Fender logos

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickD

Fender logos

Post by NickD »

What are peoples thoughts on using Fender logos on parts guitars? I see it quite a lot, often on custom guitars that might have a fender tre, or tuners, but little else.

I tend to shy away from it - misrepresentation and all that, of the guitars I put together myself, one has a custom logo, based on mine and the OHs surnames (it's part squier and part warmoth in reality) and the other currently has nothing on the headstock, but will likely end up with a custom logo too.

So what do other people think - dishonest or harmless?
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

Dishonest. I cannot understand the reasoning behind it. If it isn't to fool buyers, then why? To look "cool"?
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

I didn't bother on my bitsa tele, and don't think the headstock looks bereft without one. My bitsa strat, however, has a large headstock, and I think they look pants without a decal on there. If I could have adapted my name, or whatever, into a cool approximation of a Fender logo, I'd have done it, but it doesn't really fit, so I stuck a Fender logo on there. Never plan to sell it (one of the reasons I made bitsas is because the resale is pants, so I'd never sell them) so it's not misrepresentation much.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Got a Fender logo on my parts tele thinline, simply because the guitar looks unfinished without one. Again, I wouldn't sell it as the value of the parts far exceeds its value as a whole.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I see both of your points, and agree that if you aren't going to sell it isn't misrepresenting to gain a benefit. I think if the intention is to be dishonest (sell for a profit, show off that it is a Fender) then I have a problem with people doing it, if it is for your own gratification, then it is your choice.

I also agree that the fender logo looks right, I just can't bring myself to put it on a non fender. However, I don't think a Fender designed guitar looks right without a Fender shaped headstock.
George

Post by George »

wouldn't do it personally. i think there's something a little dishonest about it, but if you don't ever intend to sell, or at least are completely open about it when you sell then who cares. obviously a repair job on a vintage or damaged decal is fine, but would probably devalue the guitar anyway if it loses mojo arrows
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

benecol wrote:I didn't bother on my bitsa tele, and don't think the headstock looks bereft without one. My bitsa strat, however, has a large headstock, and I think they look pants without a decal on there. If I could have adapted my name, or whatever, into a cool approximation of a Fender logo, I'd have done it, but it doesn't really fit, so I stuck a Fender logo on there. Never plan to sell it (one of the reasons I made bitsas is because the resale is pants, so I'd never sell them) so it's not misrepresentation much.
I'm in the same boat. It looks nekkid without a fender logo.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

put a gibson logo on the headstock
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I think a parts guitar doesn't look right without a logo. Putting a fender one on it isn't really an issue for me unless the person is trying to sell it and pull the wool over someone's eyes, which I know probably wouldn't happen here.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I built and a few years later sold a parts strat, with a fender decal, and these words in the listing: this is not a fender guitar it says fender in the headstock because I am vain I also emailed the winning bidder to make sure they understood.
Last edited by dezb1 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
XY
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

dezb1 wrote:I built and a few years later sold a parts strat, with a fender decal, and these words in the listing: this is not a fender guitar it says fender in the headstock because I am vain I also emailed the winning bidder to make sure they understood.
Perfect way to go about it.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

If I built another I'd do a custom logo, cause the amount of emails I got asking if it was a fender or not was tremendous... and I think the fake logo eventually put me off the guitar.
XY
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Standardised decal in Fender style:

Fanboy Partscaster
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I put a Fender decal on a Squier standard Tele once. It felt stupid after I did it because it still looked and felt like a Squier.

I eventually sold the neck and swapped it for an MIJ Squier Bullet neck.
cur

Post by cur »

I have 4 with nothing on the headstock and they al look fine to me. I have a parts guitar/strat that has squier jagmaster on the headstock does not bother me a bit. I think it is fun when people make their own custom ones, but I have never felt the urge.

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

timhulio wrote:Got a Fender logo on my parts tele thinline, simply because the guitar looks unfinished without one. Again, I wouldn't sell it as the value of the parts far exceeds its value as a whole.
This. I also wanted to try my hand at applying a water slide decal and since I don't plan on ever selling the guitar I thought it would be fine. It would look odd to me not having it.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

daftsupernova wrote:put a gibson logo on the headstock
I've seen Fenderish guitars with Gibson logo, fakes though. But Gibson has made superstrats, and Epiphone had some strats and teles, but with Gibson/Epi headstocks.

I'd like to see people put Squier decals on their Fenders.
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HNB

Post by HNB »

I have put Fender Jazzmaster Logos (with swirls) on blacktop Jazzmaster necks because I didn't like the plain blacktop Fender logo. I have also put custom decals over a Fender decal for fun. I just do it because of how I want it to look. I haven't ever tried to pass off a guitar as anything it isn't. Unfortunately I can't control what the next person does.

My Telecaster project is getting a warmoth neck and I will likely put a Telecaster decal on it. It is a licensed by Fender neck, so I don't feel putting a Fender decal on it is dishonest. I would of course state that the neck is a warmoth one, but it is going on a Fender Telecaster body. Just a sticker. My Squier Jaguar has it's Squire decal. My SQ Japanese Squier Telecaster has a Squier logo. I am not really a branding snob, but it makes no difference to me if other people are as long as they are honest about it. Some people just like that logo be it Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, whatever. I made a repro Univox decal for someone who was restoring their Univox guitar.

Honestly when I do headstock decals for other, I like them better when they are totally custom. I have much more fun when people have their own idea they want for their guitar to make it more personal. :)
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