Fender musicmaster bass HELP!!?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

bill11hc

Fender musicmaster bass HELP!!?

Post by bill11hc »

Okay so I have recently purchased a refinished 72 fender musicmaster bass. The pick up is awful and I was thinking about replacing it. I hate the look of rails pickups but in tryin to find a decent drop in pick up... I was thinking about the fender vintage 51 single coil bass pick up and if it would fit as a drop in. Seems perfect considering its a 4 pole single coil bass pick up....
IM AM JOB
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

it will fit but the poles won't be well align under the strings.
did you think to change the pots and cap?
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

it will fit but the poles won't be well align under the strings.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Lace Sensor.
George

Post by George »

i don't know if the vintage P Bass pickup would drop in. as far as I am aware it's a different fit. the musicmaster basses use a standard guitar single coil, strat-sized.

if however it does fit i would look at the Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder version. i had a vintage output one on my classic vibe bass and it was very quiet and poor output. the 1/4 pounder gives you some good thump and girth

in the more likely event that you will have to go down the strat pickup sized route, most people recommend lace sensors. that way you get plenty of tonal options and it keeps the look. i can't stand them myself but maybe they're better on a bass. if you wanted to get some rails i imagine you could fit a mustang cover over the top with a bit of effort
NickD

Post by NickD »

Johnny Noir wrote:it will fit but the poles won't be well align under the strings.
IIRC the original one is just a Musicmaster pickup so the poles don't line up anyway.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

NickD wrote:
Johnny Noir wrote:it will fit but the poles won't be well align under the strings.
IIRC the original one is just a Musicmaster pickup so the poles don't line up anyway.
It is.

If you'd rather avoid a rails pickup, a Lace Sensor red actually works pretty well as a bass pickup. Got one in my Bronco bass.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Lace Sensor Red.

You're welcome.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Lace Sensor Red.

You're welcome.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Have you heard of a Lace Sensor red? I heard good things about it. Surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Also: check out this awesome thread which discusses the best pups for a bronco bass upgrade:

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... ght=bronco
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

mkt3000 wrote:Lace Sensor Red.

You're welcome.
I had one of those in my Competition Mustang in the Bridge position. I heard they work great for Bass.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Duncan rails pup
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Do an robroe cover
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Yes, a Telecaster bass pickup fits in the cavity with no routing, but it's not exactly the same size through the pickguard, although you might be able to squeeze it though without sanding the pickguard.

Mine came with one already installed, I think the owner before me might have taken a bit off the pickguard, not sure. But mine is screwed to the body, not with screws and springs to the pickguard.

In any case, the sound is pretty bright, kind of like a funk sound, so you might want to consider something else like the higher output Dimarzios with rails if you want something bassier. Although I'm not sure what kind mine is.
Last edited by Fakir Mustache on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

has anyone suggested a red lace sensor yet?
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

robert(original) wrote:has anyone suggested a red lace sensor yet?
mkt3000 wrote:Lace Sensor Red.

You're welcome.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
bill11hc

Post by bill11hc »

So I got my lace sensor red ready to slap in the bass. Anyone have a schematic for the musicmaster bass ?? I can't seem to find one
IM AM JOB
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Lace Sensor Red? Whoa, curveball!

This wiring diagram should be the same thing, or at least work fine.
Disregard pickup wire colours obviously... the "black" wire (ground) should be the white and green wires together on the lace I believe, at least according to this: http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/1.pdf

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

You missed a trick by not going for the red lace sensor.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.