Fender MP Shortscale Strats/Teles/Jazz Basses

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

robroe wrote:why would someone want a 24" neck on a bigass regular guitar?

mustangs are small
duo's are small
music masters are small
bronco's are small
super sonics are small

one of those guitars made bigger with a 25.5 neck would look fucking dumb. just like a full size telecaster with a smaller neck on it would look dumb.

the 30" bullet bass is smaller than the 34" bullet bass because duh.

Its 1.5 inch in length difference, Its not a lot, whip your little cock out and see how short 1.5 inch is
Rox

Post by Rox »

I couldn't find what the bodies are. A lot of the Modern Players are mahogany . You think they might be alder?
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

robroe wrote:now i can sell all my guitars, buy this telecaster and be contempt for the rest of my life
Do you mean content? I only ask 'cause it makes you sound like you want kids to stay off your lawn if you don't.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Rox wrote:I couldn't find what the bodies are. A lot of the Modern Players are mahogany . You think they might be alder?

OHHHH GOD NOW WE ARE GONNA START WITH THE ALDER BULLSHIT ? WHAT IS THIS 1998 ?

FUCK SAKE PEOPLE WE ARE ABOVE THIS
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Dillon wrote:that Strat looks like a kid's guitar.
THERE IS NOTHING OF SCALE TO REFERENCE IT TO IN THE PHOTO. LIKE A PENNY, OR SOMEONES HAND, OR A GUY STANDING NEXT TO A DRAWING OF A BRONTOSAURUS.....

HOW ON EARTH DOES IT LOOK LIKE A KIDS GUITAR ANY MORE THAN ANY OTHER RANDOM STOCK PHOTO OF A STRAT?

they look exactly the fucking same
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ITS NOT GOING TO LOOK LIKE A MINI STRAT.

THEY ALREADY MAKE A FUCKING MINI STRAT DUH
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

I think that the Jazz basses look cool. I wish I liked the Teles more, because I do want a 24" scale tele. Maybe they are awesome, and I will try them when they arrive here in Canada, but that is not the Tele that I would choose to be shrunken. I would love a standard Tele configuration with a rosewood board.
On a mostly unrelated note - I'm feeling that blue competition Super-Sonic in the header picture. Did someone actually make that?
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

robroe wrote:
Dillon wrote:that Strat looks like a kid's guitar.
THERE IS NOTHING OF SCALE TO REFERENCE IT TO IN THE PHOTO. LIKE A PENNY, OR SOMEONES HAND, OR A GUY STANDING NEXT TO A DRAWING OF A BRONTOSAURUS.....

HOW ON EARTH DOES IT LOOK LIKE A KIDS GUITAR ANY MORE THAN ANY OTHER RANDOM STOCK PHOTO OF A STRAT?

they look exactly the fucking same
No other reference than a full-size Strat or Tele necessary. Neither have really big bodies. That means a smaller one is a small guitar.

Look at the Strat's upper horn. On the full size Strat, the body meets up with the neck around the 16th fret. On the short scale, it's at the 15th fret. Makes sense because there are only 20 frets, which you only ever see on mini / travel guitars and acoustics.

The distance between the bridge and the edge of the body is much smaller on the short scale. The jack plate is squeezed in there and looks like it doesn't belong. Two knobs instead of three. Etc.

Even the Tele is different, they very obviously shortened the overall length and trimmed the waste by doing so. I am happy that we're getting more 24" scale guitars and I want to play the Tele, but I don't understand why it wasn't possible to create a 21- or even 22-fret short scale neck on a full-size body without looking stupid. I might have to try and draw out something like that.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

These look pish. It's fender finally putting shortscale necks on all the boring rubbish you wouldn't buy anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Shortscale Jazz Bass seems cooooool.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

I figured out how to fix the Tele for me - a new custom, hybrid pickguard, single ply black, that combines the neck-side of the body normal Tele pickguard with the bridge side Tele Thinline for the controls. With no neck pickup (Esquire), and just the two knobs. So you would end up with a short-scale, black-guard (ish) Esquire.
But I need to hold one, first. Depends on the neck shape.

Sketch(y)

A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Rox

Post by Rox »

robroe wrote:
Rox wrote:I couldn't find what the bodies are. A lot of the Modern Players are mahogany . You think they might be alder?

OHHHH GOD NOW WE ARE GONNA START WITH THE ALDER BULLSHIT ? WHAT IS THIS 1998 ?

FUCK SAKE PEOPLE WE ARE ABOVE THIS

I guess we will. Seems like a legit question. But CAPS me if you don't know either. :?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

For 80 years I hhave listened to amber switch tips tell me yeah X guitar is OK but its basswood. Basswood doesn't resonate\dents easy\doesnt sustain\isnt a professional guitar\insert corksniff here\would totally buy one if it was alder
Rox

Post by Rox »

I'd buy one either or. I'm just curious. Basswood is nice in my opinion. I prefer 69 Stang RIs for the basswood. It just strips easier when you're taking them apart and reassembling.
Heck, pine would even be ok. Soft but sounds good.
I want a Tele one . Blond. That Guild style humbucker is a killer idea.
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Who has said that the basswood is shit? Let's take the Squier Vintage Modified guitars/Classic Vibe Duo Sonic...
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

And I just finished building that 25.5" Duo, only to see these and start re-thinking my shortscale likings. I think I still prefer 25.5"
finboy

Post by finboy »

awesome, when do we find out what amazing colours fender japan gets for these models? :lol:
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

robroe wrote:For 80 years I hhave listened to amber switch tips tell me yeah X guitar is OK but its basswood. Basswood doesn't resonate\dents easy\doesnt sustain\isnt a professional guitar\insert corksniff here\would totally buy one if it was alder
Yeah I dont get this. Basswood and alder are so similar.

Then you look at high end suhr and Ibanez's using basswood etc. Of course it is a good tone wood. There is nothing wrong with it at all
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

"Doesn't sustain" or "doesn't resonate" is BS, but it is really soft, that much is true. It's also usually less attractive than alder. So, you mostly see it being used on guitars that have thick urethane finishes, and solid colors. Which, if a company offers anything else, usually only goes on the cheapest models. Hell, if I remember right, for a while even MIJ Jags and JMs had alder bodies for sunburst only, with the solid colors being basswood. And isn't it also cheaper to buy than alder? Doesn't mean it's shit, they sound so alike, but I'm pretty sure all that is how the "alder is way better than basswood" thing got started.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Basswood is cheaper for the fact it's easier to work with. I personally love Basswood.
In my opinion it's the finish that helps the resonance . Thick finishes takes away. Any of the Modern Players I've messed with so far have been pretty good. Especially the mahogany Strat. For a cheaper Chinese made Strat it plays really well. The Mustang is prolly the best one I think. Even the p90s do well for a cheap guitar.
These Shortscales by the look of them will be awesome and they'll prolly be cheap in the States. Most likely Classic Vibe territory on price.