NGD - I made a Jazzy Partsmaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mkt3000

NGD - I made a Jazzy Partsmaster

Post by mkt3000 »

So... I was going to do this project - http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52087

But then a combination of my impatience, and my desire to finish this in some way kicked in. I decided to finish it with parts I had at home, and I'd spend $50 to get the last few pieces I needed.

Parts:

It's got a Squier VM hardtail body + Squier VM trad neck (that's how i'm telling them apart) with a Brauskoh decal I had at home.

The neck pickup is a Duncan Designed, and the bridge is a ceramic Tele pickup from an MIM Standard Tele hotglued to the inside of the JM pickup cover. It was the only pickup I could get on a short notice where the polepieces sort of matched the holes in the cover since my DD Bridge pickup was dead.

The pickguard is an AVRI tort guard I've had for a while, the Bigsby is a B50, and the bridge is a schaller roller that were both part of the original build Idea.

The 3 way switch came from an old LP copy I had a while back.

The pots are dime size 500k pots from a Vista Jagmaster, and the switch on the upper horn is the original bright/dark switch from my Excelsior.

The knobs came from an old amp orject, , and the output jack came from an old strat jack I had at home.

Basically, the only money I ended up spending was on a set of Fender Klusons, a neckplate and a set of strings at the local music store, which were the $50 I spent.

Anyway, she's a BRIIIIIIGHT sounding guitar, but sounds AMAZING with some dirt. The pickups blend together quite well, and the tuning stability is rock solid. The switch on the upper horn is wired right now as a kill switch, but I might change that later. Also, since I had no foam, I actually put some springs under the pickups, which are actually working quite well. I cut a piece of tort to go over the strat jack, but I think I'm going to swing by a surf/skate shop tomorrow and I'll just put a sticker on it.

Here's pics of the guitar, and the build:

Build:

► Show Spoiler
Guitar:

► Show Spoiler
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

YES.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Is that a Schaller roller bridge? I've got one on my Flame and I love it. You can adjust the string spacing, it's comfy for palm muting, good radius and easy to raise/lower.

I was wonder what you were gonna do with the strat jack hole.... like how you made a cover for it.

Never seen Jazzmaster pup held up by springs. Always seem em on foam or door seal insulation.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Quite surprised that I like mustard as a colour for a guitar? but it looks pretty good with the red
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I'll put my personal anti-Bigsby prejudice to one side for a moment to say: good job! The colour scheme does actually work better than I would've expected it to. Noice.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

That looks fantastic! Love the colour scheme.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Love it! For a partsmaster it looks well planned out and executed, great color scheme.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the strat jack delete, but thinking about it, I probably prefer it to the strat jack
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Love it. And so do your dogs, apparently. I guess that makes them... Jazzmaster pups. (I know, I know :roll:)
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Joey wrote:Is that a Schaller roller bridge?
Yep. It's my first time using one, and I'm very much impressed with it.
Joey wrote:Never seen Jazzmaster pup held up by springs. Always seem em on foam or door seal insulation.
My tech suggested it actually, they're P90 springs. We drilled 1/4" holes in the body to hold the springs, and glued them in there. The springs on the neck pickup are one spring that was cut in half, and the bridge pickup are two springs each cut about 1/4" off.
Nick wrote:Only thing I'm not sure about is the strat jack delete, but thinking about it, I probably prefer it to the strat jack
I'm still not 100% convinced, although most of the people who have seen the guitar in person seem to like it. I picked up a sticker at a surf shop yesterday that I'm gonna try out.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

So, left or right?

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Right. The rectangular sticker jars against the curves of the guitar too much.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

If you filled the hole with epoxy (or anything really) and covered it with a non-geometric sticker, like a pin-up or a fish or something that could match the curve of the guitar, that could work. Or if you had a custom pickguard made that wrapped around the tail piece, that could look neat too.
Hell is other people.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

StevePirates wrote:If you filled the hole with epoxy (or anything really) and covered it with a non-geometric sticker, like a pin-up or a fish or something that could match the curve of the guitar, that could work. Or if you had a custom pickguard made that wrapped around the tail piece, that could look neat too.
Pretty much this.

Also I was thinking...if you wanted to add a built in fuzz or boost circuit, it would look really cool having the switch or knob on that little plate.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i dig it, its a good job, but i really don't like the jack cover, tho. if i were you i would put a normal jack ring in there and pretend like it does something, like tell folks there is a stereo/fuzz/delay circuit in it, but they cant hear it, becuz
1. they don't have robot ears
2. you don't have the 9-volt battery hooked up atm.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Shoulda put dem rhythm circuit controls on the jack plate. The whole things pretty good looking though, I prefer it with the jack cover to the sticker just because it retains a cleaner coordinated look.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Small update. I sold some stuff locally, and got these for really cheap:

So this weekend, the Jazzy gets an upgrade :D
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10