A question for Strat players

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

how many springs?

less than 2
6%
9%
44%
3%
38%

Total votes: 32
dezb1
The Oppressor

A question for Strat players

Post by dezb1 »

How many springs are on your trem? Took the back plate of my Vintage to have a look at how it was set up as it's the most stable and has the best feeling action of any S-type I've played... To find it only has 2 springs, which I was quite surprised at as I thought 3 was kind of the minimum.
XY
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

5, because I use 11s and am heavy handed. Like using 3 in an arrow formation too, though.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i've blocked mine off as don't use the trem
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Whenever I had strats, I used 5.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

benecol wrote:Like using 3 in an arrow formation too, though.
This might be a bit of rubbish but I've read if you use 3 springs they should all be equally spaced and straight. Having the arrow formation means the 2 on the outside are stretched more than the one in the middle and therefore the 3 springs aren't under equal pressure. Probably makes little difference but just a thought.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

DanHeron wrote:
benecol wrote:Like using 3 in an arrow formation too, though.
This might be a bit of rubbish but I've read if you use 3 springs they should all be equally spaced and straight. Having the arrow formation means the 2 on the outside are stretched more than the one in the middle and therefore the 3 springs aren't under equal pressure. Probably makes little difference but just a thought.
Why would equal pressure among the springs matter? The pressure is balanced against the pull of the strings and distributed symmetrically, so no one side is floppy, which is the important stuff.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Yeah I guess. I read that in extreme cases, maybe with heavy trem usage, the middle spring can come off the hooks because it's looser than the other 2. Not sure if that would really happen though.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I use 10s, the springs are set up hooks 2 & 4 to holes 1 & 6. The trem floats a little higher than I usually aim for but I'm loathe to tighten the claw screws in a bit for fear of fucking this setup up.
XY
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Three, all parallel.

I know not why, but it's got three of them on 10-46s, as purchased. More odd yet, six years on after buying it nearly blind at Ishibashi Shibuya (strummed chords for 60 seconds), it's the only guitar I've never had to make adjustments to, ever. I lucked out and I wish I knew why it had just three, but am simply glad that whatever bod at Fender Japan strung it up and gave it the bridge saddle/trem treatment apparently knew just what I needed.

Rox

Post by Rox »

My last Strat with a trem had 3. My current is a hard tail. Never cared for Strat trems.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

3 if I want to use the trem, 5 if I don't.

The trem on my AV '57 is the best one I've ever used. Sets up easy and stays there, stays in tune, is nice to strings. On most other Strats I've set up its taken a bit more work for some reason, and I'm currently hard tailing my project Strat for this reason. I love to use Strat trems though.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I used two once when set to floating with 9 gauge strings, but mostly 3 in an arrow head.

I dont want to start Spring Sniffing trend but I found the quality varies considerably and that can dictate how many springs you use, amongst other things.
George

Post by George »

5 for hardtail for alt tuning
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

This Carl Verhoosen whatever guy claims that the claw needs to be slanted for proper string tension- makes zero sense to me.
[youtube][/youtube]
Tubz
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

3, straight. With 10-46 strings.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Regardless of how many you use or in what arrangement, I always understood the crucial thing was to make sure that the springs are loaded when the guitar's sitting idle, as it were. IE that when not in use, there are gaps between the coils of the spring caused by it being ever so slightly extended by the tension.
Last edited by Bacchus on Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickS

Post by NickS »

2 with 9s
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

My strat has 3, can't remember if they're arrowed or straight. I do have the trem locked down though, so the claw is screwed right in for maximum tension.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Three, straight, with .011s and set to float. Quite functional with fairly stable tuning.
Technically not a Strat, I suppose, as it's a 2-post G&L Legacy, but should be basically the same.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
LaceSensor

Post by LaceSensor »

I haz a hardtail ;) so zero