Distortion pup

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

bluesngrunge

Distortion pup

Post by bluesngrunge »

I have a crappy squire VM jag HH that is in need of some decent pickups for some nice rawk tonez. I was thinking something like p-90's so I could still have some of that single coil sound with double coil beef. Any suggestions?
I'm also changing the bridge and trying to find out what I can do to get rid of that horrible strat jack, so I need some suggestions on that.
Thanks in advance.
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

I recently tried a GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of one of my HH guitars. Then work got insane, but in the limited time I've actually had to play it, I've been liking it. That combination gives a nice balance of single coil tones and RAWK. They'll also fit a humbucker route, although you may have to modify your pickguard, since I believe the stock pickups on the VM Jag HH are open coil.
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

mixtape wrote:I recently tried a GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of one of my HH guitars. Then work got insane, but in the limited time I've actually had to play it, I've been liking it. That combination gives a nice balance of single coil tones and RAWK. They'll also fit a humbucker route, although you may have to modify your pickguard, since I believe the stock pickups on the VM Jag HH are open coil.
I've actually been looking into the dream/mean 90's. I think I just might get them.
((teabag))
HNB

Post by HNB »

My favorite is a super distortion. I know that is played and cheesy, but I like the jangle they have with 1meg pots.
Doug

P90s...!

Post by Doug »

Hey, Blues, happy Thanksgiving. Gibson's P90s made in the mid-90s for their Les Paul Specials sound very good. Gibson BluesHawk P90s, technically called "Blues 90s", are also great. Surprisingly...and I love these kind of surprises...the P90s on my 1998 Samick JAD 25/MR (the Jazzmaster knock-off that sold for about $220 USD) sound just as good as my Gibsons.

Enjoy the hunt. Then enjoy your P90 tones.

Cheers,
Doug
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

HNB wrote:My favorite is a super distortion. I know that is played and cheesy, but I like the jangle they have with 1meg pots.
Best of ALL WORLDS.
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

Thomas wrote:
HNB wrote:My favorite is a super distortion. I know that is played and cheesy, but I like the jangle they have with 1meg pots.
Best of ALL WORLDS.
((teabag))
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

If I get a cheap ceramic hex pole bucker and run it through 1megs will it sound the same?
((teabag))
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

My favorites are:
Seymour Duncan JB.
Dimarzio Steves Special, Tone Zone, i also like many others of Dimarzio.
Fender Atomic Humbucker sounds almost like a JB.
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

20131201_003848 by Offscale, on Flickr
A sneak preview ;)
((teabag))