LP Project.... advice plz

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

h8mtv

LP Project.... advice plz

Post by h8mtv »

So I am not even really sure if I got a good deal here. I paid $150 for this mess. I am most concerned about the headstock really. I am not sure if I should remove the headstock laminate or what. Either way, the previous owners sanding job has misshapen it. I am hoping I can find a headstock routing template for a LP so I can just remove the smallest bit and restore the shape. I am not even sure what I am going to do about paint yet. I am pretty sure paint is my only option.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I can't quite tell what is happening in the photos. The laminate is just raised at the end? I think both fixes are probably pretty straightforward. More pics!
Yell Like Hell
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Yes, the laminate is coming up. The body was sanded and looks like he tried a few diff finishes in a few diff spots.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I just pulled all the pots and wires. It came with the tailpiece, two bridges, no posts.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Looks like he might have tried to burst it with the darker stain on outer edges and top of the neck being darker. How easy is to sand off the stain and start fresh?
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Not sure yet. I am going to grab some sanding sponges and get at it. I am more worried about the headstock really. Time to get out the clamps.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Oh... I see it now. The black line is a gap and not a second layer of veneer. Doesn't look to bad, as long as you can get it to sit flat again. Just get glue right the way in and clamp it up.

As for the irregularities on the headstock I'd just use a small file on it and sand paper round a small block til it's symmetrical. Sometime a good idea to get one side the way you want it then repeat it on the other. Starting with the side that'll need the most wood removed.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

Clamping in full mother fuckin effect.