iOS DAW

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

singlepup

iOS DAW

Post by singlepup »

Anyone have recommendations for DAWs to use on an iPad?

I'm using Propellerhead's Figure to create 8 bar beats on the go. Would like a simple yet powerful DAW to sequence/arrange. Would be great to have both audiobus and audiocopy capabilities.

So far I've been looking at Multitrack, N-track, and Nanostudio.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I use Nanostudio and Beatmaker. Love them both. Both very similar. I think the synth is much better in Nanostudio (eden synth) but i like the drums better in Beatmaker. If you hear any of the tracks i've submitted for comps on here then you've heard Beatmaker's drums.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I don't know if i'd call either a DAW though. Importing audio from live instruments is available in both but i hate the way it functions. Beatmaker has a lot of MIDI options and i'm sure Nanostudio does also. What i do is export the audio off my device and then mix in guitars or whatever on a pc. It can be sort of a bitch if i have a bar of drums wrong somewhere and i'm trying to track it down but other than that it works for me.

So basically i'll use sonoma fourtrack and the sonoma guitar jack2 to track guitar, vocals, bass, etc. I'll use one of the apps to sequence drums and any instrument i can't get my hands on (violins, synths, etc) and i export the live audio tracks into pro tools or audacity and i edit them and label them and save them. Then i offload the drums etc and load them in to pro tools or audacity and then i start dropping in tracks labeled such as "guitar jag rhythm 1 left side phaser" and "guitar strat rhythm 1 right side chorus" and "guitar les paul fuzzy center" etc. People get confused when they see my work because it's not simple but it works and i get better every song with the labeling and all that. Now i make a folder for each part of the song and then a sub for each amp and i play the whole song on different amps and guitars and effects and then plug them in to see which works best with the environment.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Good tips! I might try nanostudio. I'm thinking like you... start in iOS and get the track down quickly, then finish up on a PC.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i use garageband on the ipad for some recording there. you can now include external apps in to it. Also, I use audiobus to connect a number of apps so I can use different sound sources and effects.

I also got a irig midi adaptor so I can connect my synth & ableton to apps like animoog
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I've just downloaded audiobus... Loving it so far. Another great tip.

I also have an apogee jam... Works pretty well into garageband! I need a new lightning cable tho since I have a new iPad.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

singlepickup24 wrote:I've just downloaded audiobus... Loving it so far. Another great tip.

I also have an apogee jam... Works pretty well into garageband! I need a new lightning cable tho since I have a new iPad.
If i were going to use an ipad and i wanted a really tight interface then you may want to look at the focusrite itrack. It's incredible. I demo'd it but they thought it work for an iphone but it was glitchy. I tried it out on my cpu though and it was awesome. It also comes with some good plugins.

itrack

Or..the guitarjack2. The sound quality is unreal and it's really small..good luck
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I love focusrite stuff... Will def check it out.

The jam works really well tho, and apogee stuff is generally ace. Have you demo'd it as well?
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Oh wow... itrack is some next level shit.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

singlepickup24 wrote:I love focusrite stuff... Will def check it out.

The jam works really well tho, and apogee stuff is generally ace. Have you demo'd it as well?
No but i've taken notice of it. I'd like to. The reason i was excited about the focusrite is because it has one of their preamps in it and i love their stuff also. I'm going look at the apogee again.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

The jam is like a toy compared to the itrack it seems!!
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

singlepickup24 wrote:The jam is like a toy compared to the itrack it seems!!
Well, i'm not sure because the guitarjack2 by sonoma is truly incredible..and it appears to be very similar to the apogee jam. It doesn't have fancy mic preamps and such but with the guitarjack2 i get perfect zero latency recording and the recordings are flawless..no hiss or hum or digital glitches etc. The itrack would keep me from having to use a preamp in front of the other stuff and it works on both cpu and ios..The apogee and the guitarjack2 seem very similar and that's probably all you need. The itrack was appealing to me because when i first started doing this, i was using an iphone3 and guitarjack1 and the audio was clear but really low. I bought a cheap preamp as a boost for vocals and clean stuff so i could hear it. Now, they've come so far in 3 years. I was thinking i invented the itrack years ago by combining the interface with a preamp! ha.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Don't know anything about this. But it looks cool: Fender Slide
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

I already use the Cubase IC to control my stuff when recording..
but the pro version looks a little more bang, for a lot more buck
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mo ... c_pro.html

mind i use Cubase (artist 6 atm) as my DAW already, and it doesn't look like the pro version is specifically a daw for iOS so much as an app to control the DAW on yr machine (like the non pro version..)