DO AN JACK WHITE.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

I get that some effect pedals are pricey and don't have a great range of sound options, but are good at what they do, but a pedal that does one thing at one setting can suck my balls. Couldn't you just buy 4 or 5 cheaper pedals and get a fuck load more for your money?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

h8mtv wrote:Meanwhile @ TGP they are masturbating furiously and speaking of its haunting mids and superb simplicity.
OH GOD NO KNOBS THIS IS PERFECT MOJOTOWENWNFRFEF
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
George

Post by George »

i'll also go on record as saying i think jack white is a great guitarist and i love his sound/records, but i'm not a really a fan of this particular pedal venture
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

brandonwinmill wrote:i sorta agree with the tone in the fingers being bs..the only thing i could say contrary to that is that i have a friend that will take my gear and make it sound like i want to but i can't..that's confusing..let me try again..i was going to get rid of my tele because it sounds like a strat to me and i have 5 strats already and my friend said hand it to me and he started playing and i was like fuck, i want it to sound like that..but wait..that's my shit..wtf..he showed me where to pick and how to do some volume and tone maneuvering and bam..i could make it sound like i thought a tele should sound. So there is a little truth to it but it's not like old dudes say and it's more that tone can be manipulated in the technique
There's a lot of truth in how important the individual's playing is - it's happened to me too: someone picks up my guitar, plays through my amp, and it still sounds like that person...who's playing my stuff! Some of these self-proclaimed 'tone is in the fingers' experts will nod sagely at that, claim 'tone' is this mystical thing that lives in your hands, and ignore the numerous other factors. It's all about a complicated not-fully-understood relationship between player and equipment, but of course they don't want to say that, because they'd have to admit that they don't know everything!

There's the 'tone is all about the technique' camp, and the 'tone is all about expensive boutique gear' camp, and I suspect their entrenched mindsets feed off each other. But neither of them are correct really.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

yeah, fuck those types..i agree totally
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
George

Post by George »

Concretebadger wrote: There's a lot of truth in how important the individual's playing is - it's happened to me too: someone picks up my guitar, plays through my amp, and it still sounds like that person...who's playing my stuff! Some of these self-proclaimed 'tone is in the fingers' experts will nod sagely at that, claim 'tone' is this mystical thing that lives in your hands, and ignore the numerous other factors. It's all about a complicated not-fully-understood relationship between player and equipment, but of course they don't want to say that, because they'd have to admit that they don't know everything!

There's the 'tone is all about the technique' camp, and the 'tone is all about expensive boutique gear' camp, and I suspect their entrenched mindsets feed off each other. But neither of them are correct really.
this is why i dont own telecasters. i dont think they sound right when i pla ythem
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

George wrote: this is why i dont own telecasters. i dont think they sound right when i pla ythem
i totally agree. i only play guitars, which support my sort of playing and wish of sounding... it's more than my fingers, but MUCH more than only my gear. Gear is kind of inspiration for playing my way.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

People who say "tone is in the fingers" are really talking about technique or a series of transferable licks and people who say you need certain equipment to get certain sounds are, well... chasing certain sounds... with equipment. They're not mutually exclusive schools of thought as they aren't really even on the same page, "tone is in your fingers, not your equipment" has just been perpetuated by a bunch of douchebags who think Jeff Beck is the only one who's found that elusive British gain stage on a Vibrolux (when in truth he'd get some spanky verby cleans out of a Vibrolux and be damn well happy to have done so after a full day of Marshalling about).

Personally I think it's the people who can't play very well who sound the same through everything, while people with a better command of general guitar playing can use different guitars and amps for utilitarian purposes (i.e. to get different tones... on purpose!)

It's also pretty funny that the "tone is in the fingers" guys bring up Jeff Beck so much. I guess they haven't seen that guitar collection vid:

"here's a Tele, it's great for that spanky country stuff" *plays some spot on*
"here's a big hollow Gibson, it's great for that Scotty Moore stuff" *plays some spot on*
"here's a Macaferri so I can get my Django on" *does an Django*
"here's a fixed-arm '50s Gretsch Duo Jet, the only guitar that gets the Cliff Gallup sound thereby facilitating a tribute album I did" *plays a couple licks* "...well, I need a much brighter amp for the full effect..."
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

My tone is in my pick
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

brandonwinmill wrote:My tone is in my dick
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Dave wrote:
brandonwinmill wrote:My dick is in YOUR equipment
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

paul_ wrote:
Dave wrote:
brandonwinmill wrote:My dick is in YOUR equipment
HAHAHAHAHA
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

My tone is in my fingers and my finger is in your dick..haha
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

that totally didn't come out right
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

brandonwinmill wrote:that totally didn't come out right
fingers in a dick never quite do come out right.
Doug

Mythology

Post by Doug »

Concretebadger wrote:Oh, really? This? Again?
It really comes from the fingers, of course.
Stop with this. Please. Stop. I'm sick of the 'tone is in your fingers' BS...That mentality is what snobbish old pub bluez dudes repeat ad nauseam when they envy people younger than them using gear manufactured after 1975. Saying that 'tone' or simply sounding good relies completely on 'refining your technique' to the exclusion of all else is blinkered and stupid...
You nail it, Badger. Tone comes from your fingers? Like tone comes from the wood? :roll:

Electric guitar mythology.
Doug
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Real tone comes from your fingers on your wood.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'm not trying to be obnoxious but tone does come from your fingers. I suppose it depends on your own approach but I think the most part of how I sound doesn't depend on gear. I like having nice gear and I'm pretty precious about my pedalboard and where the knobs are set and such but I've played plenty of gigs with a borrowed amp, a random dirt pedal and whichever of my guitars had strings on and wasn't broken. Obviously I'd rather use my own amp and my full pedalboard and use a couple of guitars on stage but I couldn't be fucked.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

BacchusPaul wrote:I'm not trying to be obnoxious but tone does come from your fingers. I suppose it depends on your own approach but I think the most part of how I sound doesn't depend on gear. I like having nice gear and I'm pretty precious about my pedalboard and where the knobs are set and such but I've played plenty of gigs with a borrowed amp, a random dirt pedal and whichever of my guitars had strings on and wasn't broken. Obviously I'd rather use my own amp and my full pedalboard and use a couple of guitars on stage but I couldn't be fucked.
I can make someone else's gear sound close to what I like to sound like, albeit by changing a bunch of knobs on everything. In a way, my tone does come from my fingers, but also from the way I pick/fret/strum/vibrato my notes which is also fingers. Someone else can play my rig and sound terrible, others can sound better. You're not obnoxious, but some people are when they use this phrase, especially on TGP.
blacktiger

Post by blacktiger »

I really don't understand paying $300 for a fuzz pedal. They're usually pretty simple electronically, which makes them relatively cheap and easy to build. A nice box or an association with a famous player isn't worth a 500% mark up IMO.