Awesome Amp Find: Guild 98rt

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Awesome Amp Find: Guild 98rt

Post by Awstin »

I went to an estate sale today of a 90 year old guy that just passed away. Browsing around, I found this amp tucked away in the corner. They didn't even know they had it. I asked what they wanted for it. He said $20 So I gave the money to him as quick as he said it lol. It was pretty fucking dirty. Took a while to clean it, an old toothbrush came in handy. It cleaned up great. While cleaning I found that reverb/tremolo pedal in it and I couldn't belive it. The whole pedal is made out of wood. It's so awesome. I have never seen one like it. I plugged the amp in and it lit up and the tubes seemed to be working. It plays pretty nice for the most part. The reverb tank is working and the reverb pedal switch works. The tremolo I couldn't get to work. The knobs are all due to be replaced/rewired/ or seriously cleaned. But everything seems to be working except the tremolo switch and the reverb knob doesn't run that smooth. I am really liking this thing. the speaker is a Jensen Special Design. Here is what I found about it online.

"The Guild 98RT amp is a dead ringer for the first version of the Ampeg Reverberocket and perhaps this amp was designed and or built by Ampeg whose Linden facility was just down the road from Guild’s amplifier plant in Elizabeth. As expected, the Guild sounds very much like a Reverberocket, which is to say, quite good. Although not an exceptionally powerful amp, the 98RT has a wonderfully warm, clean tone and the reverb is superior to that of Fender amps." http://www.ggjaguar.com/98rt.htm

I am guessing this thing is worth around $600 or more. Do you guys think I should keep it and have it fixed or sell it and bank on it? The reverb sounds incredible on it. Much better than the Fender twin reverb I use to own. Here's the pictures!

BEFORE
image by punkacc9, on Flickr

AFTER
Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Last edited by Awstin on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

That's pretty amazing. Can't believe it cleaned up so well? From the first pic it looks like it would have been damp or something, but must just have be nice dry muck on it I guess.... very nice find
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

foot pedal looks like the old service buzzers you used to get in fancy houses
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah, it did clean up good. It was just layered heavy with dust. The grill wasn't bad at all. I'm happy there are no rips in it. None in the tolex either. I can't believe it. I plan to clean the pedal with some wood oil. It's really cool. I never saw that before. Some good info here too. http://www.guildguy.com/fgp7.html
lorez

Post by lorez »

Keep it & sort it out. I'd also consider going back & paying a bit more than $20 if it's worth 30 times that.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Size comparison next to my Cyber Twin SE

Better before and after

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

lorez wrote:Keep it & sort it out. I'd also consider going back & paying a bit more than $20 if it's worth 30 times that.
This.
Peter Bond

Post by Peter Bond »

BacchusPaul wrote:
lorez wrote:Keep it & sort it out. I'd also consider going back & paying a bit more than $20 if it's worth 30 times that.
This.
Yeah, I'd feel bad not at least going and offering something. How did you get it so clean?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Such a cool story. It looks fantastic. If you like the sound, then get the broken stuff fixed and rock it out.

All you need is a Guild Foxey Lady to complete the ensemble. :)
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I actually just used Lysol, a toothbrush, paper towels, and some good ol elbow grease. Lol
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Keep it. Recap it, use deoxit on pots and tube sockets. May want to look into swapping the power cord for a 3-prong version.
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

great find. do an demo? please?
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Sloan wrote:Keep it. Recap it, use deoxit on pots and tube sockets. May want to look into swapping the power cord for a 3-prong version.
Do that, and then
Do that.

No amp is worth using up all of your good karma over.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Trust me, they made a hell of a lot off that sale. The entire house was filled. I bought other things too.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Punkacc9 wrote:Trust me, they made a hell of a lot off that sale. The entire house was filled. I bought other things too.
I am assuming you bought it on the spot without plugging it in. Neither you nor the people selling it knew if it worked or what repairs were needed.

It could have been a total dud or money pit. The estate just wants to move everything as quickly as possible. You took a small risk and they got $20 more than they originally planned. Plus it's not a Fender Twin or something with well known brand. It's a more obscure amp that neither you or the estate knew much about.

I can't even find a monetary value for the amp anywhere.

Edit: I did find an old print ad for the amp on eBay. (Click on the image and zoom down to the bottom right hand corner)

Guild 98 RT print Ad

It says the original price was $240 in 1963.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

There are some things that need to be fixed on it. Probably over $100 worth of work at least. They probably would of gave it away or something if they didn't get rid of it. Plus I cleaned it until I got it looking new. I'm not gonna go back and give them more money and then have to pay for repairs. If I did all of that and went to sell it I would probably lose money. I'm guessing it is worth around $500-$600 but I doubt I would get anything over $300 for it. Isn't this the point of a deal? I found a hidden gem. Look at what they find on American Pickers for dirt cheap and then sell it later on five times that price. It's kind of the same thing as bidding on something on eBay. Say you win the bid for a really killer low price because the guy labeled it wrong or just didn't know anything about it, are you going to Paypal him extra money for it later? I highly doubt it.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Don't get stuck on the amount paid, etc. we all want to hear it in its full glory. Instant karma if you do it
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Working on it. It's at my guitar shop. The guy that does that stuff is there tomorrow. So I should know what's up by then.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Punkacc9 wrote:Working on it. It's at my guitar shop. The guy that does that stuff is there tomorrow. So I should know what's up by then.
Sweet, you know we all just want to hear what it sounds like
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Bleh. Apparently he was in today but he never called me... Let's hope for tomorrow then.