NSSD - Fender Super-Sonic XII

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

wadeaminute

NSSD - Fender Super-Sonic XII

Post by wadeaminute »

Here it is - a red sparkle Fender Super-Sonic that I bought (along with an orange one) when they were blowing them out. I've had it converted to a 12-string by the gentleman who converts telecasters. So, a 12-string shortscale.

The larger neck on the Fenders (vs. the Squiers) works well for the extra strings. I still might gut it and install new pickups and pots and such.

So that is #9 - all three Fender colours, all four Squier colours, and an extra white, and an extra silver painted coral pink.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Cool as mince man.
J0K1

Post by J0K1 »

I love sparkle colors. :P
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Cool beans.

You done a baritone one yet?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

That's so sweet. Prolly the only one in the world.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

Thanks, y'all.
Not a baritone. A 30" scale bass would be cool.
I'd actually like to do a metal one - Floyd Rose and an EMG. Maybe my black one?
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Fantastic idea!
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Love it, how bout some sound clips?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

singlepickup24 wrote:That's so sweet. Prolly the only one in the world.
yep. not that it matters since it's so cool, but i wonder if it ups the value or not.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

dots wrote:
yep. not that it matters since it's so cool, but i wonder if it ups the value or not.
Probably not. I was asking the same question in a guitar shop near. And he told me i dont get any money from upgrades.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

I'm not worried about the value. It's mine.
Still, let's consider the value - A failed guitar, which was a re-issue of a failed guitar. Which was blown out for $349. In what is probably the worst colour. Permanently damaged/altered. And I spent more on the conversion and shipping than the guitar. I think about $470. Plus the customs fees to Canada. Plus the exchange rate to Canadian. So I probably have about $900 - $1000 into a guitar worth, what, $500?
But it is the only one. And it makes sense in my collection.
A 12-string, short-scale, upside-down, sparkly guitar. I still think I win.
Here's a neat idea - I could swap the neck and bridge at will and have a different colour and configuration of 12-string every week.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

wadeaminute wrote:I'm not worried about the value. It's mine.

A 12-string, short-scale, upside-down, sparkly guitar. I still think I win.
Yeah, I think you do as well.

Your collection of Super-Sonics is fabulous. Love the fact you've stuck with a guitar you love and have tweaked them to cover all the bases.

Do you have any guitars that aren't Super-Sonics?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
finboy

Post by finboy »

Awesome, how is restringing it? Looked like a chore when I first looked at that style of neck
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

It's got fresh strings on it, so no idea how hard it is to restring yet. The thicker strings will be the same, other than I can't use my winder. The thin strings are the ones that go through the new holes through the face of the headstock. It arrived with instructions, so we'll see.
It will be super easy at the bridge end - the tick ones go through the trem block as usual, and the then ones are top mounted.

I've never posted a video or a sound clip before, and it is not a priority at the moment. The stock humbuckers are hot, but it sounds good (clean and jangly) with the neck pickup's volume rolled down 25%. I am currently living a few thousand kms from my good amp (a Mesa Mini Rectifier), and only have a 2 watt Marshall to play through here, so I shall wait until it is played through a proper amp for a more substantial review.

If I don't like the stock electronics, I will change them up. Maybe a Fender XII in the bridge position and a Filter'tron for the neck?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

weeping_moon wrote:
dots wrote:
Probably not. I was asking the same question in a guitar shop near. And he told me i dont get any money from upgrades.
While your shop dude is correct with regards to upgrades (and nothing peeves me more than seeing k0rnfreak2002 trying to flip a $200 Squier with a $100 pickup set in it for $300 on eBay) I wouldn't say a 12-string conversion could be considered an "upgrade". Nobody shopping for a regular SS would buy this guitar thinking it had been improved upon in Super Sonic terms, but plenty of people looking for a 12-string in the Fender format might spring for it over a vintage XII, Strat XII or Vista Venus, depending on their tastes/what they plan on using it for.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

I actually just sold my Squier Venus XII. Would have been redundant now, anyways.
The Venus XII is quite nice. And I wouldn't argue that my new one is better. But I prefer custom and modified to stock, and shortscale to standard Fender-scale, so I'm good.
What would be funny is if Squier drops a XII this coming year in one of the colours that I like - Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, and / or a sparkle that I don't have. Especially funny would be if they release it in Red Sparkle.
At least I didn't pay full price for the Super-Sonic.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I would almost be tempted to switch the tuners that hold the high strings to locking tuners, and eliminate a potential major headache.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

finboy wrote:I would almost be tempted to switch the tuners that hold the high strings to locking tuners, and eliminate a potential major headache.
My fellow Canadian - that is genius. I wish that came up earlier - the installed tuners (mini Hipshots), I believe, are cemented in place. I wonder if that would have worked? And why it wasn't suggested.

I am tempted now to take of the high e and figure out the procedure.