blue jazzmaster project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

finboy

blue jazzmaster project

Post by finboy »

Happened upon a body on offset, had a pile of spare parts that I am trying to downsize/use, so its time to start another project

the body is in the mail along with some other small bits, but here is a preview...

the body on the old guitar:

I am currently using gun oil to finish an allparts tele deluxe style neck (maple with the bullet and big headstock), I have some gibson p90's coming in the mail going under aged nickle covers like these...

to finish it off i have some aged white witch hats, a paul rhoney hard tail adapter, and I am going to put a jazz bass bridge cover over the trem area a la the SG-GT

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I like it except for the odd way the stripes end on the back.

It's got a cool relic'd look to it.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I love it! That thing is going to sound balls to the wall with the Gibson P90s, those are my favorite pickups right now. Make sure the covers you have are sized for SAE polepieces.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Love it! Has a cool 70's vibe about it.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Joey

Post by Joey »

Those JM painted bodies go for under $200 on ebay. I absolutely love em. If you do not get along with the body, hit me up, I'll take it off your hands.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I found your actual guitar photo's saved on my laptop. It sold on ebay around Dec 2012. Made by MJT (Mark Jenny Tele) and his son Matt.

finboy

Post by finboy »

This neck and a 24" maple neck for a mustang project are coated in about 3 or 4 coats of boiled linseed oil, and are drying. Tomorrow or Monday I will coat both in gun oil, let them cure, then I just have to wait on the bits to arrive. The downside is that the neck needs the tuners and nut mounted, I don't have the skill or tools for that so it will be going to the luthier when that point comes. He is back logged with a couple of my guitars already, so completion might be a while out. The upside is that I can now wire it, set it up, etc. which is miles ahead of where I was even months ago.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

This looks awesome. I actually like the abrupt compstripe box-end on the back. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Hell is other people.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Became curious after reading Joey's response and found MJT's website:

http://mjtagedfinishes.com/

I also dig how the stripe wraps around the back, then ends. Never really got on with how Fender stops the comp stripes at the edge of the guitar, but makes sense from a manufacturing and cost standpoint.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

StevePirates wrote:This looks awesome. I actually like the abrupt compstripe box-end on the back. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Same here, it just looks right. I love it.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
finboy

Post by finboy »

Initial mockup, neck needs more finishing, next time I would just go mjt for $300, finishing necks suuuuucks

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I love the bass cover concept.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

im not sure how i feel about the bridge cover. But i love everything else about that guitar
finboy

Post by finboy »

Bridge cover+hard tail = $40, muuuuch cheaper than avri trem, staytrem collet, staytrem bridge, etc.