Schecter Ultra VI

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

lolreconlol

Schecter Ultra VI

Post by lolreconlol »

Anyone have one and use it as their main bass? I'm looking for a new #1, and I'm not really happy playing 4 stringers anymore. I played a Squier bass vi, but I wasn't thrilled with it due to light strings. How heavy can you go? I've seen some talking about buying string sets with .102 on the top. I'm completely in love with the look and idea, I just want to make sure it'll be able to fill the gap and win me over. Anyone? Thanks! :)
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

The pickups kinda suck for bass, but tuned up to baritone they're alright.
The Ultra VI plays nicely and has a nice neck, but the switches are a little cheap; I find the split humbuckers position doesn't offer anything of use. I love the look, however.

The current, SJAG-1 equipped, Hellcat VI is the better sounding instrument. When I bought my 2012 Hellcat, I pretty much stopped playing my Ultra (which I played more than my mini-humbuckers equipped Hellcat). I love the way the Ultra looks and feels, but the current Hellcats are just better basses.

I converted my Ultra to a baritone and it works better that way. I'll post video when I get home.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:The pickups kinda suck for bass, but tuned up to baritone they're alright.
The Ultra VI plays nicely and has a nice neck, but the switches are a little cheap; I find the split humbuckers position doesn't offer anything of use. I love the look, however.

The current, SJAG-1 equipped, Hellcat VI is the better sounding instrument. When I bought my 2012 Hellcat, I pretty much stopped playing my Ultra (which I played more than my mini-humbuckers equipped Hellcat). I love the way the Ultra looks and feels, but the current Hellcats are just better basses.

I converted my Ultra to a baritone and it works better that way. I'll post video when I get home.
Oh that's too bad, so the low end is lacking with the Ultra? :( Is the SJAG equipped better for bass?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Low end is there, but they're muddy with less note definition than the single coils. They don't offer the high output of a good humbucker, neither... the SJAG-1 pickups in the current Hellcats are hotter with better note definition.
If you're not going to chord, however, the Ultra sounds ok enough... but that's not exactly what makes a VI worth playing ;)

Here's an older band video where I was playing my Ultra, covering some crossover type bass playing (verse) and standard bass (chorus)
[youtube][/youtube]
Same song with the Hellcat, studio rough mixed: http://soundcloud.com/ankhanu/itll-all ... -rough-mix

And the Ultra set up baritone style
[youtube][/youtube]

Hope that helps some.

Like I said, the Ultra is a good instrument; it's well built, it looks tits, and it plays well... but the pickups weren't my cup of tea. The old Hellcat VIs has similar, but different, Duncan Design minihumbuckers, and the two sounded pretty much identical... The current Hellcat VI with single coils has better definition and better chording. For single note play, though, they'll be fairly similar.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Oh, regarding strings, the LaBella Hellcat VI strings are great (HC-6S, HC-6N, HC-6F; stainless, nickel, flat respectively) are fantastic and cheap. They're 0.95s. They're not fantastic for downtuning, but in E-e, they're fantastic.

I found the Ultra benefitted from the brightness of stainless to overcome some of its muddiness, same with the old Hellcats. The current Hellcats are brighter, and nickel is probably better. Others love flats, but they're too dull for my use/tastes.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I had one for a long time, and I LOVED IT! I found it pretty damn good for bass, but I sort of flipped between the lower three and upper three strings in a rock type situation. I think it really shines as it's own focus. this is a pretty weird thing I did with it. I'm mostly using trebly sounds, though. Also I'm going through two mega bass amps, that certainly helps to push the lows.

[youtube][/youtube]

NOw I use a Squier VI. I think it has a much greater range of tones, especially with some pedals to help it along, you can get a very nice deep bass, all the way up to that spaghetti western twang and clang. But overall the UVI is better built and feels more solid.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Rox

Post by Rox »

I've loved the Ultra VIs . If you hate the pickups I've seen where people have placed mini humbuckers ( SD Firebird ones I assume ) which makes these sound very cool .
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

One guy in the Schecter Hellcat and Ultra VI Players Facebook group used Alumitones in his; said it made a world of difference. They're a better pickup and look pretty sweet with the instrument design as well.

Image (Facebook image, may not show up here)

I've been wanting to replace the pickups in my Ultra for a couple years, but haven't had the cash for the new pickups. Same with my Japanese Jaguar :P

Only issue with the Ultra really is the pickups... that and it's a relatively expensive model. Take something that's already a little expensive and have to turn around and put more money into it to make it really worth while and it's just not a good scene (financially).
I'm really glad I restrung mine and tuned it up to baritone, as it just sat on the stand after I got my new Hellcat; it just didn't sound good enough. I love how they feel and play, but the sound blew. tuning it up to baritone opened it up a bit and gave it a completely different role than the VI, giving me a reason to pick it up again.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:One guy in the Schecter Hellcat and Ultra VI Players Facebook group used Alumitones in his; said it made a world of difference. They're a better pickup and look pretty sweet with the instrument design as well.

