SS7: Pawn Shop Super-Sonic Project

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

wadeaminute wrote:I appreciate the question. No offense taken, and please don't take my response personally, because I am not referring to you specifically.
Good response.
I would like to own a Moderne, I once had a 83 Heritage Korina Explorer because I couldn't find the Moderne at the time.
I have one Strat because they ARE boring, mine is a black Squier with a red pearl pickguard, GFS alnicos, and brass trem block.

So you hacked them up to suit yourself?
Oh noes!
Da HORROR!
Obviously you enjoy them so who cares what anyone says.
duosonic

Post by duosonic »

I dig your Super-Sonic's. Great collection.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Just got my Sunfire Orange Supersonic...
The fucker is MEAN! Love those tones, the output is so hot and brash!

But like the Mustang.. needs to have the trem locked/blocked. I could tell right away the tuning stability is rather poor. I will be putting fatter strings on it of course but it really needs to be locked down.

So, I put all 5 springs in, then sand down a block of hardwood and insert it in the space... do I need to do ANYTHING with the actual bridge such as loosening the screws or tightening the screws?
Anything else I need to know about hardtailing it?
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

I had mine with 5 springs, screwed all the way back.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Hardtailing - I have actually filled the cavities with wood and then installed tele plates on four of them. That hardtails them up.
My blue one has a blocked trem - five springs, chunk of wood, and the six screws down far enough so that there is no slack but not so far / tight so that the bridge starts to lift.
My latest one - the purple one - has an original Squier Super-Sonic bridge / strat trem - so Japanese. I actually use the trem on this one. I've grown to like a bit of whammy goodness.
The blue one - my first - is getting re-worked soon, and I think that I will set the trem free again.
I am also going to try and combine the Strat 5-way and an Esquire 3 or 4-way switch so that you can pick your pickup combination and then pick your tone options. Plus a push-pull out of phase for the middle positions. So, seven times three or four for tones - 21 or 28 tones? Jeebus.
Last edited by wadeaminute on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Thanks Wadeaminute, BTW did you have to route for your new controls or is there a gap in the lower bout where the selector switch SHOULD be?

BTW here's my photoshop mockup of the SS with a gold anodized pickguard, whatta yall think yea or nay?
RastaSonic

Post by RastaSonic »

wadeaminute is the king of Super Sonics as far as I can tell. I have never seen so many different varieties in one place.

I feel the same about the SS. I was attracted to it because it was weird, unusual, and upside down. I also enjoy its compact size. No major guitarist uses the SS or has made it the Icon a Strat or LP is. I like that as well.

I found the comparisons between the Squiers and Fenders helpful here. I'm quite glad I never took the plunge on a Fender one because I love the tiny necks and construction of the Japanese models.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Cymbaline wrote:Thanks Wadeaminute, BTW did you have to route for your new controls or is there a gap in the lower bout where the selector switch SHOULD be?

BTW here's my photoshop mockup of the SS with a gold anodized pickguard, whatta yall think yea or nay?
I have indeed routed large holes for the relocated selector switches. No hole down there.
I dig the gold pickguard. If I had an orange one, I think that I would do mint green.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

A vote for bombastic decadence with the Squash-Sonic here. That thing looks refreshing.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Floorboardinit

Post by Floorboardinit »

Ok, call me crazy but I always wanted to build a tribute to the Norma and Eko guitars that came in the heavy flake back in the day. Have a custom tort pick guard made that was more angular and pointy...substitute some white witch hat knobs...and blasphemous as it is get rid of the chrome knob/input plate on the SS.

Here's a wacky Norma that would serve as my inspiration. JohnnyA
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Image[/quote]

this thing rulez!!!! 8) 8) 8)
bubbastain

Post by bubbastain »

Cymbaline wrote:Thanks Wadeaminute, BTW did you have to route for your new controls or is there a gap in the lower bout where the selector switch SHOULD be?

Big time yea!
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Wow glad you guys like it! Now I just have to have one fabricated :)
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

I have contacted two makers of custom anodized pickguards, neither of them have responded and it's been over a week. fucking lame

www.tone-guard.com/
www.anotone.com/
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:He loves Super-Sonics the way that Ted Bundy and Ed Gein loved women.
This reminds me of you joking about letting Aen modify your guitars, back before Dwarfcraft became a reality.

Also, remember how Rob(OG) made that guitar for a dude with the Strat Jack on the back and everyone flipped their shit? I still think it's a great idea, especially for gigging. Actually, strictly for gigging.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Are there any drop-in replacement Tuners that would be a little bit tighter than the stock ones on the Pawn Shop Supersonic? Trying to maximize tuning stability. Dropping in my 2 extra trem springs today as well.

After owning this puppy for a week - goddamn this thing fucking SCREAMS. Tone comes through even the nastiest distortion quite well. I love how it wants to be played all raunchy and sleazy 8)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

RastaSonic wrote: No major guitarist uses the SS
[youtube][/youtube]

Omar might be a little bit before your time, im not sure how old you are, but he was a huge influence on me, a ton of other people on this board, and the music industry. one thing is for sure is that that super sonic took a fucking pounding

dude made a lot of crazy sondz

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Cymbaline wrote:Are there any drop-in replacement Tuners that would be a little bit tighter than the stock ones on the Pawn Shop Supersonic? Trying to maximize tuning stability.
I bought my Pawn Shop neck and body without parts, and then used original Squier Super-Sonic tuners and the trem. So I have no experience with the stock tuners.
Remember, you would need left-handed ones.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Wow, Rob. You're a moody one today.....

Some folks today I'm reading must be menstrating from the mangina.....

There's a bunch that have used Shortscales. Kings of Leon is one, yes. Nirvana, Talking Heads, the Clash, Smashing Pumpkins, hell, a bunch. Oh. I'm sorry. My Bloody Valentine , A Place To Bury Strangers, Meeting Places for the youngins that just wanna seem ..... " unique". And if anyone here ever heard of The Beatles.....