Medicine Guitars?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

George

Medicine Guitars?

Post by George »

does anybody utitilise this concept on guitars?

i guess similar to medicine balls and running with weights on your back or something.

say if you have a pig of a guitar and play that for a while then move to a really nice do you play better? i started doing this on those travel guitars i bought from NickD, going from them to my other guitars made me seem faster and more agile for a bit. pretty cool.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I just thought about medical-design-guitars ^^

Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

So you mean, like, does playing an acoustic with really high action help making playing others easier? I have some giraffe nuts high action guitars that i use to play slide.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I have never tried playing them while running with medicine balls or with weights on my back so i really can't comment.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
George

Post by George »

try it out!
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I will! Fo SHo! Any certain amount of weight you want me to run with? I'm a monster so maybe i'll triple whatever you are currently using. Shall i wear strength shoes also? Any particular song you would like me to play while running with the balls? Perhaps an original tune that i'm quite proud of?

Seriously. I would say that playing and practicing on a guitar with a fat neck and action as high as giraffe pu..nevermind...yeah it would make playing a guitar with low action really easy. I always find that if i write something on acoustic and then grab an electric that it's like night and day difference because of the string size and the action. I have an acoustic with great action and it still plays different than any of my fenders. My les paul is a pig and i hate the way it plays. I feel clumsy on it. It sounds killer but plays terrible. I should just get rid of it.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Would you like to buy my gibson George? ha!
George

Post by George »

nah i have worse guitars to play than that i'm sure haha
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Yeah but it's a gibson les paul and i'm sure it was built using woods that are illegal so it's an instant collectors item! If it get's seized while in your possession then no refunds!

Seriously i thought about selling it but it sounds so good and it was a gift so i couldn't ever do it. I like fender necks i guess. I may have a pic of my gibson..

I have a story about this guitar and i'm bored so. I thought something was weird or wrong with it so my friend told me to bring it to a show. I thought he was going to just fiddle with it and see if something was wrong. He told me to put it on a stand by his amps and in the middle of the set he grabbed it and played 3 or 4 songs with it and killed. He gave it back when we were tearing down and said it's fine it just has a different neck than most of your others. He said it plays well actually in my opinion and sounds unreal. I was like ok so then it's me. I guess i suck. Here is the best part George. My friend Julian is a lefty. I am a righty. It was strung regular. He played a few songs with it upside down but he kept hitting the knobs with his arm and then he played a few songs right handed. I was like holy shit i have a long way to go. I asked him how could they take requests from the crowd with a guitar that was backwards and he said it's not hard just back up all the chords in your head...really? In real time? Unreal. He's a savant or something...I videoed it. He never missed a note. Fearless...
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i get what you are saying.... but in reality, why bother fucking with a guitar that feels like shit, just to make your other gear feel better?
wouldn't it make more sense to nix the crap guitar, or at least get it setup so its not crap? altho, on the flip. i can see how using a guitar with heavey strings and high action could build up your manual dexterity and calluses
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

My thing is that it sounds unbelievable. I can get close to that whole t-rex sound with it and i don't have another guitar that sounds like it does. I just fumble around with it and get frustrated because it feels weird. If i had to sell one then this would be the first to go. I have offers and people who said to call them the minute i decide to sell it. I hate selling anything because then i'll want it. My little girl may like it when she gets older and i could give it to her. It's a dilemma. I really do agree with you though. I'll show you where it is now.

Nothing worse than being on the wall. I play the v on the wall a lot but it doesn't fit in stands good but the les paul is like retired or something. Here is what i was thinking. If it were my first then i'd be fine with it because i would have to make do. Now i'm sorta spoiled because if i grab it and it feels weird then i just grab a different one and i have so many to choose from. If i did it backwards and sold all the others and had to play the gibson then i'd probably get used to it and make it work. I guess i'm lazy...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It sort of works. I suppose.

I play my Squier '51 with its big heavy neck with .013s on it and the action set really high.

Whenever I then play my Jag-stang with .011s I'm able to fly all about the place. It sort of doesn't work though, because it just means that most guitars feel slinky or just too floppy for me.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Each of my guitars has a different neck profile and different gauge of strings but because I go between them all so often I don't really notice the difference. It's only when I haven't played one of them for a week or two that I notice how different it feels.

I do however use my guitars that have lighter strings for rehearsals (still 11s mind) to rest my hands if I've been playing on 13s all day.

I don't particularly like the idea of a medicine ball guitar because you're just more likely to injure yourself if you're not careful.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Gabriel wrote:Each of my guitars has a different neck profile and different gauge of strings but because I go between them all so often I don't really notice the difference. It's only when I haven't played one of them for a week or two that I notice how different it feels.

I do however use my guitars that have lighter strings for rehearsals (still 11s mind) to rest my hands if I've been playing on 13s all day.

I don't particularly like the idea of a medicine ball guitar because you're just more likely to injure yourself if you're not careful.
HA!
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Shucks, I was actually looking forward to a Brad Laner Thread. :?
NickD

Post by NickD »

I play with heavy strings and a middling action so they felt fairly normal to me, but I know what you mean. Try some different tunings on the travel guitars, it changes the feel of them, especially on the red one because it is so small.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

It may be the same theory as make your recordings sound fantastic on the cheapest crappiest monitors they have and they will sound great on good ones.
jaymin

medicine guitar

Post by jaymin »

guitar sound is soft and cool.It's only when I haven't played one of them for a week or two that I notice how different it feels.you travel for guitar you left problem of weight loss medicine ball.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I often flip between between Lorez' Baritone with Bass VI strings back to my Les paul with 10's and then to my other les paul with 9-52s. The trick is to play one until it feel natural and then swap down. It's like weight lifting drop-sets!
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.