Basic set up and structure for youtube demos - NO U

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Basic set up and structure for youtube demos - NO U

Post by Dave »

Dear Shortscale, I'd really like to get the ShortscalegearDemos channel on Youtube moving. It was a very strong presence a few years back with excellent contributions by many. Now that folks have moved on due to busy lives etc it would be good to see others step up, myself included.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money but thought I'd get some pointers on how to set things up for a half-decent result.

I've got video on iPhone 4s. I've got an SM58 copy vocal mike. I've got a PC.

I'm thinking of using the phone to record audio-visual of the whole thing but also mike up the cab with the sm58 into the PC and then cut to that Audio for the actual gear sounds.

Is there anything I need to bear in mind?

Do I have to save the files in any particular format to synch over the Iphone video?

Will the SM58 suffice?

What do you want to see in a gear demo?

Any do's and don'ts?

LASTLY: IF YOU DO DEMOS AND UPLOAD TO YOUR OWN CHANNEL REGUARLY I HUMBLY ASK IF EVERY NOW AND THEN YOU COULD EARMARK ONE VIDEO (DEMOS, REVIEWS, DIARY STUFF, ANYTHING) FOR UPLOAD TO THE SS YT ACCOUNT. THE UPLOAD DETAILS CAN BE REQUESTED FROM A MOD/ADMIN FOR THIS PURPOSE.

Thanks for listening x
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Good form.
Now is a good time and with the big influx of new Squier stuff i expected more activity to be honest.

None of my demo's were particularly great but for what its worth, I used my laptop with a webcam and the free programme 'debut video capture software'. No external mic.
I then edited on windows movie maker.
Sound quality varied but you soon find the right volumes and best distance to position the laptop from the amp.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

i try to get some stuff on my channel monthly but im not sure how relevant it would be here? im currently renovating and moving house so i wont be doing anything for the next couple of months at least but when im sorted i'll gladly contribute some more SS relevant content.

im really looking to upgrade how i record stuff as at the mo im basically just doing it straight from the iphone and although i dont actually think the iphone audio is too bad id definately like to mic the cab and then sync the audio. tbh these are all just terms ive heard people use. i genuinely have no idea how to do all this.

ive watched a lot of videos where people use garageband to do the recording and then sync the video up using hand claps and whatever but as for video editing thats a whole new world i dont understand.

mic wise id say your fine with the 58 copy for basic guitar recording. people will get all snobby but by the time youtubes compressed the shit out of it i cant see the difference being overly apparent.

either ways what im trying to say is nice thread, ill try and contribute but also look forward to picking up some tips on here on how to improve my vids
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I just recently demoed all my Made by Mike Pedals and would be happy to share with the SS Channel.

I thought about demoing all my guitars again this summer but I am waiting for a Jazzmaster I am trading for and for my Squier Super-sonic to get fixed.

I have a Fender Coronado II, in addition to a Mustang, Bronco, and Jaguar I could also demo. I might script out the Jazzmaster and Jaguar vids to really explain in depth all the switching.

As far as setup goes, I have a Marshall JTM 30 that has a dedicated XLR output that I send to a Digidesign MBox2 (old one). I record the audio in Garageband.

I use the cam on my Macbook Pro or a Flip Video Camera for video. I bring the audio and video together in iMovie.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Chaps thanks for the replies. I think I'll work with what I've got then for the moment and see if I can't upgrade bits over time.

Thanks also for the offers of contributions - let me know when you've got any vids ready for upload and then PM me for the logon XX

Also it's worth saying that a big part of the SS demos thing is 'diary' type affairs too, so as long as it has some relevance to SS then go for it.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Dave, I think you've got the goods. With a 58 and an iPhone 4S, you're already on top of most half-assed gear demos.

As Ben said, for sync the best way is just to do a poor-man's clapboard with your arms; it makes for a very easy way to sync the audio and the video. Do you know which software you plan on using? I've not used Windows Movie Maker much, so I'm not sure what the workflow is for working with separate audio and video.

I do miss the SS demos, as that is what drew me here in the first place. Watching the early Hurb/Mike/Roe demos really made me feel a great sense of community and realize what was missing from the stuffy FDP. It'd be great to see a return to concise, informative demos of things being used and abused shortscale-style.

I think a really helpful idea would be to create templates for iMovie / Windows Movie Maker / Whatever that include a simple text intro naming the product, the SS user, and shortscale.org and a short blank screen at the end with a simple "shortscale.org". Not only would they be extremely helpful for those a bit intimidated by video editing, but it would create a consistent look for all new videos added. I'm not suggesting some rigid, boring-ass format to follow for the main content or anything -- just a consistent intro/outro in which to plop a sweet nugget of shortscale irreverent goodness.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

avj wrote:I think a really helpful idea would be to create templates for iMovie / Windows Movie Maker / Whatever that include a simple text intro naming the product, the SS user, and shortscale.org and a short blank screen at the end with a simple "shortscale.org". Not only would they be extremely helpful for those a bit intimidated by video editing, but it would create a consistent look for all new videos added. I'm not suggesting some rigid, boring-ass format to follow for the main content or anything -- just a consistent intro/outro in which to plop a sweet nugget of shortscale irreverent goodness.
great idea
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Benmurray85 wrote:
avj wrote:I think a really helpful idea would be to create templates for iMovie / Windows Movie Maker / Whatever that include a simple text intro naming the product, the SS user, and shortscale.org and a short blank screen at the end with a simple "shortscale.org". Not only would they be extremely helpful for those a bit intimidated by video editing, but it would create a consistent look for all new videos added. I'm not suggesting some rigid, boring-ass format to follow for the main content or anything -- just a consistent intro/outro in which to plop a sweet nugget of shortscale irreverent goodness.
great idea
Yeah definitely that sounds like a boss idea. i think that would help folks knock out some videos nice and quickly.

The windows movie maker on 7 seems to be less useful and more restricted that older versions which worked lovely. unbless I'm missing something. Anyone know if that impression is correct?