Jay Turser Mustang (Pics inside)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

SooperD

Jay Turser Mustang (Pics inside)

Post by SooperD »

Awhile ago I picked up one of the Jay Turser Mustang Clones to play around with. Overall it is a great feeling and playing guitar, the only downside being that the stock pickups are worse than awful.

Nice Sonic Blue finish :D

Angle of the bridge and neck

Vintage style tuners which I love

Nice contour on the body too. Very comfortable to play.

Routed for two single coils

Here is a Fender Mustang pickguard on it. Most of the screw holes lined up, the only place that would not fit was by the control plate as you can see.

Control plate wiring

Here are the stock pickups, if you could call them that :x Seriously, they feel like some cheap toy from a dollar store or something. They sounded OK, but very quiet. I replaced them with a Super Distortion S in the bridge and a GuitarFetish Hot Rails (10k) in the neck.

Looks much nicer with regular Mustang pickup covers

Here you can see how much the lighting changes the shade of the color, it's very sharp looking 8)
Rox

Post by Rox »

That's a good score. I guess you couldn't wait to get home to snap some shots and found the closest furniture store. That's some good shit, there. I wonder if the neck pocket will fit a Mustang neck. A Belinda Butcher Special done on the cheap.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Huh, I forgot these existed. There's also a matching headstock version. Wish they came in LPB. Can you post a close up of the saddles? Also wondering if the neck angle was like that when you got it?

I too wonder if a Mustang or Jaguar neck would fit on it, Turser doesn't even have the scale length on their website. The pickguard does look a little funky, especially with a Jag trem on it, but I would love to have a Mustang with a good Jag trem, always preferred that over the Mustang trem. And it looks like they can be had for around $150 US, that's a steal!
61fury

Post by 61fury »

I'd do something with that awful headstock, . You might shave down the Mustang guard to meet the control plate, unless it's too precious to do that. Or would a Mustang control plate fit? Nice angle on the neck and bridge, looks like low action. Beautiful otherwise, especially for the money.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

61fury wrote:I'd do something with that awful headstock
Could be shaved down to a Tele shape and look pretty good.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
SooperD

Post by SooperD »

Thanks for the replies!!! The scale of the guitar is 24" and Fender Necks will fit it. The neck did have that angle when i got it, there is a small shim in the neck pocket. Moar pics here!!!

Bridge close ups

Neck Shim

A few other things about this guitar
-The switches and bridge on this thing ARE NOT GROUNDED :x it buzzes a little bit with distortion on unless you are touching the strings or switches
-Thimbles holes for bridge are drilled so deep, there is only the finish over it (mine got dinged in my case and now i can see the hole from the back)

Don't let these things put you off though, it is still a very nice guitar for the money.

Oh and its hard to explain about the furniture store :lol:
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

That bridge looks awesome! It's a clone of a Mosrite bridge basically. Once I saw one, I always wished something similar would've come on Fender guitars.

But it's fixed radius. Do you know what the neck radius is? Also, do you by chance have any other short scales to compare it to? Would love to know if the thimbles are the same size as a regular Jag / JM / Mustang bridge.

P.S. - Forgot to say, welcome :lol:
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I like it. The bridge saddles are very intriguing, great idea coupled with the Jaguar trem.
The headstock shape is the only thing I dislike but that has always been a compromise with most copied guitars.

Is it true 24" scale or does it use a conversion neck?
94CIJMustang

Post by 94CIJMustang »

Bridge close ups

That bridge it wacky! but it looks amazing!

Awesome guitar, love the finish
paul_

Post by paul_ »

When I saw that bridge I got excited thinking "ooo, the Jay Turser Mosrite copies must have an accurate bridge!"
But alas, they have that ugly Wilkinson roller instead.

I like the neck pitch and the Jag trem, both great ideas.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
chadmo1

Post by chadmo1 »

Very cool. I am having a custom guitar built that is a Mustang with a Jag vibrato. I should hopefully have it soon. I may have to find one of these to compare it to mine when I get it.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Question: what makes a Bilnda Stang a Bilinda Stang? Not sure what's different about her guitar... Enlighten me :)
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
And this is why you, sir, are an educator for a living.
dren68

Post by dren68 »

singlepickup24 wrote:Question: what makes a Bilnda Stang a Bilinda Stang? Not sure what's different about her guitar... Enlighten me :)
The Jag/JM vibrato on a Mustang body.

cur

Post by cur »

mezzio13 wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:
might could go with a small fender headstock. not sure if it would be out of balance without a mock up.

nightceiling

Post by nightceiling »

could you measure actual nut width? what is the neck profile like?

curious about these as well as the SX 3/4 guitars with 1.5" nut width on them.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

cur wrote:
mezzio13 wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote: Could be shaved down to a Tele shape and look pretty good.
might could go with a small fender headstock. not sure if it would be out of balance without a mock up.

Why did you use nightmare fuel inverted color??
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.