'Oddball' Guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

George wrote:
LizardKing wrote:
dezb1 wrote:Thought I'd go against the grain and post summit new(ish)

[img]
Oddball, yet locking JM trem, TOM, and what looks like cool single coil pickups....
I like it!
i prefer the mosrite version but yeah, the trem and p90s own
I've been considering one for a while, but I don't need another sunburst guitar... my wife always complains more when I buy a burst guitar...
XY
NickS

Post by NickS »

cur wrote:I don't really know. Just came across it and flinched. I love me some odd ball designs, but that is not good.
This is as I saw it when it was first released, in a shop on Oxford Rd. Manchester. I thought it was pretty interesting, actually.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Goya Rangemaster..unfortunately they're not as cheap as they used to be

Ural 650...hear mixed things on these but if you find a playable one they can't be THAT bad

Framus Television...never played a bad Framus.

Ovation Breadwinner-the electric ovations are some of the best guitars I've owned/played. Never had one of these but I'd give one a go.

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

stewart wrote:or this looks suitably gash without being obviously cack. might just need a TOM bridge slung on it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1969- ... 1058291709
HLYSHT.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

How bout a Kawai Moonsault?

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
paul_

Post by paul_ »

westtexasred wrote:Moonsault

Is it called that because it looks like it's fixin' to stab you in the bum?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

paul_ wrote:
westtexasred wrote:Moonsault

Is it called that because it looks like it's fixin' to stab you in the bum?
http://www.fetishguitars.com/portfolio/ ... i-spazial/
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Rock Oval

ImageImage
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

NickS wrote:
cur wrote:I don't really know. Just came across it and flinched. I love me some odd ball designs, but that is not good.
This is as I saw it when it was first released, in a shop on Oxford Rd. Manchester. I thought it was pretty interesting, actually.
I don't like this, but I do like the way they've went the whole hog and matched the shape of the pickups to the overall shape. You nearly expect to see fins on the neck too. I don't like it but it's well done.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Gaye Advert playing a Burns Flyte bass!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

George wrote:if you like that you may like the gretsch electromatic range too. they look cool, i just didn't like the pickups at all. the double jet just looks so awesome
► Show Spoiler
S'nae bad, English, but I'm weirdly picky about double cut-aways; this one isn't beeping my horn alas.
► Show Spoiler
I'm guessing that Jay Turser is a copy of some Gretsch?

I'd fucking LOVE a Ricky 620, look at this sexy fucker:
► Show Spoiler
But they're crazy monies. Even the Tokais are a bit much.
George

Post by George »

i think the jay turser is a copy of an old silvertone or harmony design. not sure i could get on with the wooden bridge though.

the gretsch comes in a single cut too, but yeah, they're quite spendy for what you get in my opinion. if they were a hundred pounds cheaper it'd be a no brainer. it has that same americana rockabilly vibe as that jay turser though

YEP on the 620 . i owned a black 620/12 but it was a bit crap. a six string version is probably way better. i absolutely love the look, very striking and nice petite size.
moogmusic

Post by moogmusic »

I almost bought and Alden Quadrastar once, really regret missing out now but they seem rare as, especially for the differently handed.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

My local shop sells new Rics for the cheapest I've seen around....a 620 is $1200 iirc and they do ship. Food for thought but customs would probably destroy the bargains.

My 330 has been a dependable instrument and it's hard to believe I've owned it for 5 years now. Like George, compared to other 12 strings I couldn't get along with ric 12 strings but I love the 6's. Highly recommends!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Also that Turser is a copy of a Silvertone Jupiter

How about an Italia Mondial? This one's been on my radar for a while, it's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on one.

cur

Post by cur »

Doog wrote:Image
I'm guessing that Jay Turser is a copy of some Gretsch?
It reminds me of a guitar I played and liked last week end at guitar center. was hollow body thing like a dano or silvertone and had big chunky neck with narrowish fretboard that fit in my hand really nicely. couldn't put it down and had that cool hollow tone. Alodn was the brand and I never heard of it before, but the wanted way too much even though it was in good shape and was a player. If you look at the link, it had an odd stenciled on logo on the headstock.

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Woahwoahwoah... don't talk shit about hardluckkings guitars. they'll come in and start raising an awful fuss.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Cur- I owned one just like that....I think they have the brand name slightly wrong. I forget what the proper name is but it's in the harmony stratotone family. ..mine was sold to me as an airline on account of the scrolly "A" logo on the headstock. It also had a little atomic logo with a music note in the middle on the pickguard.

Nice guitar. ..at the time the pickup was just way too weak for me and I didn't have the heart to modify it.
cur

Post by cur »

Nick wrote:Cur- I owned one just like that....I think they have the brand name slightly wrong. I forget what the proper name is but it's in the harmony stratotone family. ..mine was sold to me as an airline on account of the scrolly "A" logo on the headstock. It also had a little atomic logo with a music note in the middle on the pickguard.

Nice guitar. ..at the time the pickup was just way too weak for me and I didn't have the heart to modify it.
I didn't plug it in, but it was one of those guitars that just felt good in my hands. I wouldn't mod it either if it can live that long without being molested it should stay whole. I figured the name was wrong, probably Alden link.