BASIC home recording/youtubing setup

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Benmurray85

BASIC home recording/youtubing setup

Post by Benmurray85 »

This is broad as fuck and PLEASE treat me like the idiot I will come across as. I really have very little idea where this is concerned.

I'm looking for a nice EASY TO OPERATE solution to having a home recording setup. The idea is to produce a few songs and also get some proper quality YouTube demo videos.

All I have right now is a laptop, a few decent mics and some leads! I know I need an interface and a daw? For which I've been looking at this

http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... arlett-2i2

There's one on eBay at 120 with free software and FREE HEADPHONES! :lol:

So first question would this be ok? It seems decent enough and I love the colour 8) as I understand it I'd get enough with this package to record two inputs into the software that they supply. I reckon this would be a nice easy starting point for me?

VIDEO-wise I was going to use my IPhone but then what software can I use to edit the videos and match up the audio? I'm mega limited on budget (obviously) after the interface I'd not have a great deal left to spend (50-100) also gonna gab some monitors as well so any good recommendations?

I'm guessing people are gonna tell me I need a mac or basically something other than my laptop but I don't use it for ANYTHING else at all so I can't warrant buying something else.

Sorry for mega blog

Ben
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I've got one of the Focusrite Scarlet interfaces (the 8i6) and it's a nice bit of kit. Came with a cut down version of Ableton but I've ended up using Reaper.

I had some success putting together a couple of videos using some free software that came with Windows (Windows Movie Maker? - not sure, on my phone atm). Just combined a video clip using the built in web cam on my laptop with songs I'd recorded with Reaper. Was pretty easy to do.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

BTW, GAK are doing the 2i2 for £119 inc free headphones at the moment if you'd rather avoid eBay.

Lank
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

Cheers pal. All great advice especially the GAK link. Quicker deliver your ill lose my eBay nectar points! Modern day problems eh?

Thanks. Any more advice is greatly received from anyone
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

Should I be looking at active monitors or passive??????

Too many questions
How Terribly Rock N Roll
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I think you'd want active monitors for the 2i2 unless you're going to run them via a hi-fi amp or something.
jbuonacc

Post by jbuonacc »

^^ what he said. passive monitors require a separate amp to drive them, while active monitors have amps built into them. i'd recommend active, for sure.

that said, if your stereo has a Line In you could go that route as well for the time being (depending on your budget, and your stereo). if you even have a stereo.
i'm a negative creep.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I suggest buying used if possible. You will save some cash.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones have been really good to me

Just about any interface will do nowadays. At least two inputs would be handy.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 has been an OK video editing solution

I love REAPER for audio software
Johno

Post by Johno »

My vote is for a Line 6 ux2, comes bundled with pod farm & ableton lite versions. All you need to get started.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

UPDATE

i got the focusrite interface. havent even had it out of the box yet (renovating and moving house so it could be a while) im searching ebay for some active monitors. i know its probably fools logic but im just gonna grab something cheapish for now and upgrade as and when i have cash to do so.

so at present (when my house is sorted) i have mics, interface, daw (gonna use the focusrite one initially see how i get on then look into reaper as suggested) ive been thinking about virtual drums. any one got any recommendations?
ive seen EZDrummer and people seem to have reasonable success with this? is this any good? music wise im only really doing it for my own satisfaction, certainly not for commercial or public use. would ezdrummer work with the focusrite daw? i understand it needs to support VST? as i undertand it thats virtual instruments. so ezd spits out midi data which is used by the daw as a drum sound? correct or way off?

sorry for mega posts. thanks
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

for small monitors, check out the Equator D5's - lots of people seem to dig them. i used krk rockit 5's for years.

ez drummer is pretty simple. get the metal machine ezx.