xii bridge out of a toronado bridge?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

xii bridge out of a toronado bridge?

Post by Awstin »

This may be a plausible solution to building your own xii bridge while keeping it looking similar to an xii bridge...

What if you took a toronado bridge and removed the saddles? That would leave you six holes out the back for 6 strings plus you have 6 holes for strings with the string through bottom. There's 12 strings. Now all you would have to do is drill two holes in the plate for a 12 string TOM (with rollers would be best) or a 12 string staytrem bridge. This sounds really plausible to me and might look really nice.

See my dilemma is I have a venus xii on the way but I don't know if I wanna take the xii bridge off of that or make up my own xii bridge for a xii build. Opinions?
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Or just make it easy on myself and get a toronado bridge and add xii saddles to it...

http://bit.ly/1etKW87

Hmmmmmmm
Addam

Post by Addam »

I was vaguely considering a cobble up of Squier Musicmaster and Gotoh 12 string bridges.
Obivously the Squier plate and Gotoh saddles, and extra holes would need drilling.
I prefer the MM baseplate as it's notably thicker than the Toronado item.
But use whatever you have or can get fastest & cheapest, either way you're going to drill 6 extra holes.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I was also thinking you could use a musicmaster bridge too if you bought two of them and added more grooves to the saddles. (Two because the middle two saddles are different cuts than the rest)
Addam

Post by Addam »

If you're not bothered about saddle per string you could swap Jazzmaster saddles (with longer screws and springs) on a Toronado base plate.
Easy peasy and jobs a good'un!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

AddamInsane wrote:If you're not bothered about saddle per string you could swap Jazzmaster saddles (with longer screws and springs) on a Toronado base plate.
Easy peasy and jobs a good'un!
That's a good idea. I never played a jazzmaster bridge though so I can't say I would like it. I might go another way and use a gotoh bridge with the Rhoney surrounding plate.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I hate seeing the bridges getting pulled off xii's, I once saw someone out these saddles on a jm style xii, with the musicmaster/toronado baseplate...

It looked good, but you need a custom guard as it is smaller than an xii footprint
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I think I will use the venus bridge. Kevin makes the gotoh 12 string bridge surrounds and they line up exactly to the the xii bridge mounting holes. So it would be a drop in swap.