Let's talk Jazzmaster pick-ups.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Let's talk Jazzmaster pick-ups.

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Very exciting. Got myself a Jazzmaster fixer up to do. Now Hurb has kindly given me the lippy pickups with it and I'm not quite sure if I'm going to use them or not. Will throw them into another guitar if not, the Benecololocaster needs some lovin', so I might throw one in the bridge there - if that's possible.

What I want to know is that, I've been out of the fixing and modding game since around about 2010, earnestly. What is good these days for a UK chap with regards to getting good quality, authentic sounding, low/medium output Jazzmaster pick-ups? I want to make this guitar a smooth operator with good cleans. A real... Jazz.. Mastah.. you might say.. (sorry). Bootstrap me Shortscale, bring me up to speed. Are we still loving GFS? Do they exist still? Is there some new British brand I haven't heard of?

Let me swim in your knowledge lakes, let me rove your pickup know how dales.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Buy the AVRI pickups that people take out - they're brilliant. Start prowling the classifieds at OSG.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

There's the Creamery and Cat's Whisker as far as UK makers go, but if you don't mind the expense of importing from the States Curtis Novak makes excellent sets.
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

I personally would go talk to Marc at mojo pickups.

I also find the vintage JM bridge pickup as weak as watered down fosters.
I would go for something overwound. It doesn't make it lairy, it makes it a lot fuller like the neck pickup.

£80 - £90 for a custom set off of mojo I think.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

lol, I was looking at getting that but pussied out. I saw that Squier Jazzmaster pickups are kinda cheap on Ebay. Quite good as well.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

Yep, Mojo pickups.

I've got his pups in my Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang. I believe his JM pups are his bestselling ones. Decent prices too.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

The AVRI bridge pickup is just great. I'd recommend a set of AVRIs, you really can't do much better.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

It needs humbuckers, fairly obviously.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I love the stock pickups in my J Mascis Jazzmaster (purple sparkle), though I believe they are a little hotter than standard JM pickups.

I would stick with AVRI or possibly Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Rox

Post by Rox »

ekwatts wrote:It needs humbuckers, fairly obviously.

He said Jazzmaster pickups .. You know.. Of the Jazzmaster variety .. If he wanted a shitty humbuckity jazzmaster with humbuckers he could of gotten a Modern Player .. :P
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

On a budget I'll second the Squier versions. Folk swap them out because they aren't the real deal but in my experience they sound really good, better than the CIJ Fender pups by a mile.
If you want to go the whole way look at SD Antiquity or Fralins.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Gotta agree that hotter JM pickups sound great. I quite liked the GFS "Hot" JM pickups that came in the Xaviere I had. I bought a set of Lollars for it, but ended up putting the GFS back in :shock:
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

Dillon wrote:Gotta agree that hotter JM pickups sound great. I quite liked the GFS "Hot" JM pickups that came in the Xaviere I had. I bought a set of Lollars for it, but ended up putting the GFS back in :shock:
Please post that on OSG, I beg you.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Duncan HOT FOR JAZZMASTER all damn day. They're wild cheap on eBay.

And you don't even have to be a rich amber switch tip nerd to buy them.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Johno

Post by Johno »

benecol wrote:Buy the AVRI pickups that people take out - they're brilliant. Start prowling the classifieds at OSG.
Agree AVRI are great as are SD Antiquity II's.
I picked up a set of AVRI's for my partsmaster for £50 over at OSG, start a thread in the OSG wanted section, I reckon someone is sat on a set.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Rox wrote:

He said Jazzmaster pickups .. You know.. Of the Jazzmaster variety .. If he wanted a shitty humbuckity jazzmaster with humbuckers he could of gotten a Modern Player .. :P
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by ekwatts on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Johno

Post by Johno »

ekwatts wrote:
Rox wrote:

[Robroe][youtube][/youtube][Robroe/]
[quote/]
Rox

Post by Rox »

ekwatts wrote:
Rox wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Ok? That was retarded. :roll:
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Looks like a decent deal has come up for me on some Creamery's Extra Wide Jizzmorster pickups. Think I'm gonna shoot for them at the end of ze month when le pay comes into mon banke account. Avery pickups did seem p cool but the prices were a lot higher and I could only seem to see singles going for the cursory internet search job I did.

You feeling these pickups homeys? Are they going to make me sound like the Tony Montana of the guitar world? I've read generally good reviews so I think I'm going to buy them whateve's but it'd be nice to see what you guys think innit.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I bought my Squier VM jazz master with the idea of swapping the pickups, but honestly I think they sound pretty damn good!