Does this Duo Sonic Look Legit?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Does this Duo Sonic Look Legit?

Post by taylornutt »

I saw this on my local CL and wanted some opinions. The seller lists it as a 1964 Fender Duo Sonic II

The decal, tuners, neck, bridge and pickguard seem to be correct. What would be a good value for this guitar?

Any idea why there are two screws missing from the bridge? It doesn't seem like the holes are drilled.
More pics
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Headstock logo looks odd. I *think this is an original version. Notice the different placement.

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I think the decal placement is okay. Here are some 1964 Duo Sonic II necks I found on the web. I think the decals were not always consistent

Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

old neck. new body.
dots wrote:incesticide
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

robroe wrote:old neck. new body.
That's kinda what I was figuring. It would explain why those holes are missing under the bridge.

It could also be a refin.

Do you think the tort is original?

My current theory is all original 1964 Duo Sonic II except the body is different or be refin'd.

I also noticed two different color pickup switches, indicating maybe the original one was replaced.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Everything but the body and switch(es) look original. They were all over with logo placement back then. I have seen some weird ones. The guitar looks sexy as hell though. It is an A neck regardless. Jump on that shit if it isn't too much!
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

If the body is a refin, what's it worth?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I found more pics on ebay. The body looks older in these pics.

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

It could be the original body refinished too. It even has the original shielding. I'm really not sure on the value of it being my guess, a refinish. I would roughly say around $700-$800 but don't quote me lol. The refinish looks like it was done quite a long time ago. And it looks like they might have filled in the bridge holes for some reason. Look at the pickup routes. The paint around them looks like original Olympic white that was taped over during the refin.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
oldcanuck

Post by oldcanuck »

Too many red flags for me.... it would have to be a real deal, due to the fact that you may end up with a collection of parts.
duosonic

Post by duosonic »

lots of different parts going on there. I would say buyer beware.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Could be just an old refin, with a replaced switch. The price would vary between $700-1000. Less worried about old paint than about a Fender A neck. First year Duo II. Too late in the year to be tied to JFK.
Yell Like Hell