GASin' for a PRS

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

finboy

Post by finboy »

dub wrote:This is pretty hot.

Can someone photoshop the lower bout to resemble the upper bout?

I imagine it would look like a Dan Armstrong
blane

Post by blane »

The santana model has equal bouts.

Guitars:
2014 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
1998 Paul Reed Smith CE22
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

I always wrote PRS off as pointlessly expensive guitars for people who want to show off, until a friend of mine bought a Custom 22 and started raving about it. Then I bought an SE Singlecut and it was my main guitar for years. IMO, the 25" scale, 10" radius and the shape / size of the frets on PRS guitars is just about the most playable combination ever. Also, there's more to PRS than PRS, if that makes any sense. Check out the Mira and Starla if you're not into the traditional PRS look.

James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I've never played a bad one. The SE models are a different thing altogether but are still quality guitars in their price range.
finboy

Post by finboy »

Dillon wrote:I always wrote PRS off as pointlessly expensive guitars for people who want to show off, until a friend of mine bought a Custom 22 and started raving about it. Then I bought an SE Singlecut and it was my main guitar for years. IMO, the 25" scale, 10" radius and the shape / size of the frets on PRS guitars is just about the most playable combination ever. Also, there's more to PRS than PRS, if that makes any sense. Check out the Mira and Starla if you're not into the traditional PRS look.

I like the looks of the Starla but the Richmond empire pulls off the look much better (see lower bout), and is a fantastic playing/sounding guitar for many less $$$$

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

I used to have these. Nice guitars

Joey

Post by Joey »

I honestly don't play short scales at all. I'm just a groupie that hangs out here.

Get a Fender Flame. Can be had for $600 - $1200. I bought my Flame at a blues club from the guy that was playing that night. I only paid $200 for it. Some crackhead installed a Jaguar tremolo on it.

Mine is a autumn burst Standard

Elite Model

Ultra Model <-------> $1500+, super rare, only seen 2 come up for sale in years
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Westy's mahogany one on the left is pretty classy. No silly finishes or flash.

I like these ones. They remind me of a Hagstrom Scandi.

PRS DC-3

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Here's a photo of Mary Timony out of Helium playing a PRS back in the day. Now they were a cool band.

Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Mo Rawka wrote:But I think that guitars like this are awesome. They play quite well and look quite nice.
I could not think of a better example of a more hideously tacky guitar. blue flame maple with clashing gold hardware are you fucking kidding me. christ.

I do think the guitars timhulio and dub posted are pretty cool. the santana model would be cool if it was more plainly finished. hate the stupid bird inlay crap.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

Mages wrote:hate the stupid bird inlay crap.
nailed it. they ruin so many mediocre guitars with them.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It is hard to find photos of PRS with broken headstock in the web. I think that PRS headstock design is stronger than Gibson's. It is shorter, it has shallower angle, it doesn't have enormous trussrod recess and it seems that it is a little bit thicker. Gibson increased the angle of the headstock to avoid popping out of the strings from nut slots. If you look to the Gibson open book headstock in full face, you will see that strings go from tuners through the nut with different angles, with shallow headstock angle strings tend to pop out. While PRS style headstock allows strings to go through the nut almost without any angle(again if you look to the face of the headstock), so with the shallower headstock angle strings are sitting in the slots properly. Again shallower headstock angle means that headstock is stronger, IMHO. And about overall design... I'm starting to like it.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

i woke up in a new bugatti
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I've never dreamt of bugatti, always dreamt of yellow submarine
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dub

Post by dub »

This just appeared for sale locally. I think if I was going to buy a PRS/superstrat it would be this one.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Pic of my old McCarty Standard. I sold it to get my AVRI Jaguar.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

dub wrote:Image

This just appeared for sale locally. I think if I was going to buy a PRS/superstrat it would be this one.
I think with some chrome buckers and maybe cream rings, that would actually look straight class.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I think SHUT UP
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

finboy wrote:
Dillon wrote:I always wrote PRS off as pointlessly expensive guitars for people who want to show off, until a friend of mine bought a Custom 22 and started raving about it. Then I bought an SE Singlecut and it was my main guitar for years. IMO, the 25" scale, 10" radius and the shape / size of the frets on PRS guitars is just about the most playable combination ever. Also, there's more to PRS than PRS, if that makes any sense. Check out the Mira and Starla if you're not into the traditional PRS look.
I like the looks of the Starla but the Richmond empire pulls off the look much better (see lower bout), and is a fantastic playing/sounding guitar for many less $$$$

Hmmm, I like Godin (same company I assume), some of the best guitars for the money, but I much prefer the look of the PRS, personally. Plus the Empire is a completely different guitar. Bolt neck, Kluson copy tuners, no Bigsby. And look how far into the body the neck extends.

Anyway I actually pulled up this thread to post this. PRS are now doing a USA-made budget line. Starting at $1200 (MSRP). Seriously considering a seafoam green Starla, depending on how nice of a green it is. White or tobacco burst would also be classy.

http://www.prsguitars.com/s2series/
Sobriquet

Post by Sobriquet »

Mo Rawka wrote:But I think that guitars like this are awesome. They play quite well and look quite nice.

If you can afford one, definitely go for it!
:|