Guitar/guitarist Holidays

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Peter Bond

Guitar/guitarist Holidays

Post by Peter Bond »

Does anyone know of any companies or projects that offer travelling musicians a chance to jam/learn/perform with musicians or bands?

Me and my girlfriend are trying to save for a big trip to the good ol' U.S of A and I had the crazy idea that somewhere I would be able to have a day/night or two where I could play with and learn from some American guitarists, ideally country or blues and slide guys. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this and to be perfectly honest, when it comes to organisation, the old piss-up/brewery comment fits me perfectly. If anyone knows of anything or anywhere I could go all info would be appreciated. I'm not limited to those styles or even just America, anywhere in the world and any style would be great.

Cheers
Peter Bond

Post by Peter Bond »

Also, I have googled this but I just ended up sifting through loads of companies that offer solely guitar based holidays which doesn't really fit in with what I'm thinking of.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

In the UK we have IGF which is really great, I went 3 times when I was younger and it definitely kick starts your playing.

Then there is guitar getaways which are all around the world.

Most Conservatoires and music schools offer short summer programs so maybe find one of those wherever you're planning to visit.

They're all pretty formal though and it's lecture based tuition, where a tutor will be at the front and deliver a class - the same way you would be taught in a conservatoire class. If you're looking for some pretty informal jamming, try to scope out popular jam nights. When I was in Paris there was an amazing jam night at this little jazz club in the latin quarter - it was mainly a lot of blues wailing but it was fun.

Another option, which would probably be the most beneficial is to look up which are the best rated guitarists in the area you are planning to visit and see if you can book a lesson or two with them. That is still going to be an expensive option with lessons with pros costing around $100 an hour but you will probably learn the most this way. Combine this with some jam nights and you'd learn an awful lot and have a great time.
George

Post by George »

that sounds like a really awesome idea! my girlfriend would hate it though, you're very lucky!
Peter Bond

Post by Peter Bond »

We could play Rockin' All Over The World (Quo version) non stop.