1971-72 Fender Telecaster Project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Post by HNB »

Resistors finally came in so I got the wiring done. Sorry for the odd shape from my cell phone camera. :)

DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

How is an Esquire done? :)

For the life of me I can't find a photo that shows how all that stuff hooks together in an elegant way. Mine looks like I tied a bunch of coat hangers together. I asked on TDPRI and as always heard nothing but urinals flushing.

Cap 1 hooks to resistor, then to Cap 2, which then feeds to ground. But I haven't connected wire to wire before. I have seen them bundled into a tight stack of either Sprague drops, or PIO cylinders, but not in a way that I could follow the wires.

And that's not even getting into the Eldred Cocked Wah mod—whatever the fuck that is.

Yell Like Hell
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

wasn't able to figure it out so it went back to being a Tele. lol
HNB

Post by HNB »

This is the diagram I used. :) Wasn't hard. I did put wire coating over the capacitor and resistor wires to help make sure they are covered to avoid shorts.

Bridge position bypasses the tone pot. Middle is normal volume and tone, Neck position adds more bass and such with the cap and resistor. So far as far as I can tell the tone pot doesn't work in neck position. Just bassy tone. :)
HNB

Post by HNB »

Neck came in. Tinted satin. I really dig it, except it is a little too big for the pocket. Now I have to figure out what to do. Easiest option would be to take a little from the pocket. Some would say neck, but it would take the tinted finish off. Seems really close. Thoughts? It is a refinished body and it has that middle pickup rout anyways. Might as well take a little from the pocket?

NickD

Post by NickD »

The general advice tends to be sand whichever is the cheapest.
HNB

Post by HNB »

I was working on my vintage Jag and used it to check the pocket. It was too tight for that neck as well, so I decided to take out the tiny bit needed from the pocket to get the neck to fit. Looking good! Once I have my decal, I can do the rest of the assembly.

ImageIMG_6580 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6581 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6582 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6584 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6585 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
cur

Post by cur »

That looks great.

HNB

Post by HNB »

Neck progress! Looking cool. Tomorrow I can spray some clear on it. :)

ImageIMG_6608 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6609 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Are you going to clear coat over the decal?

I think you made the right call making the pocket bigger. Looks fantastic.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
HNB

Post by HNB »

Thanks! I plan on doing a thin layer of clear over it to help protect the decal. Not enough to bury it in clear, just a layer to help keep it from peeling off. Then I will use some steel wool to knock the shine off and polish to give it a satin look like the rest of the neck. Trying to decide if I should use my Deft nitro clear or my acrylic clear. I am worried the Deft nitro would mess with the nitro Warmoth used.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Damn, that Esquire is lovely. It's just the guitar I've been after. 8) 8)
HNB

Post by HNB »

Thanks!

I put the first light coat of clear nitro on it. I only taped off the fretboard. I didn't do around the headstock so it should (hopefully) be easier to feather and blend.

ImageIMG_6621 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
HNB

Post by HNB »

Got the tape off. I will let it cure for a few more weeks before I mess with it since it is nitro and I want it totally cured before I drill.

ImageIMG_6654 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6655 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6656 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
impmann

Post by impmann »

Very nice.

I'm surprised you needed to adjust the pocket... my '72 Telecaster's original neck bit the dust courtesy of a low lighting gantry and an ill-advised rock n roll move at the end of Teenage Kicks one night and so has been replaced with an Allparts one. This slotted in an was a better fit than the original - and played nicer too, if I'm honest. Just shows that Fender tolerances weren't *that* accurate. 8)
HNB

Post by HNB »

Totally. I am pretty positive the neck pocket was on the smaller size since another actual vintage neck also wouldn't fit. I hate waiting on curing time, but I know from rushing in the past that you kind of have to just let it sit and dry. :)
HNB

Post by HNB »

Wetsanded and polished the headstock today. Looks pretty good! I will do all the drilling some other day. Haven't felt well today and don't want to rush the work.

ImageIMG_6794 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6795 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6796 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6797 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
HNB

Post by HNB »

Tuners installed. I found out the neck mounting screws I had are too big so I ordered some different ones. Once those arrive, I will get the neck attached. :)

ImageIMG_6880 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6878 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
NickD

Post by NickD »

It's looking really good.
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

NickD wrote:It's looking really good.