New US made Fender Mustang from the American Facepalm series

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

The mustang reminds me of my old mustang.

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Boring as fuck. They shouldn't call them Mustangs, they should just have them as something new (lol) for kids who can't use the original set up. I know it's a good way to make money, but the recent Jags, Jazzies and Mustangs just pander to lazy kids/their parents.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

BobArsecake wrote:they should just have them as something new (lol) for kids who can't use the original set up.
To be fair, they did give that sort of thing a go from the late '90s through to about 2010.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
BobArsecake

Post by BobArsecake »

paul_ wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:they should just have them as something new (lol) for kids who can't use the original set up.
To be fair, they did give that sort of thing a go from the late '90s through to about 2010.
I did say recent.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Aye, its a Cyclone Mustang thingy.

Need a facepalm emoticon on here.

But seriously, Fender cant win. They put the affordable new design Marauder out and it ends up in the GAK bargain bin whilst the re-designs keep selling. Maybe we will never see something truly new from Fender.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

as long as music store keep filling up with strats and teles and 1 store in 200 miles gets a new design in, then the new designs will never sell. i have never seen a marauder in a music shop. i have been to..... 5 since i got out and they were released. a couple big stores, and some mom and pop places. all fender dealers, all filled with strats and teles.
the closest thing i have seen to a new designed fender was the jaguarillo, which.... well, you know, and it was 18 feet up with no one around to get it down, that, and they NEVER have a fucking trem arm on hand.
BobArsecake

Post by BobArsecake »

robert(original) wrote:as long as music store keep filling up with strats and teles and 1 store in 200 miles gets a new design in, then the new designs will never sell. i have never seen a marauder in a music shop. i have been to..... 5 since i got out and they were released. a couple big stores, and some mom and pop places. all fender dealers, all filled with strats and teles.
the closest thing i have seen to a new designed fender was the jaguarillo, which.... well, you know, and it was 18 feet up with no one around to get it down, that, and they NEVER have a fucking trem arm on hand.
That's because you're not using the industry term for it; reverb handle, Rob, you noob.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

its funny you bring that up. it must have been.... 6-8 years ago. the avris were still around. i saw one at the G.C. in Indy and asked to jam on it, they got it down and i asked for the arm for the "vibrato unit" the guy looked at me like i just raped his mother, and then like he didn't understand that i raped his mother. basically it boiled down to me pointing out that calling it a "trem" was incorrect, and it was actually a vibrato and if he did some research he would find that alot of the old fender adds had "fender floating vibrato, or dynamic floating vibrato unit" blah blah blah blah.
-did he have the reverb handle? no.....
so i gave his mother a call
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

anyone know when they will be aviable?
Phil O'Keefe

Re: New US made Fender Mustang from the American Facepalm se

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

astro wrote:Really Fender? A new American made Mustang for the Les Paul fanatic? Why can't you just make what we want instead of what you think Gibson fans want? Hopefully this is a hoax.]

LANK
I actually think it doesn't look half-bad. It's not exactly what I'd personally want in a new USA made Mustang, but if that's for real, I think it's encouraging. Think of what they did with the various versions of the Jag and Jazzmaster before they finally started making ones with the proper features... they had Jags with hardtail bridges and P90s, and all kinds of other oddballs that didn't look all that different than this mutt Mustang - can a US made Mustang with the right pickups, bridge and vibrato be all that far off?

Heck, Fender is even reissuing the Coronado and Starcaster now... the Mustang is bound to get some love from Fender US eventually.

I keep holding out for a Electric XII reissue. That, and the mid to late 60s era Duo Sonic. :)
HenryS

Post by HenryS »

They call them American Specials because you have to be "special" to buy one. What a waste of good wood.

Tacky guitars made for simpletons.
2001 Epiphone Slasher
2003 Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore w/ GFS Mean 90's
2011 Squier VM Jaguar HH (sold)
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
thickarms

Post by thickarms »

I don't really get the whole angst with this. If you don't like it and don't want one just don't buy one? Fender and Squier have been releasing and reissuing sought after models for decent prices recently. This is a different market and believe it or not, people have different tastes in guitars.

I initially started out as a Fender player, as a teenager I bought a Mustang because I loved how it looked but I didn't get along with and don't think I ever will, I don't think I'll ever really seek out a guitar with single coils and tremolo again but I still love the Mustang shape. So as someone mentioned, it's a Mustang for Les Paul lovers - great!! I really want one of these.

Fender/Squier have been doing loads of cool stuff lately, not all of it is to everyone's taste.
lorez

Post by lorez »

HenryS wrote:They call them American Specials because you have to be "special" to buy one. What a waste of good wood.

Call me a window licker but I have an american special strat & it has to be one of the best guitars I've ever owned
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

The Specials are brilliant guitars... the Tele is one of the best guitars I've ever tried for 'me'.

Silly, unfounded comment.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

These guitars will perform well for those that don't get on with the traditional aspects of a Jazzmaster / Mustang.

Some people out there really love these guitars but don't have time for messing with the switching / and faffing with the bridge. It's a no brainer for a large majority of people, often the regular gigging type.
HenryS

It's sensitivity time now I suppose

Post by HenryS »

oooooooooooooooooooooh.... touchy... :roll:
I wasn't referring to the american special strats/teles(seems like common sense, considering we're in a thread about the american special offsets)

Why buy a castrated Jazzmaster/Mustang? If you don't want the switches and offbeat setup then what business do you have looking at an offset in the first place?

That's like buying a sports car and using it for monster trucking.
2001 Epiphone Slasher
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
HenryS

Post by HenryS »

othomas2 wrote:These guitars will perform well for those that don't get on with the traditional aspects of a Jazzmaster / Mustang.

Some people out there really love these guitars but don't have time for messing with the switching / and faffing with the bridge. It's a no brainer for a large majority of people, often the regular gigging type.
Then get a Les Paul or Tele, have it last 30-40 years on the road and be happy. Why should beneficial features that have practical use be taken off for the casual market?
The sad thing is, the Jazz/Jag/Mustang aren't even that complicated and once you've got them figured out it takes no more maintenance that a Strat/Tele/LP to keep them set up and ready for anything you can throw at them.

Even sadder is these will sell like hotcakes because people are too impatient to educate themselves on how to operate the originals.
2001 Epiphone Slasher
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
HenryS

Post by HenryS »

lorez wrote:
HenryS wrote:They call them American Specials because you have to be "special" to buy one. What a waste of good wood.

Call me a window licker but I have an american special strat & it has to be one of the best guitars I've ever owned
...we're in a thread about american special offsets. Obviously I'm not referring to the american special teles or strats.
You have a strat and you like it? ((thumup) Good on ya!
We're discussing offsets here bud.
2001 Epiphone Slasher
1975 Alverez Acoustic
2012 Squier VM Mustang
1978 Fender Musicmaster
2012 Epiphone Firebird
thickarms

Re: It's sensitivity time now I suppose

Post by thickarms »

HenryS wrote: Why buy a castrated Jazzmaster/Mustang? If you don't want the switches and offbeat setup then what business do you have looking at an offset in the first place?.
because you like the offset shape but prefer the functionality of having a hardtail and fewer switches?
thickarms

Post by thickarms »

not really a hard concept to get your head around. If we should only use traditional/original models does that mean Les Paul Jrs are also worthless?