did fender learn anything from this?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

did fender learn anything from this?

Post by robroe »

this guitar, more than anything in the past couple of years has been a bit of a sore spot for me.

its just so fucking ugly.

it doesn't have to be.

i love the maple neck that it shares with both the J Mascis jazzmaster and the telemaster/jazzcaster special deluxe thing that i love so much.

but that strat jack...what the fuck? when this guitar dropped EVERYONE THOUGHT IT WAS FUCKING UGGO AS FUCK. EVERYONE CRIED GET RID OF THE FUCKING STRAT JACK.

ITS NOT LIKE FENDER HAS TO PROGRAM A ROBOT TO MAKE ANOTHER FUCKING HOLE COSTING THEM MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. THEY JUST PROGRAM THE ROBOT TO NOT MAKE THE HOLE SAVING THEM MONEY. PUT A FUCKING MUSTANG JACK WHERE THE 2ND CONCENTRIC VOLUME KNOB IS AND SAVE MORE MONEY. KEEP THE FIRST CONCENTRIC KNOB FOR VOL1/VOL2 AND FUCK AN TONE KNOB.

listen i can even deal with the stupid bridge with the sharp angle shape look on a beautiful curvy guitar. it makes no sense but what the fuck ever. maybe the old squier musicmaster bridge costs 5 cents more to make or some shit. who knows.

DUDES YOU WOULD SAVE MONEY MAKING THIS FUCKING THING. AND PEOPLE THAT HATE THE FLOAT WOULD BUY IT. FENDER HAS PROVEN TO US IN THE PAST THAT THEY LISTEN TO US RE-ISSUING THINGS LIKE THE SUPER-SONIC AND BASS VI. THIS SEEMS SO MUCH OF A SIMPLER QUICK FIX TO A HIDEOUS MESS OF A FUCK SHIT GUITAR

dots wrote:incesticide
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I like it in that colour scheme, I didn't like the yellow it the sunburst but I'd play that...
XY
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

I don't really get all the strat jack hate. It's not that bad. I'd replace the bridge though.
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Single screw holding the bridge pressure seems a tad under-engineered to me.
George

Post by George »

Pretty much superseded by the new vm jazzmaster. I didnt know you could even buy these anymore. On the whole a pretty bad design but squier have been doing well enough to warrant some slack. Whether they learned from it I'm guessing they won't do it again at least
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

dezb1 wrote:I like it in that colour scheme, I didn't like the yellow it the sunburst but I'd play that...
Same here. I'd hit that. I have pics in books of Leo Fender's lab with prototype Jazzmaster bodies with strat jacks, so there is a historical precedence for this. It's odd though, that it's on a budget guitar, because it cost more in labor, parts and time to manufacture with the strat jack. Much easier to have the jack located on the pickguard where it can just be dropped in.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
mixtape

Re: did fender learn anything from this?

Post by mixtape »

robroe wrote:FENDER HAS PROVEN TO US IN THE PAST THAT THEY LISTEN TO US RE-ISSUING THINGS LIKE THE SUPER-SONIC AND BASS VI.
Except they reissued the Super-Sonic with the WRONG NECK. Yes, I'm still bitter about that.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

LOL Robroe. Maybe Fender is making a New Years Resolution to not fuck up in 2014.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

ykk211 wrote:I don't really get all the strat jack hate. It's not that bad. I'd replace the bridge though.
That's what I said about the bridge, before I had a guitar with it.

Really, I can't see anything wrong with it after having it on there, stays in tune, does a great job for a non-vibrato bridge.

I have the Jag version though.
NickS

Post by NickS »

jculpjr wrote:Single screw holding the bridge pressure seems a tad under-engineered to me.
Looks like there may be another two/posts near the front edge.
bluesngrunge

Post by bluesngrunge »

The stacked pots really sucked ass
SKC Willie wrote:And obviously, I was much more interested in the dildos.
((teabag))
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Re: did fender learn anything from this?

Post by Dave »

mixtape wrote:
robroe wrote:FENDER HAS PROVEN TO US IN THE PAST THAT THEY LISTEN TO US RE-ISSUING THINGS LIKE THE SUPER-SONIC AND BASS VI.
Except they reissued the Super-Sonic with the WRONG NECK. Yes, I'm still bitter about that.
Likewise
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

What's wrong with the new Super-Sonic neck? And pls don't use the word 'radius' because my eyes will glaze over.

The JM thing in the first post is an unholy mishmash of mismatched parts, I agree. The bridge however is fine. It's the same as the 90s Danelectro bridge, which rests on the two forward screws, with a big fat screw at the back which is easily up to the job.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

strat jack > shitty ass pizza tort
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Those bridges are fine. They work on Dano guitars, I imagine they work just as fine on everything else.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

timhulio wrote:What's wrong with the new Super-Sonic neck? And pls don't use the word 'radius' because my eyes will glaze over.
Nut width. The original Super-Sonic neck was perfect. I have skinny little girl hands.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Controversial, but: I think the strat jack is a beautiful, clever design. Maybe not quite right for a JM, but a cracking design. Straight-out-of-the-scratchplate sockets always seem like a liability when not using a right angled jack. Also, I hate it when people replace a pot with an output jack. Bleurgh.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

ekwatts wrote:Those bridges are fine. They work on Dano guitars, I imagine they work just as fine on everything else.
I don't mind that the intonation is a bit off on a real Danelectro bridge, but the (edit: real!!!!!!!) Dano bridge on mine (edit: have to specify on my Danelectro guitar as people are bad at reading posts) caved in in the middle, maybe cheap metal. The VM bridge is still flat, better metal.
Last edited by Fakir Mustache on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oldcanuck

Post by oldcanuck »

Personally.... I don't really mind the jack or the bridge.... but I agree, the bridge could use a couple more screws ! I think it would tuff in some original surf colors.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Jazzy pickups pretty much need a tone control though, especially if they're 1 meg pots. And they do have to be 1 meg pots, because anything less than that would sound muddy in the neck position for most of the time.

The maple neck looks dead nice though. Dunno why JMs hardly ever (never?) have them.