Aw, nuts

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

mixtape

Aw, nuts

Post by mixtape »

Would I be getting in over my head trying to replace a nut myself? Can I do an adequate job without shelling out for a bunch of specialized tools that aren't already in my basement? I'm looking to replace the shitty plastic nut on the Mockingbird with bone, and if I DIY it, I'd go with a pre-slotted nut from Stew-Mac(so there's less I can screw up. On the one hand, I'm sure my tech could do it quickly and do it right. On the other hand, there's no way I'm going to learn unless I take a crack at it myself. Opinions?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

if its already pre-slotted its easy.

just tap the old one out and slide the new one in with some sticky.

i never over sticky it because #1 the strings will hold it down, and #2 using .13's im probably going to have to replace it again when i bust the low E slot again.
dots wrote:incesticide
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

The more I know, the less I have to rely on others. I can't fix cars or computers, but I can fix guitars. If you plan on playing them, try little things like that and see if you like it. You can buy the pre-slotted and glue it in with Elmers or Titebond, so you can remove it later. I use Titebond. Glue it the right direction and make sure it's centered. You may want to sand the sides if it doesn't fit perfectly. It's fun if you like monkeying.

A Dremel is a useful tool for anyone. I put a cylinder sanding bit on mine and shape a bone nut in five minutes. I rough it in that way and then shine it up with 220 sandpaper. Nut files are pricey at Stew Mac, but others sell equivalent files and also have sales. The main one I use has a thicker handle and two sided blades. I also use a needle file set you can get from a place like Harbor Freight for $3. A real nut file is thinner than a hacksaw but thicker than an Exacto knife. Exactos are too flimsy.

The biggest trick to making them is making sure you get the slots lined up right. Cut the slots to the depth of a string or so. Sand or file the edges so the string moves smoothly through.
Yell Like Hell
cur

Post by cur »

What could go wrong? BFH it.

DesmondWafers

Post by DesmondWafers »

I ordered a pre cut one, sanded the bottom a bit and wood glued it to my tele. Works fine for me. If a legitimate guitar tech saw it he would probably tell me I did a horrible job but it works just fine for me.
George

Post by George »

a pre cut nut is fine but you're likely not going to get optimum playability without using some files/saws to sort the slots out. the nut could be all over the place, or it could be fine (with some luck)

you should also probably clear out the slot of any old glue etc if you're going for a tight setup.

nut crafting to be a bit of a dark art but i'm hoping get into next on my guitar maintenance journey. having a good tech do it makes an insane difference to how low your action can go.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

I bought the nut and some needle files and razor saws. I should be able to get the slots to about the same size and depth as on the old one.
61fury

My First Nut

Post by 61fury »

I did my first nut ( it was pre slotted) on a friend's first guitar; worse a "Martin" Stinger, so nostalgia and inflated sense of worth kick in to make me really nervous. The nut slot was curved, I botched the width had to fill with sawdust. Then I filed the slot too low to level it for a flat nut. Then I ran into the truss rod and had to notch the middle of the nut to fit. A friend told me to tape 3 hacksaw blades together to act as a file for the nut slot.
Now the nut sat too low, and the slots had to be filed to keep the strings from popping out. Couldn't go lower so I gently filed the back of the nut so the strings stayed seated. That sounds just awful but it worked out ok. got the right amount of clearance on the first fret. It helps in that he doesn't really play his electric anymore, he's more into banjos , mandolins, that kind of shit.
The point is if I could bumble fuck that up, surely you could too, with much less effort.. no fee was involved. I wish I had done one of my own first, much less pressure that way. Oh yeah ,I had to invest in the nut files, but I own them now, I got the kind with the handles, seemed to work fine.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

robroe wrote:if its already pre-slotted its easy.

just tap the old one out and slide the new one in with some sticky.
Filing the slots for your preferred gauge of strings of course, unless you want this:
robroe wrote:until i bust the low E slot again.
to happen more than once in your life.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

only nuts I've ever broke have been those cheap plastic Gibson style ones. haven't had a problem with any other ones.
DGG

Post by DGG »

TUSQ nuts are great.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I broke a original sixties one when I was trying out thirteens on my Duo Sonic.

Still need to get the crappy one on my Jaguar sorted :x
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Well, it ain't pretty (note the ugly cardboard shims and the piece I chipped and glued back on), but it's done.

From a more flattering distance:

Next we'll see how it actually plays.