Classic Player series gets a makeover.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Beau

Post by Beau »

George wrote:
Beau In Space wrote:What are the benefits of buying a Fender +$700.00 as opposed to, for less currency, buying fine pickups and electronics to wire into a Warmoth body with whatever neck you enjoy?
If you do the math on a warmoth body and a neck you enjoy it's probably still quite expensive. Also the resale is terrible on custom jobs so you'd likely lose more overall
$300.00 body
$150 used neck
$70 hardware
$40 wiring

That leaves enough for any pickup set you want with some left over.

If you are prone to swapping through guitars, I suppose this is not a swell option.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

singlepickup24 wrote:
OK, so my next question is how the QC of a MIM Jazzmaster might compare to that of the Squier JMJM. I felt the JMJM held its own against the MIJ JM. Haven't played a Classic Player in a long time, so can't really recall...
The good Japanese stuff feels more like the vintage versions, the Classic players feel like quality modern versions (which make sense cos that's what they are). I only got rid of my Classic Player Jaguar because I prefer the vintage raduis. Being someone with primarily vintage guitars I was really pleasantly surprised of the build, fit and finish of the Classic Player. The only negative aspect was the wiring, but that's an easy fix.

The higher end Mexican stuff seems to be getting better and better where I'd say the the Japanese stuff is nowhere near as good as it used to be. The '94 Jaguar I had was a totally different standard to the later ones I had (I never should have sold it, it was really vintage correct, they used to have the brass shielding in there etc etc.). My Baja Tele is easily as good as my mates (almost identical) Fender USA version.

I think the JM Jazzy sits right in the middle of the Squier/Classic Player quality wise (I was playing one yesterday). Maybe someone who has both versions to hand can give you more of a direct comparison.
George

Post by George »

Beau In Space wrote:
George wrote:
Beau In Space wrote:What are the benefits of buying a Fender +$700.00 as opposed to, for less currency, buying fine pickups and electronics to wire into a Warmoth body with whatever neck you enjoy?
If you do the math on a warmoth body and a neck you enjoy it's probably still quite expensive. Also the resale is terrible on custom jobs so you'd likely lose more overall
$300.00 body
$150 used neck
$70 hardware
$40 wiring

That leaves enough for any pickup set you want with some left over.

If you are prone to swapping through guitars, I suppose this is not a swell option.
This is ambitious imo but kudos to you if you could make a guitar to the same standard of parts, and bearing in mind you're only $140 shy of 700. I'm hardly an expert on being thrifty though
Beau

Post by Beau »

There are so many guitar parts floating on message boards. Thrifting together something of equal quality would not be as costly. Plus, you could afford better pickups than the Fen-stock.

I said $700.00, but the current CS guits are at $800.00 new with resale around $600.00.

I dunno, the past two that I have put together have a more intimate feel.

If I am going to lose money, I at least want to touch some guts.

When it comes down to it, doesn't matter. Buy wutcha want, Gerg.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

$70 hardware? Where are you buying it at that price?
Shabba.
Beau

Post by Beau »

James wrote:$70 hardware? Where are you buying it at that price?
That's what I spent on my Telemaster parts.

No trem system, though. Tuners were in the Tele neck I bought as well.

Spend $150.00 on hardware if you wish and you'll still have $160.00 for pickups.

Also parts are rock bottom prices on message boards like TGP.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I splurged on the American Facepalm series neck for the Shadowmaster, and it was totally worth it. At this point, I think I'm over $150 necks. I'd rather spend the extra HARD ROCK HUNDY and get a great neck.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Thomas wrote:
singlepickup24 wrote:
OK, so my next question is how the QC of a MIM Jazzmaster might compare to that of the Squier JMJM. I felt the JMJM held its own against the MIJ JM. Haven't played a Classic Player in a long time, so can't really recall...
The good Japanese stuff feels more like the vintage versions, the Classic players feel like quality modern versions (which make sense cos that's what they are). I only got rid of my Classic Player Jaguar because I prefer the vintage raduis. Being someone with primarily vintage guitars I was really pleasantly surprised of the build, fit and finish of the Classic Player. The only negative aspect was the wiring, but that's an easy fix.

