sure why.

Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Hi, new here. Thought I'd have a go on the general body shape.