Dual Output, Three Humbucker, Black, Jaguar Project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I really think my routes came out good lol. And I did use a template for the trem. I traced my green jaguars trem and then made a paper template and then cut it out and placed it. And for the swimming pool rout I just had to make a straight line on each side. Really not hard. I think it came out great. I tape everything up with painters tape before I route so I don't scratch the body and can just see the template. My router has a protective plastic window and I wear safety glasses by the way.

My router..

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

It really works great. I have a fine long bit for it and a larger short bit. It was absolutely worth the $60.00 I spent on it brand new at Home Depot. Never had one problem with it.
cur

Post by cur »

I don't think we are using the same terminology. You used what I would call a pattern and then free hand routed the pocket. I would recommend using a solid, physical template and a router bit with a bearing to follow the template. If you want, I can show you what I mean. Also, that little piece of plastic is good at protecting your eyes and face from tiny bits of fly in wood from the router, but a 30,000 rpm bit breaking off is going right through that and maybe in your face that is only inches away from the window. With a template and proper bit you don't really need to see what you are doing. You let the template tell the router where to go. I would hate to see you or anyone else get hurt from your router because of inexperience. That is one tool that when things go bad it can shoot bullets at you.

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah. I hear ya. Thanks man. And I know what you mean. I had a bit break on me already. Just missed my foot. Fucking wood power tools scare the shit out of me. I won't use a saw.. Lol. Had one of though little jig saw blades break on me too. Never used a powered saw after that...
cur

Post by cur »

you need to watch some norm on pbs

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah I guess so.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

An update. Just needs wiring.

My weekend... haha

The pics!

BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Putting a wide range style bucker in the middle like that solves the age old question of which way to orient the pole pieces of a middle humbucker in a three pickup guitar. Cool.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

bits do break. i had one snap about 6 years ago and fly thru my shirt and mm's from my manland gut. it was mainley becuz the bearing had become lodged so i drilled it off and created a weak spot on the shaft. so once it felt some resistence at high speed it snapped and flew off. i was rather lucky cuz it would have been worse than a bullet in many ways.
personally i don't trust ryobi products. my first real router was a ryobi spring loaded dude and the clasp unlocked whilst making a template of my 83 tele. in tern it took a chunk out of the guitar body and the template. i upgraded almost immediately.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Maybe it was a dud? I had this router going on 2 years now? Not one problem. I'm not a heavy user of it though. Just once in a while when I need a guitar done.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

perhaps, like i said it was spring loaded and the vibration kinda loosened it up and it popped up all at once and ruined what i was working on. i invested in a rigid handheld router and got a stanley(70's era) router and turned that into a table router. currently i have a craftsman that i was using for a table router while in wisconsin that isn't too shabby.
they only thing i didn'tlike about the stanley was the fact that it had 1 speed and it always sounded like air brakes squeeling mixed with a plane engine.
besides that its a beast. im prettysure its made of iron from the gods.
cur

Post by cur »

I like Ryobi stuff. It is very good for non pro quality tools. I have had my plunge router creep up when using a template before and mess up a project. I did not set the lock hard enough. I think it is just some sort of asymmetric cam that presses against the plunge guide rail. Also the fixed base routers, like punk is using, should have a way of locking the depth. Mine has two bolts you snug to each other. If you don't do that it can walk the bit up just from vibrations.

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

This looks AMAZING. Two thumbs up.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

We now have 4 pickups 8)

mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Punkacc9 wrote:We now have 4 pickups 8)

Who did that?
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Custom ordered from Rhoney from his last batch of plates ever.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Ryobi is fucking trash. I wouldn't use a Ryobi flash light. My first router was a $60 Ryobi the same thing happened to me, the lock broke so it would self adjust any time it wanted to.

If money is seriously an issue. Buy a Craftsman Router, 2 HP, soft start, variable speed control.... $78 at Sears. I use it and love it. I plan on upgrading to a 3 1/2 HP Milwaukee or Porter Cable some day but for now it'll do.

I picked up a pin router $200 second hand

Never snapped a bit yet. Had one fall out and it just went "ploooop".... scariest experience I had with a router was when I was using a hand held one, I let off the trigger to stop, pulled it out while the bit was still spinning somewhat and it kicked back like a bull, scared the shit outta me.

Table saw used to scare me, since I watched the Johny Cash movie where his brother gets killed by a table saw. But my jointer is the tool that frightens me the most.

P.S. Kick ass guitar, love it by the way, one of my favorite builds.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Thanks Joey! And hell yeah wood tools are scary. I did the same thing with the router. It just caught the power cable. But it didn't go through the rubber. I taped it up with electrical tape. I had a jigsaw blade break on me and just flew past my leg. I haven't used the thing since... Scared the fuck out of me.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Pickups everywhere.
Hell is other people.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Punkacc9 wrote:We now have 4 pickups 8)

Whoa, any chance that someone here can make those? I don't have the trem bar for my Jag so I don't really use it anyway, and I'm interested in doing a behind the bridge pickup.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)