GFS / Earl Slick guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Johno

GFS / Earl Slick guitars

Post by Johno »

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

White aged tele is great but the headstock is gash. But would definitely have one of those.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I saw him playing with the New York Dolls a couple of years ago. Played good for a 312 year old fella.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

He's like Keith Richards times 9/11.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
cur

Post by cur »

Get yer Joan Jett on for cheaps. Hmm.. still want a JJ signature.

paul_

Post by paul_ »

^Was looking at these the other night and that's the one I like. Probably a bit more Telecastery in feel than MM/Jr with the ash body and bolt-on maple neck. I love that funky, recessed high-mass brass wraparound... SO '70s.

Probably the premier wanky sideman of my early record collection, and one of few who gets a pass; thought it was kind of hilarious when he played with the Dolls, it seemed so wrong and so right at the same time (granted he's cut a lot of the gratuitous flash out of his leads since the '80s). Every time I see his name in print I invariably either hear John Lennon calling out his name before a stawk rawk solo or the record "David Live" [Bowie @ Tower Philadelphia] where Bowie was touring Diamond Dogs material with his newly-found/yet-to-be-recorded Young Americans aesthetic and Slick just noodles through every song.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Man I will never get over GFS product descriptions.

"What's the formula for incredible LP sound?? Oh how about using the BEST wood... The BEST hardware...The BEST tuners....The BEST pickups...

Yeah that's how we do it."

Oh, right, because that should be said about a $219, bolt-neck, single-knob, flat-top LP copy mass-produced who knows where? Sometimes I feel like emailing them and telling them they sound like huge ass hats and I'd never buy one of these just based off that fact.

That aside though, I do like the look of the bodies, but not anything else. Necks look unfinished, "hand-slotted" nut on a cheap guitar does not bode well, brass tuning pegs and strap buttons don't fit. All things that could be changed, yeah, but I find Axl Badwater guitars a lot more interesting for the price. Too bad that series was chopped down to almost nothing.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

these look like the shit that are in mom and pop shops for 89 dollars because they cant afford a fender license
dots wrote:incesticide
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

sooooooooooooooo boring
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

cur wrote:Image
Do like.

Reminds me of the cheapo guitar Paul Westerberg was playing on that infamous snl performance.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Noirie. wrote:
cur wrote:Image
Do like.

Reminds me of the cheapo guitar Paul Westerberg was playing on that infamous snl performance.
I'm totally in love with it!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

yes, i love how bare bones this shit is.
Rox

Post by Rox »

I've seen worse. I prolly wouldn't own one. Too simple. I need a shit load of pickups and switches. I'd need to go back to a regiment of Ritalin to understand one of those.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Rock'n'roll is the simplest thing in the world. It ought to be
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Rox wrote: I need a shit load of pickups and switches. I'd need to go back to a regiment of Ritalin to understand one of those.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

It's got a bridge P90, so it only needs a tone control added before it sounds better than most other guitars in the history of your face for basic crunchy rawk.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Nick, lol.
George

Post by George »

when i saw the thread i was hoping for something like this brown one he plays here...

[youtube][/youtube]

these sigs seem cool though and i like the headstock