Ibanez Talman TC530 / TC630 wanted

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

routed

Ibanez Talman TC530 / TC630 wanted

Post by routed »

Anyone out there own an Ibanez Talman electric guitar?

I have a Danelectro dead on 67 Hornet reissue... love the sound of the lipstick pickups but prefer a slimmer neck.

I would be interested in trading it for an Ibanez Talman TC530 / TC630.

I'm based in London .

cur

Post by cur »

Not really supposed to be trading in here. That is what the classifieds are for. But you need to be patient and get your posts up for that.

I almost picked up a used dead on 67 from GC (orange my favorite one). and I was really surprised at the shape and width of the neck. Not at all like the other Dano necks I played. And I love the traditional Dano neck. But the dead on's neck was more like a wide gibson or shecter with big frets. I really liked it, but it is not fenderish at all. Probably should have got the guitar, but I need to start culling the herd.

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Could be tricky. Those Talmans with lipsticks are few and far between, have been out of production for a while, and IIRC they go for a fair bit more than the price of the Danelectro.

There is a Squier VM strat with lipsticks you might want to check out:

I've got a 90s Danelectro DC-3, which is nice guitar. Don't know how the neck compares with the '67 Hornet reissue, but I wouldn't say it's chunky.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

timhulio wrote:Could be tricky. Those Talmans with lipsticks are few and far between, have been out of production for a while, and IIRC they go for a fair bit more than the price of the Danelectro.
This.

The closest you will probably get is one of those Ibanez NDM models (based on the Talman) then modify it.
cur

Post by cur »

I have a 56 U2 pro reissue and the neck on it is totally different. If you like the lipstick sound, check out all the reissues you can find until you get a match. Also, GFS makes lipsticks that fit standard sc slots.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

routed

Post by routed »

Danelectro's seem to go high and low so I thought it might be easier to do a trade or p/x as it is a pretty cool discontinued guitar.

I have been trying to find an electric Talman guitar for years but no-one ever wants to sell them.

I would also be interested in a Vista series Jagmaster

Last edited by routed on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I might have this wrong, but I'd assumed that the Squier lipsticks were like most other modern lipsticks in that they were strat pickups in a fancy cover?
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

They're 'Duncan Designed' units. Would Seymour Duncan pull that trick?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

No idea. My hunch is based on nothing other than misguided prejudice that new equals bad and NOS equals good.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

A lot of the Talmans were kinda low budget, but my college roommate bought one that was towards the end of the run that was amazing. It had the 3 lipstick pickups with a green maple cap body and maple fretboard. They have a very thin neck profile especially behind the nut.

It looked like this:

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

I had a TC620.

It's one of the two guitars I regret ever getting rid of.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

And damn this thread to shitfuckhell.

I just found a TC620 for sale at a semi-reasonable price at a GC in Phoenix... and I'm going to be in Phoenix the monday after next.

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOU SHORTSCALE!!! You're gonna make me spend money if it's still there when I arrive.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
cur

Post by cur »

As luck would have it, I came across a vintage lipstick today for cheap. Guy is supposed to mail it to me next week unless he flakes.

paul_

Post by paul_ »

timhulio wrote:They're 'Duncan Designed' units. Would Seymour Duncan pull that trick?
I definitely think they would on the cheapo Duncan Designed series.
My experience with the GFS lipsticks is that while they're constructed differently to Strat pickups they're certainly not any richer in old Dano vibe for it, and a Strat with most modern strat-sized lipsticks won't sound any less Stratty than it did before... the best thing you can stick them in and expect an improvement is a Squier or import Fender that had those ceramic bar magnet single coils really, and even then you have to change the pots before you get anything more chimey or bell-like.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Rox

Post by Rox »

You want to trade a Dead On 67 for a Lipstick Talman ? A Japanese Lipstick Talman ( most of the lipstick ones were MIJ I'm pretty sure of..) ? Hate to say it but you're crazy . The lipstick Talmans are getting rare and the ones that have them sure as hell won't trade for a Dano unless it was a Vintage or something .
I'd hate to burst your bubble ..
There are options though .. GFS sells pretty inexpensive lipsticks . I might get a set for my Jag . And I kinda have an idea you might wanna trade . That wooden bridge kinda sucks .. Ok.. It does suck .. Change that bridge and see how awesome that thing would be . The Dead On 67 was one of those guitars I wanted to love but then I'd play one and want to smash it . Twice I went to Sam Ash with cash in my pocket to buy one and leave empty handed saying to myself " I'm not buying that POS " . I did get to play a new 67 with the gator crap on it and it played remarkably well but hated the gator crap. Why it play so well ? The fixed metal bridge .
Last I checked a TC 5 or 6 were going in the steep of $500 . Most likely more in the UK . You guys pay too much for gear .
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

there's one with humbuckers at my local guitar center. looked nice.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

I'm also interested in a Talman or a Vista Jagmaster. I have one pair of used socks and a pack of fruit pastilles to trade, yes, no? Sorry to say it but the trade you've spoken of doesn't work. Your Danelectro is cool definitely but it isn't worth the same value as the two guitars you've mentioned.

Do what someone said earlier and try and trade for an Ibanez NDM (or whatever it is) and mod it. Or sell the Danelectro and buy an Ibanez that's as close to the Talman you want and again mod it to suit your needs.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Fuck this thread. Fuck it in its face.

If the Talman in Phoenix hasn't sold, I might just pull out the cash and buy it.

FUCK THIS THREAD.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Nah bro. One knob is on the pickguard, the other is on the jack plate.