Replacing pickups in a Jaguar

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

DaveM81

Replacing pickups in a Jaguar

Post by DaveM81 »

I have a 94' MIJ Jaguar and I'm thinking about either the Curtis Novak or the Duncan Antiquitys.
I just discovered this forum and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable players here so I thought would fish for a few opinions.
Beau

Post by Beau »

Everyone is going to describe tone a bit differently.

Seek out some samples.

Antiquity
[youtube][/youtube]

Novak (yeah, pedals, but you get an idea of the capacity)

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Oh, if you didn't catch that, his name is Daniel.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I like the Duncan SJAG-2's.
They seem to cope with most situations without compromising the traditional Jag sound.
DaveM81

Post by DaveM81 »

Thanks for the clips. I feel like I've watched/listened to so many clips that I dont know what to think anymore. :D
I'm kind of leaning to the Novaks. They seem to have that vintage tone.
Hey Fran, do the sjag2s do well with diffent types of overdrive/distortion?
George

Post by George »

i had an sjag2 bridge and it was great for gain/overdrive. still had plenty of spank for clean stuff too

for many years it seemed the classic mod was to get an sjag2 in the bridge and an sjag1 in the neck. im not really sure about the current states of things though. the antiquities appear to have really taken off, so an antiquity neck may be a good shout
DaveM81

Post by DaveM81 »

Thanks for the the insight guys. I think I might go with an antiquity in the neck, and sjag2 in the bridge. That might accomplish what I'm going for. I'm tempted to put an hb in the bridge, but I don't really want to change that classic look on this Jag.
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

DaveM81 wrote:Thanks for the the insight guys. I think I might go with an antiquity in the neck, and sjag2 in the bridge. That might accomplish what I'm going for. I'm tempted to put an hb in the bridge, but I don't really want to change that classic look on this Jag.
Pillars and Novak's might be worth a shout?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The AVRI pickups are nice as well.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

To the OP, did you end up ordering anything? I'm shopping for Jag pickups for the first time in...10 years? I've had AVRI and SJag-2 pickups before, enjoyed them both, but thinking I want to try something different. Just not sure I want to drop two bills on a pair of Novaks. (Those Jag > JM conversion pickups are really tempting though.) Also, anyone know of any hum-cancelling Jag pickups?
DaveM81

Post by DaveM81 »

No, I haven't ordered my pickups yet. I got sidetracked by deal on a Jaguarillo at guitar center, but I think I'm going to get Duncan sjag1's for the neck and the bridge. I think they will have a good vintage tone without the Novak or Lollar price tag. Now I just have to figure out what I want to change the middle pickup in my new Jaguarillo to. 8)
Rox

Post by Rox »

I was about to post something about this . I'm looking to take my modded Jag Special and rip out the pickguard and pickups and fit 62RI pickguard and pickups . Anyone do this ? How much modding involved to swop the pickguards ? Are they that different ?
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

Rox wrote:I was about to post something about this . I'm looking to take my modded Jag Special and rip out the pickguard and pickups and fit 62RI pickguard and pickups . Anyone do this ? How much modding involved to swop the pickguards ? Are they that different ?
Am I right in thinking your guitar has buckers and a TOM and stoptail?

I think a CP guard might be a better fit to accommodate the TOM, you mind need to do some routing as well.
You might have to drill some new screw holes as well.

This is all speculation on my part, if you take the guard off you will get a better idea.
Aguirre

Post by Aguirre »

This might seem sacrilege but I'm quite happy with my MIJ jag pickups particularly the neck but they do squeal in high gain situations so I'll probably just have them wax potted
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

Aguirre wrote:This might seem sacrilege but I'm quite happy with my MIJ jag pickups particularly the neck but they do squeal in high gain situations so I'll probably just have them wax potted
I spoke to a pickup winder about this on another forum andd I think he said that it can be done but it can just as easily break/damage the pickups as welll

I will see if I can get more info
George

Post by George »

meltedbuzzbox wrote:
Aguirre wrote:This might seem sacrilege but I'm quite happy with my MIJ jag pickups particularly the neck but they do squeal in high gain situations so I'll probably just have them wax potted
I spoke to a pickup winder about this on another forum andd I think he said that it can be done but it can just as easily break/damage the pickups as welll

I will see if I can get more info
I honestly can't see how you could damage them if you followed instructions
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Looks like Fender are now selling the pickups from the AV65 Jags:

LANK
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Rox

Post by Rox »

meltedbuzzbox wrote:
Rox wrote:I was about to post something about this . I'm looking to take my modded Jag Special and rip out the pickguard and pickups and fit 62RI pickguard and pickups . Anyone do this ? How much modding involved to swop the pickguards ? Are they that different ?
Am I right in thinking your guitar has buckers and a TOM and stoptail?

I think a CP guard might be a better fit to accommodate the TOM, you mind need to do some routing as well.
You might have to drill some new screw holes as well.

This is all speculation on my part, if you take the guard off you will get a better idea.

To clarify the speculation the pickups and pickguards WILL fit without any routing . To a point . On the Jag HH Special like I have the guard lines up but holes will not so there will be new holes to be made in the body. Also some modding will be involved ( very slight filing ) so it will fit around the TOM slots . The pickups will fit just fine . In fact I was reading on Gearpage ( grain of salt ) that some of those guys were fitting Jag single coils in their Strats for a " brighter " tone ( you know , because a Strat just isn't bright enough ..LOL ) . There will be the humbucker slots under the pickguard but on a tonal prespective it won't afftect anything . The pickups will just float on the pickguard .
There you have it I guess.. I'm ordering a 62RI guard and pickups . Pics later .
Rox

Post by Rox »

Here are pics just to make it clear. Routes are huge. You could fit Jazzmaster pickups in these canyons.

Here are the pickups in the routes.

Almost done. Need longer screws to mount the pickups. Other than that it's totally doable.

DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I have several Novaks. I sent him a vintage XII pickup and he created three new ones and wired them into two sets. I like the guy, so I would rather pay him than a big company, given the choice.
Yell Like Hell