65/66 Mustang tidy-up

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

MattK

65/66 Mustang tidy-up

Post by MattK »

I bought a Mustang partscaster from the Offset classifieds at a price I could live with. Arrived intact with a brown stain and brushed on varnish. Bought a pearloid guard from another Offsetter and checked out the overall effect:
It looked OK but the finish was lumpy and the whole body felt uneven, so it had to go. The varnish came off fairly easily, chemical stripper on one side and a light touch with the heat gun on the other side, but the stain had penetrated the wood. The wood itself had been pretty unevenly sanded and felt wavy, so I tackled it gently to see if I could get it flat without taking too much off. Fortunately it came good pretty quickly.
The yellow primer and a bit of white in the neck pocket and cavities were the only remnants of the original finish.
Next step, sanding sealer and some very careful attention, followed by red lacquer to go with the pearloid. The 65 neck is in good shape apart from a loose fret and the holes from a Hagstrom style string retainer, which I've removed. Now waiting for tuners.
jbuonacc

Re: 65/66 Mustang tidy-up

Post by jbuonacc »

MatthewK wrote:Image
this looks absolutely awesome as it is... but, of course, the world needs another red Mustang.
i'm a negative creep.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I don't share your enthusiasm for walnut stain and sanding dings! And I have plenty of crappily finished guitars, I want this one to be nice.
I'll see how it looks with sanding sealer, how about that?
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Great stuff! Can't wait to see it done up!
MattK

Post by MattK »

Damn, broken pickup means I need TWO now. I have some no-name alnico Strat pickups but would like something original.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Broken how? Get them rewound.
MattK

Post by MattK »

There are not a lot of options for that at this end of the world - once you add two way postage and the cost of winding it gets up toward the cost of a pickup. Plus only one came with it, so I need to buy one anyway, and a deal for two is likely to be better than a deal for one. But if a rewinding option comes up I agree it would be a good idea.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Ah fairdy dos. I thought you had a pair of broken ones and I didn't note you location. Catswhisker Pickups here was doing rewinds for £20 (not sure if he still does) - that's a very good deal. Do you get much Japanese stuff in Australia? Because the singles in my Matsumoku Hondo Lead II copy are some of the best I've heard.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I've got some alnico 5 no-name Strat pickups for now, and a MIJ Jag neck pickup I could adapt, so plenty to work with until I find a set of old ones. Or if they keep me happy I can just live with that!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

That grain looked amazing with the brown finish. Are you finishing this in see-through red?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Personally I'd do it up in Oly white like it originally was, there's too many red stangs and not enough white-with-pearl IMO.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
MattK

Post by MattK »

Interesting thoughts those. Was white-with-pearl ever a thing?
Problem is that I have two daughters into the idea of red, you know how influential chicks are when it comes to guitars.
I was pretty startled how good the grain looked too - thought it may have been a mahogany body actually - but no, it's poplar, with a mahogany stain. It would be very difficult to stain evenly now that I have sanded the ripples out of the body.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I don't recall olywhite+pearl ever being a stock setup but I could be wrong. I think it would look amazing, though.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Paint it what you want, and do a nice job. The world may be full of red Mustangs, but it is also full of guitars that people have screwed up. First, do no harm.
Yell Like Hell
MattK

Post by MattK »

Well - it would have to wait, I will be away for three weeks! I've ordered a couple of vintage repros from Rose pickups, they did me a beautiful Jazzmaster set a while back, and they are very inexpensive.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

Streak it with red and yellow dye, maybe some green. Finish it smooth gloss or satin
MattK

Post by MattK »

IRIE!
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Oh, by all means paint it red or whatever color your lil girl wants it to be. I was only saying what I'd do personally, I think no matter what you end up coloring it, it's in better hands and shape now than it was before.

Keep us updated!