Kurdtz jaguar now available without the relictz

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

astro

Kurdtz jaguar now available without the relictz

Post by astro »

Fender now offers the Kurddtz jaguar without the "road worn" relicing. Has a poly finish (I think the relic version is nitro?), and is $200 cheaper than the relic model. Left handed version is available, but is more expensive by ¢1.

Lank

I don't care for the Kurdtz mods but it would be fun to get one of these and undo the Kurdtzification by putting on a jag bridge, jag pickups, etc. if you want a bound and dots neck jaguar this would be cheaper to do than buying one of the insanely overpriced '65 AVRI models. If hadn't scored a 50th anniversary jag for a preposterously cheap price this summer, I would totally do this.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

I'd be interested in this for sure.
Hell is other people.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

No Klusons?
Fail.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Looks like a Classic Player HH. Sunburst is wrong too.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

Cymbaline wrote:No Klusons?
Fail.
No its not a fail, because Kurt used gotoh tuners.

And yes this is very nice news!
A clean version of his jag.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i don't understand why fender can't issue stuff at a roadworn-esque price but just finished in flat nitro, without that shitty relicing they do. they'd soon get bashed up. i know that's missing the lame point, but still.

they did a fiesta red J bass that was lovely, but no way would i buy one with that belt sander bullshit.
astro

Post by astro »

stewart wrote:i don't understand why fender can't issue stuff at a roadworn-esque price but just finished in flat nitro, without that shitty relicing they do. they'd soon get bashed up. i know that's missing the lame point, but still.

they did a fiesta red J bass that was lovely, but no way would i buy one with that belt sander bullshit.
The road worns I've played were lovely instruments, and you're right, it's too bad we can't buy them without the relicing. It's amusing that the Kurdtz jaguar is more expensive to buy if you want it to look like a used guitar.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

astro wrote:
stewart wrote:i don't understand why fender can't issue stuff at a roadworn-esque price but just finished in flat nitro, without that shitty relicing they do. they'd soon get bashed up. i know that's missing the lame point, but still.

The road worns I've played were lovely instruments, and you're right, it's too bad we can't buy them without the relicing. It's amusing that the Kurdtz jaguar is more expensive to buy if you want it to look like a used guitar.
The additional cost is justified due to the all of the extra work that is required to properly relic those guitars. I absolutely hate it when some lunkhead takes a belt sander to a perfectly good finish and calls it reliced, but my Fender Wayne Kramer strat is a work of art. All of the metal and screws have been aged to look as if it could have come through the sixties. The time and detail they spent to reproduce each and every little gouge, nick or scrape is amazing.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

astro

Post by astro »

speedfish wrote:
astro wrote:

The additional cost is justified due to the all of the extra work that is required to properly relic those guitars. I absolutely hate it when some lunkhead takes a belt sander to a perfectly good finish and calls it reliced, but my Fender Wayne Kramer strat is a work of art. All of the metal and screws have been aged to look as if it could have come through the sixties.
I know the cost is justified, I'm sure a lot of manual labor goes into making a guitar look worn. And there is definitely a lot of thought and artistry that goes into making a convincing relic. My amusement stems from the fact that personally I think relicing is a rather silly trend (that's just my personal taste). And it's amusing to me because a vintage guitar is worth less if it's been naturally reliced than if it has managed to stay in mint condition. I would rather buy a new guitar and age it by playing it.

Of course relicing makes more sense to me if it's meant to recreate a particular existing famous guitar like the Kurdtz jaguar. I mean no offence to those who like reliced guitars, more power to them if that's what they like and there's nothing wrong with that. I just prefer new guitars that look new.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

speedfish wrote:
astro wrote:

The additional cost is justified due to the all of the extra work that is required to properly relic those guitars. I absolutely hate it when some lunkhead takes a belt sander to a perfectly good finish and calls it reliced, but my Fender Wayne Kramer strat is a work of art. All of the metal and screws have been aged to look as if it could have come through the sixties. The time and detail they spent to reproduce each and every little gouge, nick or scrape is amazing.
the Wayne Kramer I've seen in person, the same one , many times, it made me fall in love it looks so natural. Never liked the "relic" concept before. Anyway I agree, it is a work of art. The one I saw looked like someone used it to pound nails into the wall, odd little clusters of pockmarks. And a nicely done yellowing . Only thing that confuses me is the pickguard, I assume he painted it himself but it isn't scratched through . The relic has an intact molded PG, not that it puts me off. Tell me is there a 500k pot in there for the humbucker?
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

61fury wrote:
speedfish wrote:
astro wrote: The road worns I've played were lovely instruments, and you're right, it's too bad we can't buy them without the relicing. It's amusing that the Kurdtz jaguar is more expensive to buy if you want it to look like a used guitar.
the Wayne Kramer I've seen in person, the same one , many times, it made me fall in love it looks so natural. Never liked the "relic" concept before. Anyway I agree, it is a work of art. The one I saw looked like someone used it to pound nails into the wall, odd little clusters of pockmarks. And a nicely done yellowing . Only thing that confuses me is the pickguard, I assume he painted it himself but it isn't scratched through . The relic has an intact molded PG, not that it puts me off. Tell me is there a 500k pot in there for the humbucker?
The pickguard confuses me too. I guess they couldn't find an economical method of adding the pick scratches or just figured that the owner will take care of that. I haven't taken the pickguard off to see what's under there, but to my ear it sounds kinda muddy, so I'm thinking that he didn't change the pot or capacitor.
Disciple of Pain

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

astro wrote:
speedfish wrote:
astro wrote: The road worns I've played were lovely instruments, and you're right, it's too bad we can't buy them without the relicing. It's amusing that the Kurdtz jaguar is more expensive to buy if you want it to look like a used guitar.
The additional cost is justified due to the all of the extra work that is required to properly relic those guitars. I absolutely hate it when some lunkhead takes a belt sander to a perfectly good finish and calls it reliced, but my Fender Wayne Kramer strat is a work of art. All of the metal and screws have been aged to look as if it could have come through the sixties.
I know the cost is justified, I'm sure a lot of manual labor goes into making a guitar look worn. And there is definitely a lot of thought and artistry that goes into making a convincing relic. My amusement stems from the fact that personally I think relicing is a rather silly trend (that's just my personal taste). And it's amusing to me because a vintage guitar is worth less if it's been naturally reliced than if it has managed to stay in mint condition. I would rather buy a new guitar and age it by playing it.

Of course relicing makes more sense to me if it's meant to recreate a particular existing famous guitar like the Kurdtz jaguar. I mean no offence to those who like reliced guitars, more power to them if that's what they like and there's nothing wrong with that. I just prefer new guitars that look new.
My sentiments as well. The only relic guitar that I own is the Wayne Kramer and I guess like 61fury that I just fell in love with it when I saw it. Like you said the better condition that a vintage guitar is in the greater it's value except if it's been owned by Hendrix, Cash, Cobain, etc,...then buyers want to see the abuse, scratches, dents and dings from the masters hands.
Disciple of Pain

weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

hey, ho!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

see, a naturally scuzzed up vintage guitar would always be of more interest to me than a mint one. given the choice I'd always buy a thrashed one over a clean job.
astro

Post by astro »

stewart wrote:see, a naturally scuzzed up vintage guitar would always be of more interest to me than a mint one. given the choice I'd always buy a thrashed one over a clean job.
If I owned a vintage guitar in mint condition, I would be so paranoid about scratching it that it would probably not get played much. Plus, the old guitars I've seen that were mint were usually not played because they were lemons that played or sounded poorly. The naturally worn vintage guitars I've played with natural relicing tended to be great sounding and well playing, hence they got played a lot.