Pedal Board Patch Cables...What are Peeps Using?.Best Value?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

JohnnyTheBoy

Pedal Board Patch Cables...What are Peeps Using?.Best Value?

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

Just what it says on the tin...
Am looking at pros & cons of the hardwired no solder stuff...Diago, Lava, George L etc...
Looking to spend about £40 for enough leads to sort 10 pedals...
thinnest cables possible...
What are you guys using? Any bad experiences? UK availability...
Looking for smallest plug sizes too...Damn! I'm picky lol!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Cheap cables from Thomann, cables I got for free with new Boss pedalboards, and old patch cables (some of which I had to resolder jacks on).

No bad experiences with the new ones. None of them has gone bad.

I've had the Boss ones from the early 2000s and the Thomann ones for about 8 years.

In fact no problem soldering jacks on the old ones either.
Last edited by Fakir Mustache on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Cheap cables from Thomann, cables I got for free with new Boss pedalboards, and old patch cables (some of which I had to resolder jacks on).

No bad experiences with the new ones. None of them has gone bad.

In fact no problem soldering jacks on the old ones either.
Yeh, I'm a dab hand with the iron, but I fancied something a bit different...
I've usually always made my own cables up, or bought the cheapy cheap ones for a couple of quid each, but I figured it's about time i Invested in the tidier, proper jobs that are available...
Anyone rate the lava tightrope stuff?...
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

I used to have all sorts of ready made cables. Then one day I replaced everything on my pedal board with George L's. At the time it must have been around 10 pedals in there and the difference in sound quality was immense, so much clarity afterwards, not to mention that the G L's wire is rather thin so it looked much tidier too.
I really cant remember how much I spent (I also bought the thicker cables for Guitar-pedals-Amp) but it doesn't really matter as literally I have been using the same cables for 10 (TEN!) years having only to reset 4-5 plugs, surely worth every single cent I spent.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I recently bought a set of these - ebay link

Works out £1.68 a cable. 2 sets would cost you a little under £17 and be enough for 10 pedals with one left over.

I've barely used them so far so can't say anything about the longevity but that's incredibly cheap for that style of jack.
Shabba.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Boss do short little patch cables that are perfect for pedals that are close together. The right-angle plugs are smaller, so stompboxes with the Boss-style 'input and output jacks on the sides' arrangement can be squeezed closer together.

I've not tried solderless cables though, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. As far as longer cables go, I swear by Planet Waves. I've had mine for nearly ten years, and only now are they showing signs of crackle and drop-outs in signal. They weren't in the high-end cork-sniffer category last time I checked.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I had a load of George L's but sold them all when I severely downsized my pedalboard. Now I use pedal couplers and some cables from a company called Kabl with pancake jacks which seem to be good - but considering what they cost i'm going to buy the jacks from Thomann and make some myself in future.
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

James wrote:I recently bought a set of these - ebay link

Works out £1.68 a cable. 2 sets would cost you a little under £17 and be enough for 10 pedals with one left over.

I've barely used them so far so can't say anything about the longevity but that's incredibly cheap for that style of jack.
Ok James...Yeh I've got some of those, or at least those style of plugs, as well as Neutrix and I'm trying to get some even smaller in size... hence the query.... they are pretty good tho...
Concretebadger wrote: Boss do short little patch cables that are perfect for pedals that are close together. The right-angle plugs are smaller, so stompboxes with the Boss-style 'input and output jacks on the sides' arrangement can be squeezed closer together

Aahh they sound good...bet they not cheap tho! I guess I'm being picky, but I want to get them to as small as possible on my board, so I guess making them up is the way to go!
johnnyseven wrote: I had a load of George L's but sold them all when I severely downsized my pedalboard. Now I use pedal couplers and some cables from a company called Kabl with pancake jacks which seem to be good - but considering what they cost i'm going to buy the jacks from Thomann and make some myself in future.
Damn!! I guess I missed out on those you sold then! It seems the George L's are received well all over including the US...
It's funny that pancake plugs are coming back, as i used to use them back in the 90's, and I assumed they weren't upto the job then...but looks like I was wrong!! :oops:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think the pancake ones are fine but flimsy. So perfect for a pedalboard then.
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

BacchusPaul wrote:I think the pancake ones are fine but flimsy. So perfect for a pedalboard then.
Yeh I guess that has always been my opinion of them...Maplins still sell them if you're stuck for them!

LavaCables are making a kit with plugs by Switchcraft called "Lava 229"
I find those pancake style plugs a bugger to pull out tho, hence wanting something slightly bigger, but less than a Neutrix...
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I've been rocking a 10 pack of really shitty cheap Radioshack patch cords between my pedals for about 10 years. No problems or ghastly signal loss, but then again I use a true bypass looper so I only run 4 pedals at a given time.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Venom Adders. Before that had a load of shitty Maplins ones.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Using Jonnyseven's George L's, plus a few more, and a few Mooer George L-lookalikes (which are just soldered cables).

While I'm not fussed about the supposed benefits, the size of the jacks and cable means they fit great on my monster Casa Bonita board, which feat. a programmable switcher, so has loads of cables.

Not cheap, but does the job and I haven't had one shit out on me yet.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Like Doog, when I used George L's I never had any issues - so don't listen to anyone who says that are unreliable.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Likewise - used George Ls for many years now and never any issues.
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

Doog wrote:Using Jonnyseven's George L's, plus a few more, and a few Mooer George L-lookalikes (which are just soldered cables).

While I'm not fussed about the supposed benefits, the size of the jacks and cable means they fit great on my monster Casa Bonita board, which feat. a programmable switcher, so has loads of cables.

Not cheap, but does the job and I haven't had one shit out on me yet.
Good stuff! I was thinking along the lines of those mooer ones, but a lot of places have stopped doing them...cheap enough tho!

Lots of good advice on here from all posters...cheers guys!

Well my budget couldn't stretch to the George L's, and checking the Planet Waves reviews has turned me off those...So!...have bit the bullet and bought a set of Lava Cable Tightropes off the bay...
Think I got a good deal at £45 quid including free postage..they have the better quality Ultramafic cable rather than the normal stuff...
"Ultramafic Solid silver plated 20 gauge, 32 pF/ft capacitance patch cable"
Will need more Jack plugs tho or use other plugs on the leftover cable!

EBay item # 161390392052

Thanks all!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

JohnnyTheBoy wrote: "Ultramafic Solid silver plated 20 gauge, 32 pF/ft capacitance patch cable"
Mmmm, snake-oily.

Seriously, a good buffer will level the playing field far more than any mojomagic cable will do, but I'm happy that you're happy.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:
JohnnyTheBoy wrote: "Ultramafic Solid silver plated 20 gauge, 32 pF/ft capacitance patch cable"
Mmmm, snake-oily.

Seriously, a good buffer will level the playing field far more than any mojomagic cable will do, but I'm happy that you're happy.
Still waiting for Tim to work out how to make patch cables out of klon buffers.