A question for Strat players

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

how many springs?

less than 2
6%
9%
44%
3%
38%

Total votes: 32
Supersonicman

Post by Supersonicman »

Zero, blocked my trem off with a 9v battery.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Ankhanu wrote:Three, straight, with .011s and set to float. Quite functional with fairly stable tuning.
Technically not a Strat, I suppose, as it's a 2-post G&L Legacy, but should be basically the same.
If we're opening this up to "guitars that have Strat trems," my Super-Sonic trem is set up to float with three straight springs and 10-52s. It's pretty stable if I keep it in standard tuning, but it goes apeshit with the change in string tension if I need to play something in drop D, and then I have to spend 10 or 15 minutes tuning and retuning.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

5 springs, screwed all the way in
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
DanHeron wrote:
benecol wrote:Like using 3 in an arrow formation too, though.
This might be a bit of rubbish but I've read if you use 3 springs they should all be equally spaced and straight. Having the arrow formation means the 2 on the outside are stretched more than the one in the middle and therefore the 3 springs aren't under equal pressure. Probably makes little difference but just a thought.
Why would equal pressure among the springs matter? The pressure is balanced against the pull of the strings and distributed symmetrically, so no one side is floppy, which is the important stuff.
Springs are rates for weight (force) over distance. The arrow formation is like 3 and a fraction, since they are stretched a bit and are at a higher rate when in the state of equilibrium with string tension. That said, it's not a big fraction, I haven't figured it out yet, but if it's more than the equal of 3 1/4 springs, I'd be surprised.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

i use 9s on my strat and i've only got 2 springs on it for easy trem use, although i screwed the claw all the way in to keep it from floating. it works great for me, i can do some real nice gliding guitar with it.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Three springs on all my Strats, and my Supersonic. Most have the two outer springs slanted, but some go straight across. I put five on my Jagmaster , keep it floated 1/8" off the deck, and it stays in tune better than the ones with three springs. Currently using 9's on all, but plan to eventually change them over to 10's.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

daftsupernova wrote:i use 9s on my strat and i've only got 2 springs on it for easy trem use, although i screwed the claw all the way in to keep it from floating. it works great for me, i can do some real nice gliding guitar with it.
Why don't you want it to float?
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Last time I had a Strat, I had it set up with gauge 10 strings and five springs, the trem was set to float. I think having it screwed down making contact with the body makes the guitar sound a little shrill. I've since moved to 11 gauge strings on a 25.5" scale guitar though but haven't owned a Strat since then.
NickD

Post by NickD »

timhulio wrote:
daftsupernova wrote:i use 9s on my strat and i've only got 2 springs on it for easy trem use, although i screwed the claw all the way in to keep it from floating. it works great for me, i can do some real nice gliding guitar with it.
The floating trem is the main reason I don't like strats - I spent the first 10 years or so of playing using hardtail guitars, mainly a Les Paul, so my playing style means I have my hand resting on the bridge most of the time, which pushes the trem down a little and means I end up playing slightly sharp.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

with .13's on my duocasters i would use 6 or 7 springs if i could fit them in there
dots wrote:incesticide
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

2. Because that's what Adrian Belew had and he looked cool with that cover off.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

honeyiscool wrote:2. Because that's what Adrian Belew had and he looked cool with that cover off.
this. got 2 in mine now. thing ain't very functional though. first guitar innit.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

timhulio wrote:
I tend to change tunings a lot, mostly from standard to drop D, to double drop D, and then sometimes I use standard but with the high E down a semitone. And i just don't like floating strat trems. I have no use for the float.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

daftsupernova wrote:
timhulio wrote:
I tend to change tunings a lot, mostly from standard to drop D, to double drop D, and then sometimes I use standard but with the high E down a semitone. And i just don't like floating strat trems. I have no use for the float.
i always thought gliding sounded better with a floating trem no clunk as the trem hit the body on the way back...
XY
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

i dont get any clunking noise when i glide, i dunno how youre doing it.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Just always seems to happen when I let go of the trem arm, no matter how gentle I try to be... However for gliding I prefer to get a little upwards movement in the pitch.
XY