2 input interface choice

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

sholkham

2 input interface choice

Post by sholkham »

Does anyone have any recommendations for audio interfaces, I've been looking at ones in the £100+ range and the choice is a little overwhelming.

What I want is pref:
  • 2 xlr/jack inputs
    Phantom power
    split headphone/monitor outputs
    USB
I was looking at the focusrite scarlette 2i2 which seemed perfect, except theres a lot of stuff online about it clipping when directly recording guitars .That isn't primarily what I want an interface for, but it seems like a shame. So stuff like that.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

I picked up a Tascam US-144 MK II for cheaps on the 'bay, and it's ok. No complaints about audio quality, although so far I've only needed the mic inputs (I use a different interface for line in). It does have some stability issues, especially on newer operating systems. Reputedly it works very well with Win XP. It used to BSOD at me fairly often on Win 7, but hardly ever since I tracked down the most recent firmware and drivers. It meets your specs, and on the whole, it's not bad if you find a deal.
sholkham

Post by sholkham »

Thanks, I actually decided to try my luck and bought a scarlett when I was in town today with the condition that If the clipping was a problem I could bring it back.

So far I'm enjoying it, I recorded some mic'd guitar parts where I had amplitube parts before and even though they lacked the prescence of the amplitube tracks they sounded more real.

Directly in I don't get any clipping with my mustang but I do with my p100 sg; but that's getting a pickup swap soon. I'll have to rewire my basses this weekend and see how they do because for recording I prefer amp sims for bass.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Is the clipping inherent even with the gain on the interface turned down to a moderate level?