Installing a Mustang/Jazz/Jag/Mastery into a MIM is easy.

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

honeyiscool

Installing a Mustang/Jazz/Jag/Mastery into a MIM is easy.

Post by honeyiscool »

So for those of you who have never wondered about this... all you need is some Mustang-style thimbles and some copper tape. You need to take the Nashville-style Tune-O-Matic bushings out. There are many ways of doing this but the easiest way is to, first, screw the studs out of the bushings. Then, take a decently sized screw and drop it into the hole. My favorite are Strat pickup height screws, and I drop them head first so that it doesn't accidentally get pushed in. Now, take the studs and screw it into the bushing. As you screw it in further, the bushing should push itself out. Cool, right?

Now, take your Mustang-style thimbles and slip them in the slots, except, oops, the holes are too big! So you have to wrap the thimbles in some tape. You can use any kind of tape on the top post but the one near the control cavity has the grounding wire attached to it, so you have to use copper tape. I found that I needed about 15" of copper tape for a snug fit. Make sure you use tape that is sufficiently thick so that it touches the grounding wire. I wish I had taken pictures of this process because once I had found the perfect amount of copper tape, the thimbles did not want to come out at all. That's good, right? But before I popped the thimbles in, I took my Sharpie paint pen and painted the recessed lip of the holes so that there would be no exposed wood. That's probably a good thing.

Anyway, it looks like this when completed:

You can see, it's properly grounded:

Now, drop the bridge in:

It's a perfect fit:

The only downside to this is that you will need the bridge pretty elevated to make sure that it's high enough, thanks to the recessed thimbles. However, that might actually be a good thing since it should result in greater string break angle.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.