tricks for playing w/out a bassist?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

brainfur

tricks for playing w/out a bassist?

Post by brainfur »

i know some dudes play w/out bass and use like an octave down effect into a bass amp for some low end but where do i learn about how to do this well? I have listened to several pedal demos on the tube but the effects sound kinda shitty-- what's the secret to pullign this off?

is it pickups? effects? amp?
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

The best I've ver seen was a guy in Blood n Stuff. He had a dual output guitar, and a few amps. I imagine the neck pickup (which only had the lower 3 pole pieces) was running into the "bass" board, with a MicroPog, and maybe some other pitch shifters into a bass amp, or two. The bridhe pickup (with only the three upper pole pieces) was going through the guitar rig.

After you get some decent sounds, the trick is to write songs/chords that work well with that setup. And WATTS. You want plenty of bass amp watts.

[youtube][/youtube]
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

you have to play pretty much constantly on the two bottom strings or it sounds gash. the actual 'getting a decent sound' part isn't that hard.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

stewart wrote:you have to play pretty much constantly on the two bottom strings or it sounds gash. the actual 'getting a decent sound' part isn't that hard.
yeah i kinda figured it would have to be a "limited to power chords" kinda thing but i was thinking about doing a doom sort of duo w a drummer I met
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

doesn't have to be power chords, but just be mindful of keeping things ticking along. if you're doing doomy stuff it should be really easy.

a couple of my mates play in this 2-piece, and the guitarist doesn't bother with a bass amp, just a boss OD-3 with drive set to full (and other pedals) and it sounds beasting in the flesh:

[youtube][/youtube]

tiny, tiny drum kit too.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

doing live is a lot harder than on a record. i've done it plenty of times on recordings and that part is easy. use a pog or whammy or drop tune and play the root notes of the chord on the low e..or tune down to drop c even and then play the root notes on the lowest string. you can add some little bass type runs. Playing it live is a feat in itself..

You know what? My friend does it with his feet..I can call him and ask him exactly what he's doing. I think it's something like the bass notes on an organ in a foot pedal thing. They have a name for it. He uses that all the time when they don't have a bass player.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

brandonwinmill wrote: You know what? My friend does it with his feet..I can call him and ask him exactly what he's doing. I think it's something like the bass notes on an organ in a foot pedal thing. They have a name for it. He uses that all the time when they don't have a bass player.
this crazy thing maybe? moog taurus
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

You can make a guitar sound like anything with a pog. Right here my friend Julian will do cello and organ parts on a guitar...watch at 2:29 esp..

[youtube][/youtube]
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

brainfur wrote:
brandonwinmill wrote: You know what? My friend does it with his feet..I can call him and ask him exactly what he's doing. I think it's something like the bass notes on an organ in a foot pedal thing. They have a name for it. He uses that all the time when they don't have a bass player.
i think that is it but i thought it was a hammond..that looks sorta like it though..That should work also right?
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

brandonwinmill wrote:You can make a guitar sound like anything with a pog. Right here my friend Julian will do cello and organ parts on a guitar...watch at 2:29 esp..

[youtube][/youtube]
yeah that sounds pretty convincing i guess ill chop around for a used pog
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

scary is playing an electric solo..Solo meaning with no other instruments..at the 2:17 mark the sound was so full..i can't describe it and the video doesn't do it justice but it sounded incredible in the club. You can get demos of people playing a pog all day but my friend kills with it and this is in real context. He turns the pog on again at the very end. I've played it live with him and he plays the same chords over and over in different places on the neck the whole time and the song sounds really big and it always sounds like twice the number of guitarist that are actually there..I think Jackie Wilson would dig it.

[youtube][/youtube]
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

brainfur wrote:
I used a Minitaur and a MIDI foot controller for that type of thing. It's pretty cool, but a lot of work up front.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

ok..i just called him and it's a roland bass footpedal. He said it's very similar to a moog taurus so i said yep..that's what they said. He said the moog is analog where as the one kevin uses, the roland, is midi. I have a few samples. It's pretty amazing.

Here he's using it right when the audio starts..Audio isn't fantastic. this version of dax's band had my friends together in one band and it was awesome..

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is one that i videoed from backstage. That was an amazing night and we were all wasted but no Julian on guitar and Kevin isn't using the pedal. Both versions are good though

[youtube][/youtube]

That roland brings in a low grind that i'm in love with..
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The other option is to buy an OC-3 if you can find one at a reasonable price...
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I said OD-3 above but I meant OC-3.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I had no idea you could do so much with a POG.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Not a live version actually, but sounds great for me
[youtube][/youtube]
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

the pog and the hog are truly incredible..My friend in the videos was playing a show with Dax, i think, and Jessie Hughes was there and he was like wtf is going on here..Julian got one right when they came out and he started using it right away and people, especially guitar players, were like whoa..Very cool pedal if you need an invisible multiplier. That was his first time meeting Jessie and they stayed after demo'ing the pedal for hours and Jessie uses one now also. Most that hear it wants it. I like it much more than a whammy.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

octeoblasts was essentially a 2 piece band throughout high school. and now I have a 2 piece project called PUBLIC ACCESS CABLE TELEVISION. usually keep the guitar tuned full step down. no effects or big muff. it's so much fun. definitely more challenging than full band but I killed it at a packed Garfield artworks with just a drummer.

but I see two ways to go with it. use the silence that the lack off bass/rhythm guitar can cause or make a fuck ton of noise to fill in the gaps.

never really used octave pedals or anything. just tuned down to fill out the sound a little bit.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Trade secret / low tunings, octaver pedals, dual amps, altering playing approach
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit