Straightening a twisted or warped neck

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

jculpjr

Straightening a twisted or warped neck

Post by jculpjr »

Found this video which can help take out neck twist.

[youtube][/youtube]
cur

Re: Straightening a twisted or warped neck

Post by cur »

cool

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

HANDY!

if you have a guitar with a 3+3 headstock. Ever warped neck I've come across has been 6in line
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Very useful - in fact you may have just helped with a bad problem i seem to have made myself :oops:
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Nick wrote:HANDY!

if you have a guitar with a 3+3 headstock. Ever warped neck I've come across has been 6in line
He says in the notes that you can still do it with 6 on a side tuners- just drape the string across the other side of the head and use cardboard to avoid damage the the edge of the headstock.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

nice tip. Guess it would only be good if the finger board is off though otherwise it would mess with the glue? My mate did something similar, but without the heat, that seemed to do the job, but by the sounds of it this example must have been much worse. Tuners can be handy for a few repair jobs. One that we did at college used an old tuner attached to an L shaped block that we used to clamp a major crack in a soundboard by having a small E string running through the crack to a second block. When tightened it acted like a clamp. Very handy if the crack is down near the bottom of the lower end and regular claps won't reach.
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

He says you can still do the heating method with fingerboard on, but I guess the twist measurement will be tough due to the fingerboard radius not allowing a level measurement.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

jculpjr wrote:He says you can still do the heating method with fingerboard on, but I guess the twist measurement will be tough due to the fingerboard radius not allowing a level measurement.
Harder yes, but sighting is still gonna be a near enough for my money. My issue is a too much back bend however so will need to reverse it. Had it strung up with the strings super sharp to really put some effort on the neck, but it isn't yet sorted, looks like a slight twist on the treble side too.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Casual_Reader

Post by Casual_Reader »

that'd be FreddyG... just a great guy with a lot of good vids.

If you're a Rush fan, he's got a thread or two at mlp forums where he's recreating hentor sportcasters.

there's also a very good refretting tutorial thread he posted there - stickied in the luthier's corner section.