Duo Sonic Project - Picture heavy post

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

xxhoixx

Duo Sonic Project - Picture heavy post

Post by xxhoixx »

Cooterfinger was kind enough to make a Duo Sonic body and two pickguards to my specs a few months ago. Being in the DC area this year has sucked weather-wise because it has been very rainy, so I missed the window of low humidity and will have to wait until the fall to paint the guitar. At any rate, I picked Ice Blue Metallic from reranch and a tinted clear coat in hopes of getting closer to green than blue. Also, the neck is one of the new Squier Jaguar ones, which I really like. I've sanded the logo and tint off because I'm going to paint it the same color as the body. Electronics will be Lindy Fralin p90 pickups (received in the mail today) and switchcraft swtiches.

The body has more of a tele contour rather than the more rounded edges found on Duo Sonic, etc... Here are a few photos:
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Man I really like that lower horn on the pickguards. This is something interesting, please update once you get this all together.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

It's actually pretty much the ferrington mustang pickguard. I should be posting photos in a few months when the humidity drops and I can paint outside.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Spray thin coats, you'll be fine.

Are you using a spray cans or a spray gun. I add a cap full of retarder to my mix. It keeps the paint wetter longer, so it gases out and suppose to also give you a flatter (orange peel wise) finish. Even before I started using retarder, only time I ever got blushing was when I was being lazy and trying build up massive amounts of lacquer in a short period of time.
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

Joey,

I bought the spray cans from ReRanch, so I don't think I can use the retarder. With that said, you're saying that I can spray in high humidity as long as I take my time?
Joey

Post by Joey »

If you get blushing, it usually works itself out. It appears instantly, as you are laying down lacquer... so ease off the lacquer if you spot it. The more passes you make the heavier the fog gets. Since you can't add retarder to a spray can, you can buy a Preval and put some lacquer thinner in it. If you do run into blushing, lightly spray some lacquer thinner on the body and it will dissolve the lacquer so it can gas out again.

$8 StewMac.com Preval

I live in Atlanta, temps in the 90's, high humidity and the same 5 o'clock thunderstorm pops up every late afternoon. I watch the weather channel and check the humidity level. I spray inside a garage with the door shut, gas (not dust) respirator, when the lacquer flashes over and dust won't stick, I kick on a fan and open the garage door. If you got a garage, run a dehumidifer or a space heater to help get the moisture level down.

Check out ReRanch.com discussion forum also
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage. I wish. This would be a lot easier. I'll just have to wait for good weather (raining again today).