Image (Facebook image, may not show up here)

I've been wanting to replace the pickups in my Ultra for a couple years, but haven't had the cash for the new pickups. Same with my Japanese Jaguar :P

Only issue with the Ultra really is the pickups... that and it's a relatively expensive model. Take something that's already a little expensive and have to turn around and put more money into it to make it really worth while and it's just not a good scene (financially).
I'm really glad I restrung mine and tuned it up to baritone, as it just sat on the stand after I got my new Hellcat; it just didn't sound good enough. I love how they feel and play, but the sound blew. tuning it up to baritone opened it up a bit and gave it a completely different role than the VI, giving me a reason to pick it up again.
So in a bass roll, you'd recommend the new Hellcat? How noticeable was the difference in tone when playing single note basslines?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Ultra is warmer with less attack... But you can roll back the tone a bit on the HC and get similar, especially if you use nickel or flat wound strings. The real difference is in chording; Hellcat has MUCH better note definition and clarity.
That said, there are songs with my band where I have to curb the bite of the Hellcat where I never did with the Ultra (or old Hellcat)... It all comes down to application, amp EQ, string choice and the like as to which is "better"... Though, yeah, I think the Hellcat is the better sounding ;)
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:Ultra is warmer with less attack... But you can roll back the tone a bit on the HC and get similar, especially if you use nickel or flat wound strings. The real difference is in chording; Hellcat has MUCH better note definition and clarity.
That said, there are songs with my band where I have to curb the bite of the Hellcat where I never did with the Ultra (or old Hellcat)... It all comes down to application, amp EQ, string choice and the like as to which is "better"... Though, yeah, I think the Hellcat is the better sounding ;)
Thanks! Do you have any isolated bass tracks of you playing before you changed it over to a baritone? How would you compare it to something like this - similar? Deeper? I'm just torn on what to get that has the best chance of being my main bass. :D
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Two years ago I did a "comprehensive" comparison between the Ultra and the original Hellcat - http://soundcloud.com/ankhanu/sets/hc-ultra
I never got around to adding the 2012 Hellcat to that, unfortunately.

That's using a Twin Reverb amp setting... if you use a bass amp, you'll obviously get a better traditional bass sound.

I can't really comment on the Sidejack, as I'm on a laptop right now. I'll take a listen when I have access to proper speakers on the weekend.

I have been using Schecter VIs as my main bass since 2010. Each version, original Hellcat, Ultra and current Hellcat, has worked well for standard bass work; you just need to find the right pickup and EQ settings for the sound you want. That said, they all suck ass for slap/pop, if that's a thing you're into (I'm not).
Traditional bass finger picking takes some practice due to string spacing, I tend to play these with a pick... you can use guitar finger picking styles just fine too.

Where the real differences are pronounced are in chording and chord/note clarity. The single-coil models (not just split coils) offer the best clarity and chord definition. Chords are ok on the minihumbucker models, as long as they're A and up, while the single coils will give a passable F# or G; E and F chords are still a little muddy (I use them though).
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:Two years ago I did a "comprehensive" comparison between the Ultra and the original Hellcat - http://soundcloud.com/ankhanu/sets/hc-ultra
I never got around to adding the 2012 Hellcat to that, unfortunately.

That's using a Twin Reverb amp setting... if you use a bass amp, you'll obviously get a better traditional bass sound.

I can't really comment on the Sidejack, as I'm on a laptop right now. I'll take a listen when I have access to proper speakers on the weekend.

I have been using Schecter VIs as my main bass since 2010. Each version, original Hellcat, Ultra and current Hellcat, has worked well for standard bass work; you just need to find the right pickup and EQ settings for the sound you want. That said, they all suck ass for slap/pop, if that's a thing you're into (I'm not).
Traditional bass finger picking takes some practice due to string spacing, I tend to play these with a pick... you can use guitar finger picking styles just fine too.

Where the real differences are pronounced are in chording and chord/note clarity. The single-coil models (not just split coils) offer the best clarity and chord definition. Chords are ok on the minihumbucker models, as long as they're A and up, while the single coils will give a passable F# or G; E and F chords are still a little muddy (I use them though).
Man! I never thought this would be such a hard decision. The Ultra VI is on eBay for quite a bit less in the black finish..
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

If you can get it cheaply, get the Ultra... from there, if you find it too muddy, you can just do a pickup upgrade and you're likely set.
It's a lovely piece of wood, well constructed and feels great... if you get on with the pickups, great; if not, just swap em out :)
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:If you can get it cheaply, get the Ultra... from there, if you find it too muddy, you can just do a pickup upgrade and you're likely set.
It's a lovely piece of wood, well constructed and feels great... if you get on with the pickups, great; if not, just swap em out :)
Just placed the order! I can't wait.

Could I use the strings on this page on either bass? http://circlekstrings.com/store/bassVI- ... g-ss2.html Maybe the .102 if they'll fit..

Thanks again for all your help!
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I believe so... though I suggest these for the Ultra - http://www.elderly.com/accessories/name ... --HC6S.htm
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:I believe so... though I suggest these for the Ultra - http://www.elderly.com/accessories/name ... --HC6S.htm
Ordered two sets of them to hit the minimum order price - can't wait to get the Ultra! It says I should get it on Tuesday. The stock strings will probably be pretty bad, right? :D
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

As I recall, the stock strings weren't TOO bad... not nearly as bad as what's shipping on the Fenders & Squiers. The LaBellas are a step up, though.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
lolreconlol

Post by lolreconlol »

Ankhanu wrote:As I recall, the stock strings weren't TOO bad... not nearly as bad as what's shipping on the Fenders & Squiers. The LaBellas are a step up, though.
Cool, thanks. If I am unhappy with the pickups, what are my options? I want as much low end as possible.