need help from Kluson history nerds

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

need help from Kluson history nerds

Post by robroe »

My 64 mustang has double row white button klusons on it.

at some point in its life one broke and a single line kluson white button was replaced.

im trying to figure out when they went from double row to single row? so i can get some kind of idea the age of the repair.

dots wrote:incesticide
smokes

Post by smokes »

I've got a 61 duo sonic neck that has single row tuners - the say 'deluxe' down the middle, like your replacement one. I assumed these had never left the neck. Does that mean that mine are all replacements? :evil:
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

thats a really good question! im not sure tho, i can't remember what my 59 duo sonic had, i think they were single row tho....... i wish i had some pics somewhere to prove or disprove this.
EDIT*
Last edited by robert(original) on Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smokes

Post by smokes »

So the replacement on the Mustang could be an older tuner than the rest? In which case your not finding out when the repair was made. Pisser.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

single line it is! THO!!!! these tuners were not original to this neck! I am alsmot 100 percent sure that they are era correct tho!
im assuming that perhaps around 64 or so kluson switched from the single line to the double.
so in all reality, your guitars replacement tuner could be 6mos to a few years older than the rest of the tuners. this is all just a guess tho, based on what was said earlier.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that would make sense!

they didn't use a new one to make a replacement, they used an old one.

thats what I did on my jag-stang when i busted the stock chrome high E string off it back in highschool. I liked the look of the white plastic ones so i got an old vintage one for it. 5 stock metal 1 dirty as fuck old plastic kluson
dots wrote:incesticide
smokes

Post by smokes »

robroe wrote: thats what I did on my jag-stang when i busted the stock chrome high E string off it back in highschool. I liked the look of the white plastic ones so i got an old vintage one for it. 5 stock metal 1 dirty as fuck old plastic kluson
it's what he (teh kurdtz) would've wanted.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

Yup - looks like an old tuner was used for the repair. The changeover from single line to double was made in early 1964.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I have a similar thing on my 61 Jazzmaster... opposite to your problem. Shame they're not the same type or we could have traded...

smokes

Post by smokes »

othomas2 wrote:I have a similar thing on my 61 Jazzmaster... opposite to your problem. Shame they're not the same type or we could have traded...
You can pop the tuning peg and gear out of the casing pretty easily - then you could swap the covers, unless I'm missing some other difference?
Auriemma

Post by Auriemma »

Take a look here.... Dr. Vintage - Kluson Tuners
I know it's mainly for Gibsons, but you may pull some good info from it.
smokes

Post by smokes »

oops sorry, I was (potentially) talking out my arse. I've never even tried to open a kluson - I was thinking F tuners.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yeah klusons are crimped on the base. the cover on schaller F tuners just sits over the gears and can be easily removed. early fullterton made F tuners are more firmly affixed, although I've heard some people have pulled them off with some effort. myself, once I saw how difficult they were to remove I just left them.