Orange Bass Head help.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

James J

Orange Bass Head help.

Post by James J »

Our bass player has a Orange Bass Terror(I Think) and it blew a fuse the other night at practice. He went and bought new fuses, that are supposed to be the same value, tried 2 different ones, and they blow instantly at power up. Does anybody have a rough idea of what may be happening? I feel bad for him because he's had the head over the warranty mark, and just went and bought a new cab, sans amp, etc to gig with. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Most likely a blown power tube or power transistor, depending on if the amp has a tube or transistor power section.

Fuses are for protection, they blow to keep things from catching on fire, exploding, etc... They are never the problem.
James J

Post by James J »

Right. With these amps they don't have power tubes, but there is 2 12ax7's in there. I haven't opened it up yet for inspection. I normally work on Mesa's and Fender's, never have touched an Orange before. I did read that there was a bad batch of them in the year his was manufactured. He doesn't have alot of playing time on it, but of course it's out of the warranty period.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I'd contact Orange. Even if it's outside the warranty period, if it's a known issue they should be able to advise on how to fix it.
James J

Post by James J »

I emailed Orange, just waiting on a response now.... hopefully they will take care of it. He just joined the band too. :-/
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

James J wrote:I emailed Orange, just waiting on a response now.... hopefully they will take care of it. He just joined the band too. :-/
Let me know if they help. I like to know first hand info on things like this because it helps me decide if i'll buy their product..Thanks
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
NickS

Post by NickS »

Class D power stage. Probably a blown (short) transistor.
James J

Post by James J »

After doing some research, I have found out that there was a bad batch of these in the year his was produced where the FET was going bad and causing main fuses to blow. Orange replied with a repair form.... So we are still in a wait and see pattern..
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

James J wrote:wait
You'll be waiting a while based on my experiences with Orange's US Customer Service.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
James J

Post by James J »

I'm hoping not. We practiced last night at low volume and ran him direct through the PA. Sucked because the feel was so much different.
James J

Post by James J »

Surprisingly quick response on the next email. They are sending a box and want to take a look at the head. They said it could be part of the line that was faulty, they aren't sure since the serial number doesn't match any they have previously seen this happen to. They didn't give a time frame on how long it will take for them to fix it though. :-/
James J

Post by James J »

Update! Orange had us ship the head back to them in Atlanta, they paid for shipping, fixed whatever was wrong with it, FREE OF CHARGE! Out of warranty no less. Only took them about a week and a half.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

If the problem arose from a bad production batch then it should be free of charge (doesn't mean it always is, of course) but that's good news.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

great!
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

James J wrote:Update! Orange had us ship the head back to them in Atlanta, they paid for shipping, fixed whatever was wrong with it, FREE OF CHARGE! Out of warranty no less. Only took them about a week and a half.
Wow, good experience! It took them close to two months to get back to me.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
James J

Post by James J »

Now bad news..... UPS delivered it today, and the box was destroyed looking. Aaron opened it up, and the entire front are where the knobs are was caved in. We contacted Orange immediately and they issued a return label and we shipped it back. They are going to send a brand new one out to us pronto. WTF!?!?!