The higher end Mexican stuff seems to be getting better and better where I'd say the the Japanese stuff is nowhere near as good as it used to be. The '94 Jaguar I had was a totally different standard to the later ones I had (I never should have sold it, it was really vintage correct, they used to have the brass shielding in there etc etc.). My Baja Tele is easily as good as my mates (almost identical) Fender USA version.

I think the JM Jazzy sits right in the middle of the Squier/Classic Player quality wise (I was playing one yesterday). Maybe someone who has both versions to hand can give you more of a direct comparison.
Thanks again... More very useful insight. I'm looking forward to trying the new CP series now!
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

George wrote:i think the break angle caused by the trem does affect tone is as much as a sharper angle increases sustain and bottom end, and helps keep strings from popping due to less compliance. probably marginal compared with the move from a hearty TOM to the floating style bridge though. that change will definitely decrease sustain and bottom end, but is part of that vintage sound.
I won both types of Jags (CP avri mij etc) I cant tell a difference in sound thats comparable as they all have completely different pickups in them.

The only noticable change other than the visual one is the feel in string tension. The CP strings aren't quite as slinky and they offer up a bit more fight.
I happily play both. If everyone is so anti perhaps it will mean more cheap Jags and JMs which is never a bad thing
meltedbuzzbox

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

gusman2x wrote:I reckon if these would come in at the £700 mark, then that'd probably be a pretty fair price. The made in Mexico stuff is pretty ace, and having nitro is nice if you want the guitar to age like an old one. However, I reckon these will retail for around a grand, which is a bit too much in my opinion. The price hike for the classic lacquer strats and teles over the "normal" poly strats and teles was unwarranted to be honest.

Plus, fuck it in the ass if it's got headstock truss access.
I suspect you are right on the £1000 price point

The current range is around £820 at the moment I think. Add nitro and a vintage placement bridge and a fender calculator = £1000+

I have to admit though, I would really like a headstock truss rod adjustment, I hate taking the neck off and fucking about for a minor tweak
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

You really think they'll be that much? The Troy van Leeuwen one is <£1000. Okay, so it's not nitro but does come with a hardcase. Might be a hard sell at >£1000.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

meltedbuzzbox wrote:I have to admit though, I would really like a headstock truss rod adjustment, I hate taking the neck off and fucking about for a minor tweak
Burn the witch *amber* *amber* *amber* *amber*
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Rox

Post by Rox »

BearBoy wrote:You really think they'll be that much? The Troy van Leeuwen one is <£1000. Okay, so it's not nitro but does come with a hardcase. Might be a hard sell at >£1000.
With a good case, the typical candy the throw in it etc., etc, I think it's worth the money. It's a really nice Jazzmaster.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

theshadowofseattle wrote:The American Facepalm Series
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Beau

Post by Beau »

theshadowofseattle wrote:I splurged on the American Facepalm series neck for the Shadowmaster, and it was totally worth it. At this point, I think I'm over $150 necks. I'd rather spend the extra HARD ROCK HUNDY and get a great neck.
I can dig it. However, this $150 Mexican Telecaster neck on my Jazzcaster is oiled-up-ethereal.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Beau In Space wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:I splurged on the American Facepalm series neck for the Shadowmaster, and it was totally worth it. At this point, I think I'm over $150 necks. I'd rather spend the extra HARD ROCK HUNDY and get a great neck.
I can dig it. However, this $150 Mexican Telecaster neck on my Jazzcaster is oiled-up-ethereal.
What year? I got a 90-something MIM tele neck that is redonkulous.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I had a 94 MIM Strat and never really liked the neck.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Rox wrote:
BearBoy wrote:You really think they'll be that much? The Troy van Leeuwen one is <£1000. Okay, so it's not nitro but does come with a hardcase. Might be a hard sell at >£1000.
With a good case, the typical candy the throw in it etc., etc, I think it's worth the money. It's a really nice Jazzmaster.
I agree. Probably wasn't clear with what I was trying to say. I think the TVL one is worth £990 or whatever they go for over here but, given that, trying to sell a revised CP without a hard case at over £1000 would be tricky.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

US site has these up now for $999:

Road worn sunburst Jazzmaster

Surf green Jazzmaster

Fiesta red Jaguar

Road worn CAR Jaguar

Nitro finishes and non-locking trems. They have the AV65 pickups too.

Looks like they are "Classic" series rather than "Classic Player".
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Some pics: